Dinosaurs and man living side by side

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Dinosaurs and man living side by side

Postby CocoAUS » 2007-06-16 18:09

EDIT: WARNING: Music plays right away, watch your volume level :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1827593433

So if you hate creationists and think they're stupid, leave that aside and address the issue. Isn't some of this rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?
User avatar
CocoAUS
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2007-04-29 08:40

Postby davidlb » 2007-06-16 18:58

wow. That is all
“Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.” -
Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.
User avatar
davidlb
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 2007-03-08 02:56
Location: USA

Re: Dinosaurs and man living side by side

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2007-06-16 19:13

CocoAUS wrote:EDIT: WARNING: Music plays right away, watch your volume level :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1827593433

So if you hate creationists and think they're stupid, leave that aside and address the issue. Isn't some of this rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?


Hear, Hear!
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

Postby actionM » 2007-06-16 19:23

Evolution skiped that first guy thats talking. He still looks like a monkey.
User avatar
actionM
 
Posts: 897
Joined: 2007-05-01 02:11

Postby Lavene » 2007-06-16 19:38

I miss some references... Where is it documented? Who are those people they refer to that made such discoveries? Names, locations, maps, photos....
Anyone into creationism here that might know?

Tina

PS: This is a highly volatile topic and (very very off topic). Please let it not evolve into something ugly.
PPS: Yes yes... I know. I'm terrible
;)
Lavene
Site admin
 
Posts: 5096
Joined: 2006-01-04 04:26
Location: Oslo, Norway

Postby CocoAUS » 2007-06-16 20:05

Lavene wrote:I miss some references... Where is it documented? Who are those people they refer to that made such discoveries? Names, locations, maps, photos....


The video isn't meant to be an in-depth argument, just meant to present data. The weird-looking guy is Ken Ham from Answers In Genesis, where much of the evidence/pictures/references can be found. A quick Google-fu session will go a long way in finding stuff to backup their claims (even Wikipedia helps).

Kent Hovind is a guy who gives presentations on this sort of thing, and he cites many sources, has the pictures, scans of documents, etc. I'm hesitant to reference him, however, because he's used some arguments that most of the creationist community doesn't believe should be used, and for a number of reasons, the community has distanced itself from him. Still, incase you want a long video with plenty of historical data, pictures, sources, etc, try http://tinyurl.com/2jsvcm
User avatar
CocoAUS
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2007-04-29 08:40

Postby Telemachus » 2007-06-16 20:15

CocoAUS wrote:The video isn't meant to be an in-depth argument, just meant to present data.

Um, nope: it's not data unless you actually back up your "evidence" with detailed references (sources for confirmation, names, dates, maps, etc.). This is just, what's that word I'm looking for....bullshit.
User avatar
Telemachus
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: 2006-12-25 15:53

Postby CocoAUS » 2007-06-16 20:22

Telemachus wrote:
CocoAUS wrote:The video isn't meant to be an in-depth argument, just meant to present data.

Um, nope: it's not data unless you actually back up your "evidence" with detailed references (sources for confirmation, names, dates, maps, etc.). This is just, what's that word I'm looking for....bullshit.


First, please don't degrade this thread so quickly.

Second, Google the claims in the video. If you're going to use the energy to post in this thread, you could perhaps use the energy to do a quick search. Unless you're dismissing the arguments out of hand. You say it's BS, yet you have no evidence against this video. Who's BSing who?

Third, let me get you started on some Google research:
The Black Dragon Canyon evidence: http://s8int.com/dinolit3.html Plenty more on that page, including sources and photos.
User avatar
CocoAUS
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2007-04-29 08:40

Postby Telemachus » 2007-06-16 20:40

CocoAUS wrote:First, please don't degrade this thread so quickly.

Sorry if I ruined your chance to show us all that Genesis has so much to teach us about dinosaurs and evolution. This isn't offtopic - it's out of bounds.

CocoAUS wrote:Second, Google the claims in the video. If you're going to use the energy to post in this thread, you could perhaps use the energy to do a quick search. Unless you're dismissing the arguments out of hand. You say it's BS, yet you have no evidence against this video. Who's BSing who?

Third, let me get you started on some Google research:
The Black Dragon Canyon evidence: http://s8int.com/dinolit3.html Plenty more on that page, including sources and photos.

The problem with Google and Wikipedia on this issue and creationism generally is that there is no peer-editing on the web. If you have a website or a Wiki account, you can post pretty much anything. Call me prejudiced, but I don't trust the evidence about dinosaurs from a site that has a prominent link "What must you do to be saved?" (http://s8int.com/saved1.html)

I will leave your post alone and not troll anymore, but I really think that we should not have open proselytizing on this board.
User avatar
Telemachus
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: 2006-12-25 15:53

Postby rickh » 2007-06-16 20:44

I tend to be sympathetic to creationism simply because evolution suggests that random chaotic events conspired to create increasingly sophisticated beings. That's ridiculous. In every other scientific discipline it is recognized that random chaotic events will cause the entity being affected to be degenerated, not enhanced.

OTOH, I can't really get any more interested in studying the science of creationism, than I could get in studying the science of evolution.

I'm just happy to see the increasing number of internet video presentations that work flawlessly on the AMD64 with no proprietary codecs. Gnash v. 8.0 has certainly increased that likelihood.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
User avatar
rickh
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: 2006-06-29 02:13
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA

Postby Simpatico » 2007-06-16 20:49

If creationism is a science then what does it predict, and where is the evidence for those predictions?
Debian GNU/Linux testing
Debian GNU/Linux stable
User avatar
Simpatico
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 2007-04-25 14:07

Postby CocoAUS » 2007-06-16 20:52

Telemachus wrote:Call me prejudiced, but I don't trust the evidence about dinosaurs from a site that has a prominent link "What must you do to be saved?" (http://s8int.com/saved1.html)


So first you imply the claims have no basis without ever having done research, then when I post a bit of research for you, you find another reason to dismiss it out of hand--it talks about salvation. This is called an ad hominem. You are trying to negate the evidence by saying, "Well, he's the Christian, so clearly I can't trust him."
User avatar
CocoAUS
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2007-04-29 08:40

Postby CocoAUS » 2007-06-16 20:54

Simpatico wrote:If creationism is a science then what does it predict, and where is the evidence for those predictions?


Ignore creationism. Focus on the matter at hand--dinosaurs living at the same time as men.
User avatar
CocoAUS
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 2007-04-29 08:40

Postby Lavene » 2007-06-16 21:01

CocoAUS wrote:Third, let me get you started on some Google research:
The Black Dragon Canyon evidence: http://s8int.com/dinolit3.html Plenty more on that page, including sources and photos.

There *is* a problem with the 'evidence' on that site. And that is if you search for, say Leon Pericard and Stephane Lewoff (from this page, the modern looking cavemen) the only hit you get is *that* page. And it's like that with so much of it. It's really problematic to get any of the momentous discoveries confirmed. If you try to follow the evidence it almost always disappears in the big conspiracy theory...

Don't get me wrong, I have tried several times to prove science wrong in several areas based on 'alternative' theories but it never works out. For many years I really wanted to believe in something but my damn inquisitive mind blows every fantastic theory out of the water...

Tina
Lavene
Site admin
 
Posts: 5096
Joined: 2006-01-04 04:26
Location: Oslo, Norway

Postby Simpatico » 2007-06-16 21:03

CocoAUS wrote:Ignore creationism. Focus on the matter at hand--dinosaurs living at the same time as men.

Right. It's a bit difficult to do that when the OP mentions creationists in the first post. In your own view, it's relevant to the discussion.

But I will leave this to you and others to debate. Religion vs. science is a false dichotomy.
Debian GNU/Linux testing
Debian GNU/Linux stable
User avatar
Simpatico
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 2007-04-25 14:07

Next

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable