Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dinosaurs and man living side by side

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
CocoAUS

#16 Post by CocoAUS »

Lavene wrote:There *is* a problem with the 'evidence' on that site. And that is if you search for, say Leon Pericard and Stephane Lewoff (from this page, the modern looking cavemen) the only hit you get is *that* page. And it's like that with so much of it. It's really problematic to get any of the momentous discoveries confirmed.
I suppose you'd have to actually find the books and journals, then, instead of hoping these things are published on the internet. Don't books carry more weight than webpages? Also note the other video link I posted which includes a crap-ton of sources.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#17 Post by Lavene »

CocoAUS wrote:I suppose you'd have to actually find the books and journals, then, instead of hoping these things are published on the internet.
Probably... I'll put it on my list :)

garrincha

#18 Post by garrincha »

Without going into detail, I would point out that website references like Wiki is a big NO in academia circle, at least from my experience. Mainly because these references tend not be be peer reviewed.

Other than that I would suggest a good dollop of reading both academic and popular publications by the late Stephen Jay Gould, here's a good on-line reference, an unofficial SJG on-line archive :

Evolution as Fact and Theory (reprinted from Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes, 1994)
by Stephen Jay Gould
http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/ ... heory.html
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Harold

#19 Post by Harold »

CocoAUS> Isn't some of this rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?

No, it is not.

gmedina

#20 Post by gmedina »

CocoAUS wrote:...rather compelling evidence that dinosaurs and man lived at the same time?
I think evidence is not the right word to use here. Evidence should always mean scientific evidence, i.e. data which can and have been subjected to some form of validation.

esaym

#21 Post by esaym »

Telemachus wrote:
CocoAUS wrote:The video isn't meant to be an in-depth argument, just meant to present data.
Um, nope: it's not data unless you actually back up your "evidence" with detailed references (sources for confirmation, names, dates, maps, etc.). This is just, what's that word I'm looking for....bullshit.
I still fail to see the "data" presented by the evolution theory.

garrincha

#22 Post by garrincha »

The only time that man ever live with dinosaur at the same time is on chicken farm (getting among things like Avian flu), at the zoo or on dinner table.:)
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

garrincha

#23 Post by garrincha »

In the simplest term:
Data -- The direct results of observation and measurement, in other words, the "raw" products of experimental procedures or field observations such as the position of a planet at a given time, relative to fixed stars. Data can be described as scientific "facts."

Phenomena -- are inferred from patterns of data, and thus cannot be straightforwardly observed. For example, Kepler's laws of planetary motion are phenomena inferred from a large body of observational astronomy data. It may also be called "facts," but they are far more complex than data.

Theories -- provide explanations for phenomena. Newton's theory of gravitation explains the phenomena of Kepler's laws of planetary motion and Galileo's law of falling bodies. Theories are not facts.

Now, these three term as described would fall mostly under philosophical definition rather than scientific description.

From the link that I posted above, according to SJG:
Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts do not go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's, but apples did not suspend themselves in mid-air, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from apelike ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other, yet to be discovered.

Moreover, "fact" does not mean "absolute certainty." The final proofs of logic and mathematics flow deductively from stated premises and achieve certainty only because they are not about the empirical world. Evolutionists make no claim for perpetual truth, though creationists often do (and then attack us for a style of argument that they themselves favor). In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

rickh

#24 Post by rickh »

To me, the real question here, that can not be avoided, is not, "Is evolution more provable than creationism?"; but rather, "Do you believe in God?"
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Bro.Tiag

#25 Post by Bro.Tiag »

rickh wrote:To me, the real question here, that can not be avoided, is not, "Is evolution more provable than creationism?"; but rather, "Do you believe in God?"
It makes no matter whether or not one believes in God. Even Lucifer and his minions believe in God.

detly

#26 Post by detly »

rickh wrote:I tend to be sympathetic to creationism simply because evolution suggests that random chaotic events conspired to create increasingly sophisticated beings. That's ridiculous.
1. Random and chaotic are two distinct concepts. Look them up. Furthermore, random does not imply unconstrained.

2. The suggestion is not that random events created complex structures. The laws of nature and their outcomes are not random. Look up emergence (and then find a 'Game of Life' applet).

CocoAUS

#27 Post by CocoAUS »

It seems that everyone has ignored the first comment I made along with posting the video:

IGNORE THE CREATIONISM ASPECT. This evidence does not require that an evolutionist become a creationist to believe it--it only requires that one reject the common theory about dinosaurs dying out millions of years ago. There is no evolutionary reason why dinosaurs could not have survived.

The problem is that turning this into a creation vs evolution debate mean that people will dismiss data out of hand. Indians hunted dinosaurs? With pictures and piles of bones to prove it? If a creationist says this, it's dismissed. If an evolutionist says this, it's considered pretty good evidence that popular ideas are wrong.

detly

#28 Post by detly »

garrincha wrote: Theories -- provide explanations for phenomena.
Hypotheses are verifiable or falsifiable attempts to explain phenomena to a certain degree of accuracy. Theories are hypotheses that have turned out to be useful to a certain extent (ie. have been verified or not falsified over the realm to which they are applicable).

bluesdog

#29 Post by bluesdog »

I watched a documentary on this quite a while ago.

It was called, 'The Flintstones', iirc

imo, this topic isn't merely 'off', it's in the twilight zone, and does not belong on the forum

Oh, and dinosaurs did survive. They are called, 'chickens'

CocoAUS

#30 Post by CocoAUS »

bluesdog wrote:imo, this topic isn't merely 'off', it's in the twilight zone, and does not belong on the forum
Thankfully the mods have decided not to censor this thread. Further, why do you claim this is something out of the Twilight Zone? Again, evolution does not dictate that dinosaurs had to die. What would be out of the TZ is if all of this evidence existed WITHOUT dinosaurs living alongside man. How did the Indians know what Pterodactyls looked like enough to paint them? Why do they picture themselves hunting them and have a pile of bones in their cave? An honest observer 1) would not suggest that such information should be censored (that's called fascism), and 2) would either provide an honest argument or admit that the evidence contradicts his presuppositions.

Telemachus

#31 Post by Telemachus »

CocoAUS wrote:It seems that everyone has ignored the first comment I made along with posting the video:

IGNORE THE CREATIONISM ASPECT.
You seem to me to be ignoring the obvious response: No. Many of us can't, won't and shouldn't ignore that aspect for a number of reasons. First, the people who make these claims on the sites you like so much are all vocal creationists. Second, their arguments appear to rely on the Bible as much as on scientific evidence. Third, they seem rather irrationally concerned with proving that the dinosaurs and people ran around together and that the world is not millions of millions of years old. I wonder why that is. Could it possibly be because if it is millions and millions of years old, then one of the claims in the Bible (if interpreted literally) turns out to be false? (I mean the date of the Earth if we go by the Bible). So, maybe you should pay more attention to the creationism aspect and realize that the tail is wagging the dog. These wonderful "scientists" of yours have no interest in dinosaurs: they care about proving something about the Bible. Creationism is at the heart of this; it's not a side issue.

Harold

#32 Post by Harold »

CocoAUS> Thankfully the mods have decided not to censor this thread.

Correction. The mods have not yet decided to censor this thread.

gmedina

#33 Post by gmedina »

Telemachus, I totally agree with you.
CocoAUS wrote:2) would either provide an honest argument or admit that the evidence contradicts his presuppositions
Again, I haven't found much real scientific evidence (scientific in the way science is meant to be) that supports your post's argument and subsequent defenses.

Bro.Tiag

#34 Post by Bro.Tiag »

gmedina wrote:Telemachus, I totally agree with you.
CocoAUS wrote:2) would either provide an honest argument or admit that the evidence contradicts his presuppositions
Again, I haven't found much real scientific evidence (scientific in the way science is meant to be) that supports your post's argument and subsequent defenses.
Aye, evolution's theory of creation is no more scientific as is the Bible's account of Creation. The question is then, does one trust God and His Word, or man and his mind?.

gmedina

#35 Post by gmedina »

Bro.Tiag wrote:...trust God and His Word, or man and his mind
Science can't be reduced to a matter of "trusting". But only to give a reply to your fallacious question: No. You can't trust "God and His Word" since they do not exist (at most they are useful hypotheses); and: No, you can't trust "man and his mind" since... (well, there are so many obvious reasons).