Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A Fairly Accurate Linux Distro Chooser

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sinical

#16 Post by sinical »

This test is rigged...

In order, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian (Must have been the experimental software question)
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

llivv

#17 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 20:10, edited 2 times in total.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by Lavene »

1. Debian
2. Mepis
3. Freespire :shock:

And the quiz:
Linux IQ test

You are a LINUX MASTER
(10 of 10 questions correct)

You may be the type to compile your own kernel. You're certainly no novice.
If the cirteria for being a Linux Master is that you can compile a kernel... well, then I guess I'm a Linux Master. Although it seem a bit strange that knowing how Linus spells his surname, how to pronounce the 'i' and a bit of Linux history makes for technical excellence...

Tina

actionM

#19 Post by actionM »

Code: Select all

Linux IQ test

You are LINCURIOUS
(7 of 10 questions correct)

You may have even used the Linux OS before but you're not a supergeek about it. Check out some of News.com's Linux news, and get on your way to proficiency.
I don't think I even need to know half of those questions asked.

#20 Post by 987687 »

I'm a Linux master, YAY. I think I'll put that on my resumé...

trey

#21 Post by trey »

I got Debian, Debian and Debian. Err, Debian, Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

swirling_vortex

#22 Post by swirling_vortex »

I got:
openSuSE (way too slow)
Debian (the best)
Ubuntu (ehh, good for new users, but not for me)
Fedora (kernel updates kill my wifi and video card)
Mandriva (buggy and profit minded)
Kubuntu (same as Ubuntu)

Knoppix was also a possibility, but it said it was for more "experienced" users and does not have application library.

However, I've already made up my mind about what I'm running.

#23 Post by 987687 »

Does anyone actually run knoppix? All I use it for is recovery.

perlhacker14

#24 Post by perlhacker14 »

987687 wrote:Does anyone actually run knoppix? All I use it for is recovery.
Noone uses Knoppix for anything beyond testing or recovery (except one of the network admins in my school who thinks using Knoppix is using real Linux, and then people like me argue with him and tell him to try Ubuntu or Debian or even Fedora (occaisonaly)).
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Pobega

#25 Post by Pobega »

perlhacker14 wrote:
actionM wrote:We need a test to take to determine how smart you are with linux! Or maybe one of you should make one :)
Dont they already have one at http://www.innergeek.us/geek-test.html?
Go on: try it out.
What's funny about that test is that I actually am avoiding a graduation party today to work on computer stuff (Two websites and some Frets On Fire). How ironic :lol:
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

Noven

#26 Post by Noven »

Pobega wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:
actionM wrote:We need a test to take to determine how smart you are with linux! Or maybe one of you should make one :)
Dont they already have one at http://www.innergeek.us/geek-test.html?
Go on: try it out.
What's funny about that test is that I actually am avoiding a graduation party today to work on computer stuff (Two websites and some Frets On Fire). How ironic :lol:
/me cracks the web-devel whip

perlhacker14

#27 Post by perlhacker14 »

Just thinking, after reading the results pertaining to how some distros have no application library, What is defined as an application library?
Arch has Pac-Man; Gentoo has Portage; both have a method of tracking packages and a library of them, yet are listed as having no application library. Any of you have any ideas?
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

sonic6k

#28 Post by sonic6k »

perlhacker14 wrote:Any of you have any ideas?
The people behind the distro chooser weren't experienced enough with Arch/Gentoo?

lucho

#29 Post by lucho »

It seems the distro chooser puts too much emphasis on the desktop environment; my
results sure go in that direction:
Open SuSe :shock:
Kubuntu :roll:
Mandriva :?
Debian 8)
and the runnerups:

Fedora :oops: (anyone who knows Portuguese will understand why nobody wants
to use a distro named Fedora)
Ubuntu :) ( I don't care what anybody says: Fiesty 7.04 is a nice piece of work. It's
just not on the level of Debian 4.0 )
these two were marked as "not having desired desktop." hmm...

Knoppix: well, if you're talking about the Brazilian remaster Kurumin, hell yeah.
otherwise...

The test doesn't seem to take into account that after building the comp, I used the Debian
Etch netinstall ( 8) 8) ) to build the system.

I loved the geek test. Interesting questions, but the options- you have "dated a geek,
married a geek, etc." Where's the option "beat up a geek once?" LOL, seriously, I'm a shadetree
mechanic from South Texas, but the questions are set up that I qualify as a Total Geek 8)
( Linux was tailor-made for people like me, and other do-it-yourselfers who like to tear
things apart to see how they work ) All in all, fun test.

swirling_vortex

#30 Post by swirling_vortex »

I tried to install a knoppix 5.1.1 DVD to a hard disk. They've certainly fixed the installer, but upon trying to update packages, I got major dependency issues (mainly because Knoppix has its own custom tools). Therefore, Knoppix is mainly used for recovery and should be the one distro everyone has.

sonic6k

#31 Post by sonic6k »

lucho wrote:Fedora :oops: (anyone who knows Portuguese will understand why nobody wants to use a distro named Fedora)
Now I'm interested to know what it means.. Using Babelfish translator it says Fedora in Portuguese is "Fedora" in English.

detly

#32 Post by detly »

I got Ubuntu first. UBUNTU!

I feel dirty.

#33 Post by 987687 »

sonic6k wrote:
lucho wrote:(anyone who knows Portuguese will understand why nobody wants to use a distro named Fedora)
I looked fedora up on Portuguese google and found nothing besides the distro.

lucho

#34 Post by lucho »

Now I'm interested to know what it means.. Using Babelfish translator it says Fedora in Portuguese is "Fedora" in English.
Sorry, then, for the delay in replying. The problem with translators is that they still
don't deal well with permutations (good for me, since I'm a language professor).

Feder, Fedor= stink, smell bad.
So "Fedora" suggests the feminine form (in romance languages, an -a suffix is feminine)
of "Fedor."* Many Brazilians call the distro "Fedorento" as a result. Yes, that's right,
the distro is called stinky

*PS using the feminine form is appropriate, since distro/distribution is feminine in
Portuguese.

swirling_vortex

#35 Post by swirling_vortex »

detly wrote:I got Ubuntu first. UBUNTU!

I feel dirty.
At least it's not Mandriva. :wink: