Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

42 and other obligatory jokes...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

42 and other obligatory jokes...

#1 Post by Lavene »

http://www.theregister.com/2007/06/23/sentient_worlds/

It's almost like I expect meeting Slartibartfast crawling around carving out our fjords...

Am I in the original or the simulated world? Do I exist at all? Maybe I'm just some bits in a computer about to be annihilated by some future weapon while a synthetic voice go: "What a strange game... the only way to win is not to play..?"

"How about a nice game of chess professor Falken."

"Strange! Every time we try to program in President Bush we get a divide by zero error!"

Computer: "USA: No such file or directory!"
Analyst: "Oh crap... not again!!"

Ok, I'll stop now...

Tina

rickh

#2 Post by rickh »

I wonder if they've programmed in the influence of the Transnational Republic.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

jml

#3 Post by jml »

Personally, I think Douglas Adam's mice were cuter than Steve Job's....Think about it, but not for too long or your brain will hurt. :mrgreen:

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

rathskunk

#4 Post by rathskunk »

If such simulations are actually possible and people do actually create them then it is almost certain we exist within a simulation right now.

But if we are in a simulation then its a very good one. Which raises some questions. What kind of hardware is our sim running on? What OS? Some advanced form of GNU/Linux?
Desktop1: AMD-K7 CT-7AIA5-VIA686 Nvidia-MX400-AGP Lenny-i386 (Died of capacitor plague - RIP)
Desktop2: AMD-K62 GA-5AA-ALI-AladdinV Matrox-G200-AGP Lenny-i386
Laptop: AMD-Turion64x2 ATI-RS480-SB600 ATI-RS482-200M-PCIe Lenny-amd64