Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux in the sky

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
benuski

Linux in the sky

#1 Post by benuski »

So I just took a flight from Bombay to Amsterdam on Northwest Airlines, and on these flights they have video screens built into the back of each seat. While I was watching a movie, it said "Please wait while your seat reboots".... I was confused, but waited of course. The screen went black, and then what should pop up but our favorite Antarctic animal, plus a boot screen. It wasn't there long enough to see what distro it was, but it made me really happy for like 20 minutes.

actionM

#2 Post by actionM »

Penguins CAN fly!

Re: Linux in the sky

#3 Post by 987687 »

benuski wrote:t wasn't there long enough to see what distro it was, but it made me really happy for like 20 minutes.
Might have been a good thing...

perlhacker14

#4 Post by perlhacker14 »

On NW, they have their own modded version of Linux. I never found out what it was called, but my cousin is a worker for NW. He told me about it- quite surprising, really. But, can you see Windows on a comp that small? In seat movie screens cannot support even thw Windows CE or what ever the small OS is called.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Pobega

#5 Post by Pobega »

When I originally saw this topic I thought it was "Linux in the sky with diamonds". Don't ask me why.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

Kyo

#6 Post by Kyo »

Pobega wrote:When I originally saw this topic I thought it was "Linux in the sky with diamonds". Don't ask me why.
Hehe, that's what poped out of my mind as well. =)

Good to know that Linux is in the air already, so when I'll be on a plane, I'll at least know that I won't crash. =P

garrincha

#7 Post by garrincha »

Pobega wrote:When I originally saw this topic I thought it was "Linux in the sky with diamonds". Don't ask me why.
A bit off-topic.

Heh, I actually mis-read it as "Lucy in the Sky". It is one of the Beatles' songs for those interested in knowing:
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds Lyrics
by The Beatles

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
Towering over your head.
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
And she's gone.

{REFRAIN}
Lucy in the sky with diamonds(diamonds).
Ah... Ah...

{VERSE 2}
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies,
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.
Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.

{REFRAIN}

Picture yourself on a train in a station,
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties,
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile,
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

{REFRAIN REPEATED AND FADED}
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."