Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google Desktop now available for Linux

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pcalvert

Google Desktop now available for Linux

#1 Post by pcalvert »

FYI: Google Desktop now available for Linux

This is not a recommendation; I just thought I'd let y'all know in case anyone is interested. :)

Phil

perlhacker14

#2 Post by perlhacker14 »

This may be a little off topic, but: It is great that they now have it for Linux (more support), but what exactly do you gain from Google Desktop? I never saw much of a need for it, as the search functions are easily replicated with system search in KDE or the like. My dad does use Linux though (for his work and at home for compatibility (scientist, lab uses Debian as the tech guy likes it)) - he likes Google Desktop too... I must remember to tell him so he can stop giving me excuses to keep Windows on his disk, and make more space for Linux.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Jackiebrown

#3 Post by Jackiebrown »

All I say is no 64 bit version and I don't feel like force installing a closed source app.