Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slackware 12

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Arnie

#16 Post by Arnie »

In all your posts I've seen you talking about "experience" but never in what way that is such an advantage. The legacy is that the guy with experience can brag about doing this and that "the hardcore way". Nice for 13yo freaks, but what good does that do? In my opinion only developers and the like need the inside experience, and not the users.
Debian Men
Need instant advice? Get BOFH's opinion

Noven

#17 Post by Noven »

I love slackware, but I really wont use it seriously since it doesnt include gnome, and its a pain in the ass to do it manually. I did install Slackware 12 on a VM though, and I got to say, 12 is alot better than 11 or 10 =)

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by Lavene »

Arnie wrote:In all your posts I've seen you talking about "experience" but never in what way that is such an advantage. The legacy is that the guy with experience can brag about doing this and that "the hardcore way". Nice for 13yo freaks, but what good does that do? In my opinion only developers and the like need the inside experience, and not the users.
Experience is like that cardboard box full of old leads and wires for everything from Christmas tree lights to old typewriters you have in your basement. It's nice to have, cost nothing and some day you might just need something from it.

Personally I collect experiences and I'm very proud of my collection. :)

Tina

Telemachus

#19 Post by Telemachus »

Noven wrote:I love slackware, but I really wont use it seriously since it doesnt include gnome, and its a pain in the ass to do it manually. I did install Slackware 12 on a VM though, and I got to say, 12 is alot better than 11 or 10 =)
I had similar issues about the lack of Gnome, but do you know about the Dropline Gnome project? They provide a great, very user-friendly way to install Gnome onto Slackware. Check it out: Dropline Gnome

@ Arnie - From interviews I've read, the 13 year olds who love experience often grow up to be developers, so nothing wrong with that.

@ Tina - Great metaphor for experience.

Arnie

#20 Post by Arnie »

Ok, so if you enjoy doing everything the hard way then it's just an extraordinary hobby. I can imagine that, but not everyone thinks it's worth the hassle, and I suppose that's what sinical was trying to say. The experience may be fun to have (and/or brag about), it may give you some sort of a warm feeling (?) but it's not useful for the mass of people.
Debian Men
Need instant advice? Get BOFH's opinion

plb

#21 Post by plb »

slack was one of my first distros...I started with it after rh went corporate and I could no longer upgrade :lol: I stll remember knowing nothing about nix and having to compile xmms :D

Telemachus

#22 Post by Telemachus »

Arnie wrote:Ok, so if you enjoy doing everything the hard way then it's just an extraordinary hobby. I can imagine that, but not everyone thinks it's worth the hassle, and I suppose that's what sinical was trying to say. The experience may be fun to have (and/or brag about), it may give you some sort of a warm feeling (?) but it's not useful for the mass of people.
I think you're insisting on awfully narrow sense of "useful". I mean, novels, paintings, poetry, music may not be "useful" in lots of senses, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. Although I don't have the bug as strongly as Perlhacker, I also enjoy doing certain things by hand in order to learn more about my system and computers in general. And, yeah, it's a hobby in that sense. It has nothing to do with my work or anything literally productive. I'm sure many people would find it silly. Some people do origami, which I don't get. But that's no reason for me to call them "freaks." They just like something that I don't.

perlhacker14

#23 Post by perlhacker14 »

@Arnie: I started using Slackware back in 7th Grade, so that would make me a 13yo Freak. And yes, I do enjoy doing stuff the hard way.

On Gnome: Gnome is not too hard to install. Just get the /GNOME section packages and install, and add to sessions list.

The guys with experience are the ones like Torvalds and RMS. They made it great from experience and energy. They are succesful. I probably will not be like them (as I am a physics student), but some other kid who loves to get under the system will follow in their footsteps and astound us all with some new thing.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Telemachus

#24 Post by Telemachus »

perlhacker14 wrote:On Gnome: Gnome is not too hard to install. Just get the /GNOME section packages and install, and add to sessions list.
This isn't true any longer. The headhoncho (Patrick?) has removed support for Gnome from official Slackware. If you use an old 11 cd and tell it to install Gnome, it installs XFCE. (At least, that was my experience a few weeks ago.) To get Gnome, you have to use something like Dropline or do it manually.

Edit - You are not a freak, Perl, but RMS may really be one. There's a popular legend involving his habit of eating his hair in soup!
Last edited by Telemachus on 2007-07-04 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

perlhacker14

#25 Post by perlhacker14 »

Telemachus wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:On Gnome: Gnome is not too hard to install. Just get the /GNOME section packages and install, and add to sessions list.
This isn't true any longer. The headhoncho (Patrick?) has removed support for Gnome from official Slackware. If you use an old 11 cd and tell it to install Gnome, it installs XFCE. (At least, that was my experience a few weeks ago.) To get Gnome, you have to use something like Dropline or do it manually.
Do it manually, or just use KDE or XFce. Much better than GNOME. Or use a window manager like fluxbox.

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Telemachus

#26 Post by Telemachus »

perlhacker14 wrote:or just use KDE or XFce. Much better than GNOME
Heh. Well, this is like Vim/Emacs. It's religion, not common sense. For me, it's (in order of importance): Debian, Vim, Mutt, Gnome. I understand that reasonable people can disagree, but I try not to think about it too much. Also, just for what it's worth, Dropline is great. It involves a wonderful little ncurses installer, exactly like Slack's own installer.

plb

#27 Post by plb »

maybe he doesn't want to?

perlhacker14

#28 Post by perlhacker14 »

Telemachus wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:or just use KDE or XFce. Much better than GNOME
Heh. Well, this is like Vim/Emacs. It's religion, not common sense. For me, it's (in order of importance): Debian, Vim, Mutt, Gnome. I understand that reasonable people can disagree, but I try not to think about it too much. Also, just for what it's worth, Dropline is great. It involves a wonderful little ncurses installer, exactly like Slack's own installer.
For Me: Debian Slackware Emacs Pine Bash KDE Fluxbox GCC javac Xfce Kedit Konqueror Ksirtet .

Telemachus

#29 Post by Telemachus »

perlhacker14 wrote:For Me: Debian Slackware Emacs Pine Bash KDE Fluxbox GCC javac Xfce Kedit Konqueror Ksirtet .
You're almost the anti-me. I always wondered who he was, and there you are. Back to the original post, the torrent for Slackware 12 is moving along nicely now. I should have it in a few hours.

perlhacker14

#30 Post by perlhacker14 »

Telemachus wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:For Me: Debian Slackware Emacs Pine Bash KDE Fluxbox GCC javac Xfce Kedit Konqueror Ksirtet .
You're almost the anti-me. I always wondered who he was, and there you are. Back to the original post, the torrent for Slackware 12 is moving along nicely now. I should have it in a few hours.
Almost the anti you, eh? I wonder what the opposite of a physics major would be... Maybe an history major? If you were that then you would be the opposite of me.
I just finished downloading all 6 discs to put on an old spare computer lying around. Took forever - 1 hr 12 mins on average per disc, even though I was using torrents.

Telemachus

#31 Post by Telemachus »

Comparative Literature BA, Classics PhD, so yeah, that's pretty much anti-physics. The only Physics course I ever took was the "Physics for Poets" (i.e. no math) gut in college. My last time around with Slackware, I never did get wireless to work. I'm hoping that with a newer kernel and more know-how, it will go better this time.

perlhacker14

#32 Post by perlhacker14 »

I gave up on wireless with linux. No atheros drivers work. After hours of trying, even with Ubuntu, no avail. Just about the only thing Icannot do on my laptop is have wireless work.

Are you some kind of Englisch teacher with all those classics degrees ie in stuf that noone reads any more?

Telemachus

#33 Post by Telemachus »

perlhacker14 wrote:Are you some kind of Englisch teacher with all those classics degrees ie in stuf that noone reads any more?
Thanks for reminding me how old I am. Yes, I teach English (and Latin and Ancient Greek), but my geek time here has paid off, since now I also work part-time in my school's Tech department. Enough personal chat - this thread is now three pages long!

A final shot: the kids I teach still read that stuff.

llivv

#34 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Noven

#35 Post by Noven »

I really dont like Dropline Gnome too much...it jacks with your installation too much =/