Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slackware 12

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Telemachus

#31 Post by Telemachus »

Comparative Literature BA, Classics PhD, so yeah, that's pretty much anti-physics. The only Physics course I ever took was the "Physics for Poets" (i.e. no math) gut in college. My last time around with Slackware, I never did get wireless to work. I'm hoping that with a newer kernel and more know-how, it will go better this time.

perlhacker14

#32 Post by perlhacker14 »

I gave up on wireless with linux. No atheros drivers work. After hours of trying, even with Ubuntu, no avail. Just about the only thing Icannot do on my laptop is have wireless work.

Are you some kind of Englisch teacher with all those classics degrees ie in stuf that noone reads any more?
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Telemachus

#33 Post by Telemachus »

perlhacker14 wrote:Are you some kind of Englisch teacher with all those classics degrees ie in stuf that noone reads any more?
Thanks for reminding me how old I am. Yes, I teach English (and Latin and Ancient Greek), but my geek time here has paid off, since now I also work part-time in my school's Tech department. Enough personal chat - this thread is now three pages long!

A final shot: the kids I teach still read that stuff.

llivv

#34 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Noven

#35 Post by Noven »

I really dont like Dropline Gnome too much...it jacks with your installation too much =/

Harold

#36 Post by Harold »

Perlhacker14> I wonder what the opposite of a physics major would be...

A theology major. ;-)

perlhacker14

#37 Post by perlhacker14 »

Harold wrote:Perlhacker14> I wonder what the opposite of a physics major would be...

A theology major. ;-)
One of my professors has a bachelors degree in theology in addition to his physics degrees - he claims of being facinated by religions.

@Noven: Dropline GNOME has issues that can cause a failre at any moment. I just tested it out after Telemachus mentioned it. Complete failure. Te thing broke it completely, removed some of my KDE files.

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

plb

#38 Post by plb »

perlhacker14 wrote: Are you some kind of Englisch teacher with all those classics degrees ie in stuf that noone reads any more?
It's funny how you misspelled English amongst other words in that sentence.

perlhacker14

#39 Post by perlhacker14 »

plb wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote: Are you some kind of Englisch teacher with all those classics degrees ie in stuf that noone reads any more?
:roll: Guundach: Ik begrip dåt ai. Snååkest dü Frasch? :wink:

Telemachus

#40 Post by Telemachus »

@ Noven & Perlhacker - thanks for the warning about Dropline. I had used it without trouble in a virtual machine, and I assumed it was ok. Now I will have to think again about it. I wouldn't really mind it removing KDE, since I won't have any KDE to install but "failure at any moment" doesn't sound good. Sorry if it messed up your box, Perl.

One question, though, are you guys talking about the beta 2.18 or the 2.16? 2.16 was the one I used without any problems - though only in a vm.

Telemachus

#41 Post by Telemachus »

perlhacker14 wrote:
plb wrote:
:roll: Guundach: Ik begrip dåt ai. Snååkest dü Frasch? :wink:
Yeah, at the time, I thought it was an error a native German speaker might make (sch for sh).

perlhacker14

#42 Post by perlhacker14 »

Telemachus wrote:@ Noven & Perlhacker - thanks for the warning about Dropline. I had used it without trouble in a virtual machine, and I assumed it was ok. Now I will have to think again about it. I wouldn't really mind it removing KDE, since I won't have any KDE to install but "failure at any moment" doesn't sound good. Sorry if it messed up your box, Perl.

One question, though, are you guys talking about the beta 2.18 or the 2.16? 2.16 was the one I used without any problems - though only in a vm.
I tried 2.1.6 on Slackware 11 which failed, before upgrading (as in about before two hours ago). After upgrading, I tried again, just out of a determination to make it work. 2.1.8 beta worked, though it made a mess of my KDE files. 2.1.6 have not tried on Slackware 12, yet. Whay bother though, as it says reccommended for slackware 11.
Yeah, at the time, I thought it was an error a native German speaker might make (sch for sh).
@Telemachus: I speak Frisian 1st, English 2nd, French 3rd, German 4th.

Arnie

#43 Post by Arnie »

Wait, Frisian 1st? And you don't speak Dutch?
Debian Men
Need instant advice? Get BOFH's opinion

perlhacker14

#44 Post by perlhacker14 »

Arnie wrote:Wait, Frisian 1st? And you don't speak Dutch?
An explanation of my linguistic status:
I live in the US; my grandfather and grandmother and father left the Netherlands when my father was 14. They spoke Frisian at home, as do I and my brothers and Father. My father and grandparents knows Dutch, but have not used it in years. Hence, Frisian is my first language. I live in the US, so I had to learn English, though Inever used it out of school or away from friends. I learned French in school, and my Grandfather taught me German, as some of my cousins (who only know German and English and French) live in Germany.

Arnie

#45 Post by Arnie »

Lol. That's complicated.
Debian Men

perlhacker14

#46 Post by perlhacker14 »

Arnie wrote:Lol. That's complicated.
Isnt everything?

Arnie

#47 Post by Arnie »

No, installing/administrating/using Linux the Debian way isn't that complicated :lol:
Debian Men

perlhacker14

#48 Post by perlhacker14 »

Arnie wrote:No, installing/administrating/using Linux the Debian way isn't that complicated :lol:
The Debian way is not portable across distros, so when one wants to move on......

Telemachus

#49 Post by Telemachus »

I just installed Slackware 12 on this laptop. Here are my quick reactions/thoughts:

(1) The torrent download of the DVD is pretty fast now. If you have a cable modem, I recommend it.
(2) The installation itself is reasonably easy (cfdisk to set up partitions, then enter "setup" to get to the main installer (text based) which then walks you through the rest).
(3) I didn't install Lilo, which is still the only bootloader option in the Slackware install disk (blech, Lilo). Instead, I just manually added Slackware to the GRUB menu.lst in the Debian partition. It's quick to do.
(3) I copied the ipw2100 firmware for my wireless card from Debian to Slackware (annoyingly it goes in different places in the two distros, but who said life is easy?), edited /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and, ta-dah, wireless in Slackware. It was almost too easy.
(4) The new default kernel is a very full-featured 2.6.21.5-smp, so no complaints there.

All in all, a very positive experience so far. It's a nice distro - clearly carefully and well built. I'm not leaving Debian any time soon, but it's worth looking at.

However, I cannot really express how much I hate XFce. If I am going to use this system for any extended period, I need to deal with that.

perlhacker14

#50 Post by perlhacker14 »

Telemachus wrote:I just installed Slackware 12 on this laptop. Here are my quick reactions/thoughts:

(1) The torrent download of the DVD is pretty fast now. If you have a cable modem, I recommend it.
(2) The installation itself is reasonably easy (cfdisk to set up partitions, then enter "setup" to get to the main installer (text based) which then walks you through the rest).
(3) I didn't install Lilo, which is still the only bootloader option in the Slackware install disk (blech, Lilo). Instead, I just manually added Slackware to the GRUB menu.lst in the Debian partition. It's quick to do.
(3) I copied the ipw2100 firmware for my wireless card from Debian to Slackware (annoyingly it goes in different places in the two distros, but who said life is easy?), edited /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and, ta-dah, wireless in Slackware. It was almost too easy.
(4) The new default kernel is a very full-featured 2.6.21.5-smp, so no complaints there.

All in all, a very positive experience so far. It's a nice distro - clearly carefully and well built. I'm not leaving Debian any time soon, but it's worth looking at.

However, I cannot really express how much I hate XFce. If I am going to use this system for any extended period, I need to deal with that.
I just got the six cds; one at a time, with a break in between; DSL is slow and sucks. Slackware does have GRUB; it just has to be installed after the installation. XFce is no great, but KDEis. use kde for a while and youll never go to gnome again.
For me, the only issue is the horrible cfdisk; never liked it.