Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slackware 12

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
perlhacker14

#46 Post by perlhacker14 »

Arnie wrote:Lol. That's complicated.
Isnt everything?
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Arnie

#47 Post by Arnie »

No, installing/administrating/using Linux the Debian way isn't that complicated :lol:
Debian Men
Need instant advice? Get BOFH's opinion

perlhacker14

#48 Post by perlhacker14 »

Arnie wrote:No, installing/administrating/using Linux the Debian way isn't that complicated :lol:
The Debian way is not portable across distros, so when one wants to move on......

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

Telemachus

#49 Post by Telemachus »

I just installed Slackware 12 on this laptop. Here are my quick reactions/thoughts:

(1) The torrent download of the DVD is pretty fast now. If you have a cable modem, I recommend it.
(2) The installation itself is reasonably easy (cfdisk to set up partitions, then enter "setup" to get to the main installer (text based) which then walks you through the rest).
(3) I didn't install Lilo, which is still the only bootloader option in the Slackware install disk (blech, Lilo). Instead, I just manually added Slackware to the GRUB menu.lst in the Debian partition. It's quick to do.
(3) I copied the ipw2100 firmware for my wireless card from Debian to Slackware (annoyingly it goes in different places in the two distros, but who said life is easy?), edited /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and, ta-dah, wireless in Slackware. It was almost too easy.
(4) The new default kernel is a very full-featured 2.6.21.5-smp, so no complaints there.

All in all, a very positive experience so far. It's a nice distro - clearly carefully and well built. I'm not leaving Debian any time soon, but it's worth looking at.

However, I cannot really express how much I hate XFce. If I am going to use this system for any extended period, I need to deal with that.

perlhacker14

#50 Post by perlhacker14 »

Telemachus wrote:I just installed Slackware 12 on this laptop. Here are my quick reactions/thoughts:

(1) The torrent download of the DVD is pretty fast now. If you have a cable modem, I recommend it.
(2) The installation itself is reasonably easy (cfdisk to set up partitions, then enter "setup" to get to the main installer (text based) which then walks you through the rest).
(3) I didn't install Lilo, which is still the only bootloader option in the Slackware install disk (blech, Lilo). Instead, I just manually added Slackware to the GRUB menu.lst in the Debian partition. It's quick to do.
(3) I copied the ipw2100 firmware for my wireless card from Debian to Slackware (annoyingly it goes in different places in the two distros, but who said life is easy?), edited /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and, ta-dah, wireless in Slackware. It was almost too easy.
(4) The new default kernel is a very full-featured 2.6.21.5-smp, so no complaints there.

All in all, a very positive experience so far. It's a nice distro - clearly carefully and well built. I'm not leaving Debian any time soon, but it's worth looking at.

However, I cannot really express how much I hate XFce. If I am going to use this system for any extended period, I need to deal with that.
I just got the six cds; one at a time, with a break in between; DSL is slow and sucks. Slackware does have GRUB; it just has to be installed after the installation. XFce is no great, but KDEis. use kde for a while and youll never go to gnome again.
For me, the only issue is the horrible cfdisk; never liked it.

Telemachus

#51 Post by Telemachus »

perlhacker14 wrote:For me, the only issue is the horrible cfdisk; never liked it.
I have never managed to learn fdisk, but cfdisk I like ok. I'm not so sure KDE will sell me, but again I won't argue "religion".

perlhacker14

#52 Post by perlhacker14 »

Telemachus wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:For me, the only issue is the horrible cfdisk; never liked it.
I have never managed to learn fdisk, but cfdisk I like ok. I'm not so sure KDE will sell me, but again I won't argue "religion".
They are both easy to use, but I do not like them. KDE is more functional than GNOME; but that probably is opinion. If you do not like XFCE either, run fluxbox or blackbox WMs. Faster and functional, and little opinion associated. And they run all GNOME/KDE apps which I have installed.

plb

#53 Post by plb »

ah memories....slackware and blackbox about 8 years ago...those were the days..back when only high end computers could run run enlightenment and xmms was THE media player :lol:

plb

#54 Post by plb »

perlhacker14 wrote:
Telemachus wrote:
They are both easy to use, but I do not like them. KDE is more functional than GNOME; but that probably is opinion. If you do not like XFCE either, run fluxbox or blackbox WMs. Faster and functional, and little opinion associated. And they run all GNOME/KDE apps which I have installed.
I agree that KDE is more functional but I think gnome looks more professional. Hopefully KDE4 will improve in this area.

perlhacker14

#55 Post by perlhacker14 »

plb wrote:ah memories....slackware and blackbox about 8 years ago...those were the days..back when only high end computers could run run enlightenment and xmms was THE media player :lol:
xmms is still THE media player for me :) . Enlightenment... I had that on Ubuntu when I was trying it... Looks nice, fluxbox is seemingly faster though.
I agree that KDE is more functional but I think gnome looks more professional. Hopefully KDE4 will improve in this area.
GNOME does sort of look prof. if you go for simplicity in look, softness, held back, but KDE is more modern and robust looking.

plb

#56 Post by plb »

perlhacker14 wrote:Enlightenment... I had that on Ubuntu when I was trying it... Looks nice, fluxbox is seemingly faster though.
you were probably trying e17...I'm referring to e back in 1999 whichever version that was...needed a lot of power which most computers today easily have.

perlhacker14

#57 Post by perlhacker14 »

plb wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:Enlightenment... I had that on Ubuntu when I was trying it... Looks nice, fluxbox is seemingly faster though.
you were probably trying e17...I'm referring to e back in 1999 whichever version that was...needed a lot of power which most computers today easily have.
Yes; it was e17; before never bothered with it.

BioTube

#58 Post by BioTube »

I personally can't stand Gnome. KDE's it for me, although that probably has something to do with my Windows experience(though I can't stand their new "themes" - luna and aero are just plain ridiculous).
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

perlhacker14

#59 Post by perlhacker14 »

BioTube wrote:I personally can't stand Gnome. KDE's it for me, although that probably has something to do with my Windows experience(though I can't stand their new "themes" - luna and aero are just plain ridiculous).
I am trying GNOME for one week, if anyone is still watching this thread. Apparently trying GNOME again and only using it will give me an open mind. I also will not log in to KDE or Fluxbox, to have a GNOME only experience.

On Vista's themes: they are hideous and resource hogs.

ghostdawg

#60 Post by ghostdawg »

I recently installed Slack 12 and will give KDE another shot. For some reason, after years of using Gnome, I can't hardly find my way around KDE.

I'll see how long I last using KDE with Slack...
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

perlhacker14

#61 Post by perlhacker14 »

As a follow up to the GNOME use experiment, Ihate GDM!!! The biggest piece of crud in gnome. Impossible to properly configure, and even more impossible to remove or add sessions! No proper config util or files! A right mess! It got so screwed up after I attempted to make it recognize the fluxbox installation on the session list and remove a nonexistant twm, that it completely broke!

DebPad

#62 Post by DebPad »

Arnie wrote:Ok, so if you enjoy doing everything the hard way then it's just an extraordinary hobby. I can imagine that, but not everyone thinks it's worth the hassle, and I suppose that's what sinical was trying to say. The experience may be fun to have (and/or brag about), it may give you some sort of a warm feeling (?) but it's not useful for the mass of people.
You should change your username to Bazarov from Turgenev's Fathers and Sons :^)

Utilitarianism is the name of the game then? Granted, Bazarov's main focus is Nihilism, but there's a ton of Utilitarianism in his arguments.

Arnie

#63 Post by Arnie »

You're going so deep now I can't find you anymore, sorry. :wink:
Debian Men
Need instant advice? Get BOFH's opinion