Even Linus thinks Debian is hard to install

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Postby mzilikazi » 2007-07-19 23:27

Lavene wrote:
So if Linus don't want to try Debian he don't want to try Debian. Don't loose any sleep over it.

Tina

I couldn't care less what distro Linus uses but he sounds exactly like the whiny IT guys at work that have never used anything but Microsoft and yet they have the audacity to also have an opinion about what Linux can or cannot do.

If Linus had said "I tried to install Debian but had some problems." then that would be fine.......at least he tried right? But he didn't say that because he didn't try and now he's just spreading his own ignorance around.

FACT: If you don't try it yourself you can't know.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby perlhacker14 » 2007-07-19 23:38

Maybe Torvalds should make his own distro? I am sure he is capable, and could get a ton of kernel volunteers to make a nice distro, incorporating features he wants. It might be good for kernel development; like Google's Goobuntu, the kernel developers might have their own distro to use. Or Torvalds would have his own. Or he could actually try Debian and gain a vaild opinion...
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment
perlhacker14

Postby Chapter 6 » 2007-07-20 01:22

mzilikazi wrote:
I couldn't care less what distro Linus uses but he sounds exactly like the whiny IT guys at work that have never used anything but Microsoft and yet they have the audacity to also have an opinion about what Linux can or cannot do.

That's a piss poor analogy. You're comparing apples and oranges. Linux is Linux is Linux. All Linux distros do pretty much the same thing. There's very little significant difference between Debian and any other distro. They all use pretty much the same software packages, the same kernel, and the same GNU utilities. So it's not really about ignorance of what a distro can and cannot do. It's about the ease of getting Linux up and running so that you can work on one of the pieces (the kernel) that is consistent throughout all distributions.

mzilikazi wrote:If Linus had said "I tried to install Debian but had some problems." then that would be fine.......at least he tried right? But he didn't say that because he didn't try and now he's just spreading his own ignorance around.

FACT: If you don't try it yourself you can't know.

Spreading his own ignorance around? He's not spreading anything. He said that Debian was the only major distro that he has not yet tried. He said that he had not tried it because Debian has "traditonally" been a difficult distro to install. So my question to you is this: Why should Linus try Debian? If what he is already using does the job that he needs it to do, why try something else?

Linus merely stated a fact. He said that he had not tried Debian. That is not an opinion that can be correct or incorrect, complete or incomplete, true or false, accurate or misguided. He has not tried Debian, and he stated it as a simple matter of fact.

Linus also stated why he had not tried Debian. He said that it was due to Debian traditionally being difficult to install. Obviously Debian does have this reputation, and it didn't originate from Linus Torvalds. Linus is under no obligation to prove Debian's reputation false. Nor does he need any other reason to refrain from using Debian.
"Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
You have always told me you'd not live past 25
I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife."

-- Alice in Chains, Sludge Factory
Chapter 6

Postby mzilikazi » 2007-07-20 01:45

Chapter 6 wrote:That's a blah blah blah......

OK whatever. He said what he said.

Judging by your signature you seem to have some pressing issues to deal with - I'll leave you to them.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby Chapter 6 » 2007-07-20 02:29

mzilikazi wrote:

Judging by your signature you seem to have some pressing issues to deal with - I'll leave you to them.

You can say that again. I have the same issues that Linus faces. I'm forced to deal with people who misconstrue what I say and do. I have a problem with people wanting to force me into being or thinking the way they would like. And, unlike Linus Torvalds, I'm a nobody who has created or done nothing. My crime is that I think for myself.

It's difficult to communicate with people who are unwilling to step outside of their own existences to see that there is more than meets the eye. Linus gets attacked for things that people believe he has said, when in actual fact he is being misread. And, too often, intentionally. It would seem somewhat hypocritical to suggest that Linus fails to understand your point of view, when you are so adamant about not seeing his.

Chapter 6

Postby Jackiebrown » 2007-07-20 04:21

mzilikazi wrote:

I don't like you and I don't ****** want you! ****** die, bitch! ****** die!

I have the same issues that Linus faces. I'm forced to deal with people who misconstrue what I say and do

So that should be what? "I like you and I want you. Happily live, wonderful people. Happily live."

Linus made a comment with no research. It would have cost nothing and would not have irritate a great deal of Debian users for an uneducated opinion.

Also Linux is not Linux is not Linux. There is a reason people have their favorite distros.
Jackiebrown

Postby Chapter 6 » 2007-07-20 04:41

Jackiebrown wrote:
I don't like you and I don't ****** want you! ****** die, bitch! ****** die!

I have the same issues that Linus faces. I'm forced to deal with people who misconstrue what I say and do

So that should be what? "I like you and I want you. Happily live, wonderful people. Happily live."

So close! But reverse it.

Jackiebrown wrote:Linus made a comment with no research. It would have cost nothing and would not have irritate a great deal of Debian users for an uneducated opinion.

You're assuming that he did no research. Debian does have a reputation of being difficult to install. This would suggest that he did do research. And his research told him that Debian was more difficult to install than some other distributions.

Jackiebrown wrote:Also Linux is not Linux is not Linux. There is a reason people have their favorite distros.

There are reasons why people have their favourite distributions. People choose Red Hat for the commercial support. People choose Ubuntu for its simple installation and hand-holding. I chose Debian because it runs on all of the hardware architectures that I use. People choose different distributions for different reasons. My previous statement about Linux being Linux being Linux remains true.

Linux is Linux is Linux. There are no significant differences between the different Linux distributions from a technical standpoint. Linux users can quite easily migrate from one distribution to another with little to no need to adapt to a different environment. The little differences like package management are not at all significant.

Chapter 6

Postby llivv » 2007-07-20 06:33

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-16 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
llivv

Postby Chapter 6 » 2007-07-20 07:55

llivv wrote:
I know I'm going to hell, "but that's the way is was and we LIKED IT"!

Huh?

Chapter 6

Postby Jackiebrown » 2007-07-20 19:24

Chapter 6 - I have seen my last posts on threads you posted.

Sorry if it looked like I was trolling you. I will back off.
Jackiebrown

Postby perlhacker14 » 2007-07-20 22:41

I just found out that RMS uses Debian... what a shock!

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment
perlhacker14

Postby Vergil » 2007-07-21 00:42

perlhacker14 wrote:I just found out that RMS uses Debian... what a shock!

I think he now uses gNewSense
http://www.stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
Vergil

Postby perlhacker14 » 2007-07-21 00:44

Vergil wrote:

I stand corrected; He used to use Debian on his laptops, then moved to some GNU/LinEx or whatever and now this gNewSense...

perlhacker14

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2007-07-21 05:35

perlhacker14 wrote:
Vergil wrote:

I stand corrected; He used to use Debian on his laptops, then moved to some GNU/LinEx or whatever and now this gNewSense...

I find it odd he is not running GNU? After all, he is all 'bout free & GNU has got to be freer then gNewSense.
Bro.Tiag

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-07-21 12:36

Bro.Tiag wrote:I find it odd he is not running GNU? After all, he is all 'bout free & GNU has got to be freer then gNewSense.

So Teague, if RMS absolutely needed to check his email at a airport or bus station and the only system available was MSwindows - do you think he would use mswindows?
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!
DeanLinkous

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic