Even Linus thinks Debian is hard to install

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Postby perlhacker14 » 2007-07-21 17:15

DeanLinkous wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:It seems that RMS would have more pressing concerns then listening to stuff... maybe updating that hyper political website of his and writing his next speech? Or working on some new software for GNU?

Just curious, is Hurd even usable with Debian?

I dont think RMS is nearly as one track as you seem to think he is...

Are you aware that he is fond of folk dancing?

I don't think he codes much at all anymore.


I am quite aware of his oddities; On his webpage he had some wack story about nasal sex with plants at a restaurant...
And he began a lecture with a folk dance once.

Yes... I read on /. that the once great leaders and coders are falling to checking code and approving features now, rather than working on code.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment
User avatar
perlhacker14
 
Posts: 465
Joined: 2007-06-19 20:19
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-07-21 17:32

I bet he doesnt even use a phone since the network is run with non-free software. I bet he doesn't flush a toilet because the waste management system uses non-free software. I bet he would never use a hospital since a lot of the devices have non-free code.

He should just use GNU (hurd) on everything....and do without everything else.

:lol:
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!
User avatar
DeanLinkous
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: 2006-06-04 15:28

Postby Chapter 6 » 2007-07-21 17:37

DeanLinkous wrote:I bet he doesnt even use a phone since the network is run with non-free software. I bet he doesn't flush a toilet because the waste management system uses non-free software. I bet he would never use a hospital since a lot of the devices have non-free code.


The man is eccentric. Not insane. To paraphrase a line from the movie Forest Gump: That boy is different.

Here's a quote from Richard Stallman's personal page:

"Those who profess to favor freedom, yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

-- Frederick Douglass, American Abolitionist, Letter to an associate, 1849
"Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
You have always told me you'd not live past 25
I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife."

-- Alice in Chains, Sludge Factory
Chapter 6
 
Posts: 178
Joined: 2007-05-10 02:06
Location: Fog of War

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-07-21 18:05

Love the quote....
I dont even think he is eccentric.

I was just ranting away because I fear that one person here cannot manage to figure out that free software isn't a absolute 'everything free right now' but at the same time it is not 'only when convenient' either.

I find it funny that a company (that is trying to get your money) can say "this is the right way" and people believe them. Whereas if RMS says "this is the right way" he is dismissed as a nut. :?
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!
User avatar
DeanLinkous
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: 2006-06-04 15:28

Postby Chapter 6 » 2007-07-21 18:45

DeanLinkous wrote:Love the quote....
I dont even think he is eccentric.

I was just ranting away because I fear that one person here cannot manage to figure out that free software isn't a absolute 'everything free right now' but at the same time it is not 'only when convenient' either.

I find it funny that a company (that is trying to get your money) can say "this is the right way" and people believe them. Whereas if RMS says "this is the right way" he is dismissed as a nut. :?


I think it's because we live in a commercialized society where we are conditioned to expect to be cheated. Everyone cheats us -- our governments, our churches, business, and even sometimes friends and family. We've been conditioned to expect nothing for nothing. We've learned that what is ours must be protected, for there is always someone wanting to take what we have away. So it seems rather odd when you find people that just want to give things away. It's a culture shock when you see people that give of themselves without asking for much of anything in return.

I think the idea of sharing is really quite foreign to most people. Particularly in western civilization. We've all been more or less assimilated into a society where greed is good, and only guilty or crazy people give; everyone else takes.

Right or wrong, it took generations to get to this stage. It will take generations still for mankind to evolve beyond the current status quo.
"Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
You have always told me you'd not live past 25
I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife."

-- Alice in Chains, Sludge Factory
Chapter 6
 
Posts: 178
Joined: 2007-05-10 02:06
Location: Fog of War

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2007-07-21 22:45

DeanLinkous wrote:I was just ranting away because I fear that one person here cannot manage to figure out that free software isn't a absolute 'everything free right now' but at the same time it is not 'only when convenient' either.


Aye, ya caught me Dean. Bit you already knew I did not install the GNU operating system because I believe in the FSF's idea of "free"software. I did so to challenge militant FSF advocates.
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

Postby Chapter 6 » 2007-07-21 23:42

Bro.Tiag wrote:Aye, ya caught me Dean. Bit you already knew I did not install the GNU operating system because I believe in the FSF's idea of "free"software. I did so to challenge militant FSF advocates.


That makes absolutely no sense. How are you challenging FSF advocates by using their software? That's like saying you had an abortion not because you had an unwanted pregnancy, but because you wanted to challenge the militant pro-choice advocates. It's just dumb.

It's like saying you use Vista not because you like the idea of commercial software, but because you want to challenge Microsoft.

It's like saying that you voted for Bush not because you're a Republican, but because you wanted to challenge Republican ideology.

It's like saying you drank the water not because you were thirsty, but because you wanted to challenge the water department.

It's like saying you...

Well, it's like saying that you're an idiot. :lol:
"Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
You have always told me you'd not live past 25
I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife."

-- Alice in Chains, Sludge Factory
Chapter 6
 
Posts: 178
Joined: 2007-05-10 02:06
Location: Fog of War

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2007-07-21 23:53

Chapter 6 wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:Aye, ya caught me Dean. Bit you already knew I did not install the GNU operating system because I believe in the FSF's idea of "free"software. I did so to challenge militant FSF advocates.


That makes absolutely no sense.


Ya Think? :mrgreen:
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

Postby llivv » 2007-07-22 00:57

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-16 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
llivv
 
Posts: 5484
Joined: 2007-02-14 18:10
Location: cold storage

Postby swirling_vortex » 2007-07-22 01:23

Hurd...I don't even know where it's going anymore. How many people are working on the project?

I'm sure it's better than MiniX, which failed to detect my IDE hard drive. :)
User avatar
swirling_vortex
 
Posts: 633
Joined: 2007-02-16 20:30
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Noven » 2007-07-22 01:40

Chapter 6 wrote:
DeanLinkous wrote:Love the quote....
I dont even think he is eccentric.

I was just ranting away because I fear that one person here cannot manage to figure out that free software isn't a absolute 'everything free right now' but at the same time it is not 'only when convenient' either.

I find it funny that a company (that is trying to get your money) can say "this is the right way" and people believe them. Whereas if RMS says "this is the right way" he is dismissed as a nut. :?


I think it's because we live in a commercialized society where we are conditioned to expect to be cheated. Everyone cheats us -- our governments, our churches, business, and even sometimes friends and family. We've been conditioned to expect nothing for nothing. We've learned that what is ours must be protected, for there is always someone wanting to take what we have away. So it seems rather odd when you find people that just want to give things away. It's a culture shock when you see people that give of themselves without asking for much of anything in return.

I think the idea of sharing is really quite foreign to most people. Particularly in western civilization. We've all been more or less assimilated into a society where greed is good, and only guilty or crazy people give; everyone else takes.

Right or wrong, it took generations to get to this stage. It will take generations still for mankind to evolve beyond the current status quo.


I disagree, kids are STILL taught how to share their toys and stuff in kindergarden. However, we LEARN to be stingy bastards over time. So we suck as people, but learned the right way...just strayed off the path :D
User avatar
Noven
 
Posts: 242
Joined: 2007-03-18 02:11

Postby BioTube » 2007-07-22 02:30

swirling_vortex wrote:Hurd...I don't even know where it's going anymore. How many people are working on the project?
You mean it wasn't abandoned? Haven't they been working on it for over a decade without results? Wine's been under development for a little less time and, though they haven't hit 1.0 yet, are far along in the beta department. Hurd's on what? Version 0.2 at best?

Personally, I think that two Unix clones is enough. We don't need a third stealing developers from the more mature(read: actually usable) ones.
Image
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
User avatar
BioTube
 
Posts: 7551
Joined: 2007-06-01 04:34

Postby Vergil » 2007-07-22 03:01

perlhacker14 wrote:
Just curious, is Hurd even usable with Debian?

I think there is a thread around here somewhere about Debian GNU/Hurd. It depends on your def of the world usable.
User avatar
Vergil
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 2007-04-22 04:54
Location: Tennessee, US

Postby swirling_vortex » 2007-07-22 13:41

User avatar
swirling_vortex
 
Posts: 633
Joined: 2007-02-16 20:30
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby perlhacker14 » 2007-07-22 15:29

swirling_vortex wrote:http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/


Then, it is not very usable; less then half the repos have been ported, and it is quite unstable from reading that...
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment
User avatar
perlhacker14
 
Posts: 465
Joined: 2007-06-19 20:19
Location: 127.0.0.1

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable