Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenovo to offer Suse on laptops

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
BioTube

Lenovo to offer Suse on laptops

#1 Post by BioTube »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6933859.stm

I'm starting to lose hope that Debian will ever come preinstalled on a major brand.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

ghostdawg

#2 Post by ghostdawg »

I wish they had picked a different distro, Debian comes to mind, but at least this should be good for linux in general...and I hope Lenovo advertise it more openly and don't do like Dell and hide their linux offerings on their website.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

BioTube

#3 Post by BioTube »

At the very least this means we know where to look for computers that play nice with Linux, provided they aren't slipping in binary blobs.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

AgenT

#4 Post by AgenT »

BioTube wrote:At the very least this means we know where to look for computers that play nice with Linux, provided they aren't slipping in binary blobs.
Companies usually do slip in binary blobs, but Lenovo (IBM) laptops are some of the best Linux compatible laptops out there. One major factor is due to having so many things controlled via hardware, instead of software. See my (very long and detailed) posts about IBM/Lenovo laptops for more details.

BioTube

#5 Post by BioTube »

I never did like dehardwareization.

perlhacker14

#6 Post by perlhacker14 »

Well SuSE does have commercial support and is an enterprised and all that, so people who complain about support cannot complain... Lenovo laptops are more compatable with Linux, especially with wireless drivers.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

jml

#7 Post by jml »

Ghostdawg, I agree with you. I have had a bad taste in my mouth ever since Novel made that "deal" with Microsoft. It was unlikely that a company like Lenovo would go with a non-commercial distro like Debian since they market many of their computers to corporations and corporate buyers like things like aftermarket support that they can pay for and "rely on."

On the other hand, I think its a very good sign that Lenovo made this move. It was not too long ago that Lenovo seemed on the path of developing a very Linux unfriendly attitude. For example, unlike the ThinkPad line of laptops that they purchased from IBM, their own 3000 series of notebooks were not noted for being particularly Linux friendly. Hopefully this will now change.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

hellfire[bg]

#8 Post by hellfire[bg] »

It was unlikely that a company like Lenovo would go with a non-commercial distro like Debian since they market many of their computers to corporations and corporate buyers like things like aftermarket support that they can pay for and "rely on."
They could have used Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

otter

#9 Post by otter »

Don't lose hope! :)

MeanDean

#10 Post by MeanDean »

I am hoping that HP will step up and put debian on some consumer systems since they have used/supportted debian for a good while.

matino

#11 Post by matino »

SuSe will be also installed on ASUS notebooks in the near future. Pitty not Debian :(

swirling_vortex

#12 Post by swirling_vortex »

I smell Microsoft. :lol: