Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ext2 on Windows

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sprucio

ext2 on Windows

#1 Post by sprucio »

Does anyone know if there is a stable driver that will allow Windows XP to read/write to an ext2 fs?

startx

#2 Post by startx »

there is a programm called explore2fs, but it only has read support.
this a a quite stable program.
(however this is actually not bad if you dont want viruses from win destroying linux partitions.)
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

i think if you really want a stable data exchange beetween the partitions you should use one vfat partition.

i know of one driver for win
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

but i never tested it so i cant tell you how stable this is.
debian squeeze for everyday life, many other versions for the rest

sprucio

#3 Post by sprucio »

Thanks for the help.

Currently, I have thre vfat partitions since vfat has a limitation of 40GB (give or take). Because I find it annoying to have multiple partitions, I really don't like this but I suppose this is the only thing that'll be sufficient for what I do since M$ won't allow any other FS drivers to work on their OS.

xequence

#4 Post by xequence »

sprucio wrote:Thanks for the help.

Currently, I have thre vfat partitions since vfat has a limitation of 40GB (give or take). Because I find it annoying to have multiple partitions, I really don't like this but I suppose this is the only thing that'll be sufficient for what I do since M$ won't allow any other FS drivers to work on their OS.
I think some programs can make fat32 partitions over 32 GB... I heard that the debian/ubuntu installer cant, while the mandriva one can. (Diskdrake I think its called)

sprucio

#5 Post by sprucio »

Would that work in Windows?

I need a file system that has a large size (50GB or more) that both Windows and Linux can read/write.

J Arcane

#6 Post by J Arcane »

Mainly, I just have an 80 GB vfat partition stuck square in the middle of my drive. I keep all my music and such there, so I can access from both. I used Windows to do all my drive partitioning, 10GB for Windows system, 80 GB for shared data, and then partitioned another 20GB as FAT as a placeholder for Debian, which then got overwritten when I installed it.

Explore2fs is handy though.

Arnvidr

#7 Post by Arnvidr »

You can make fat32 partitions much larger than 32 GB, but Windows can't read bigger partitions without some kind of trickery. Search around for a fix perhaps :)

Jason W

#8 Post by Jason W »

I have found that using an ext2 partition is the best way for me to share data between Linux and Windows. Most my computers exclusively run Linux. But I share one machine with my son which is a Windows 2k box that I may boot into Knoppix every few days. So most files downloaded and saved to that partition are done with Windows. But when I use Knoppix, I want to have Linux file permissions so I save and run programs, scripts and such. And when I set up a dual boot, I would like the shared partition to be my /home directory. Fat32 works well, of course, for data storage but I would prefer using a native Linux filesystem.

Here is a couple of read/write ext2 Windows drivers:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

I have used both of these for a couple of days, and I haven't found any problem so far in normal use. My biggest concern was that the ext2 partition would be -through Windows- mounted, wrote to, and then unmounted leaving it in a clean state. So far when I run e2fsck on the partition after using it in Windows it reports it as clean. Seems to work for me.