Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Going to Holland

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Carlosinfl

Going to Holland

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

I will be coming back to Holland early 2006. I use to live in Rotterdam and will be bringing my girlfriend. I wanted to know since many users from here are dutch, what are some cool places I can go see? I am not talking about traditional tourist places but some cool places that a normal 26 year old will find interesting. We will make a drive to Belgium to see more family but if anyone could note some cool things other than the red light ditrict in Amsterdam, please do.

- Carlos

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by kink »

Hey Carlos,

Good to hear you're visiting our country :) I don't know what kind of activities you're normally interested in but Holland offers a lot.. Here are some random things from the top of my head. I've left out all the standard tourist attractions like red light district, cheese market, tulip fields etc.

- Amsterdam is a very dynamic city with lots of things to do. There's a weekly free magazine that lists special activities. Although these are a real tourist attraction, some of the city's museums (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum) are very nice.

- Utrecht, half an hour from Amsterdam is the place where I live, and is a nice city for a day trip. It has beautiful canals and a nice historic center, but also some very new architectural landmarks. As a real student city, it offers a good choice of pubs and friendly priced restaurants. If you're into shopping you are also right on spot in Utrecht, and it has some interesting musea as well.

- Themepark de Efteling in the south of the country is one of the best of its kind in Europe, and able to compete with Disney Land Paris and Tivoli Gardens.

Just some random things... have fun!

kink

#3 Post by kink »

Never mind about the themepark: it will open again in April after a winter break.