Is Richard Stallman the Enemy of Freedom?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Is Richard Stallman the Enemy of Freedom?

Postby kutjara » 2008-05-14 23:43

craigevil wrote:What OS do you use? Debian Ultimate Home Edition Extreme, sounds so much better than just Debian GNU/LInux doesn't it?

It really does. And it sounds even better when compared to "Lenny" or "Sid."

Alice: "What OS do you use/"
Bob: "Debian Lenny."
Alice: "D. B. and Lenny? What are you talking about? I'm asking about operating systems, not the latest cop buddy movie."
Bob: "No no. Debian Lenny."
Alice: "What the hell is a 'dubion?" Some unholy cross between the President and an onion? And why are you calling me Lenny? My name is Alice."
Bob: "You're not listening. Debian is a GNU/Linux operating system, and Lenny is the current testing version that will be released later this year."
Alice: "Are you using narcotics?"
Bob: "No! Debian Etch is the current stable version, Debian Lenny is the testing version, and Debian Sid is the unstable version. See?"
Alice: "Sid?"
Bob: "Sid is the unstable version, yes."
Alice: "There's an operating system called "Sid"?
Bob: "Well, a version of one, yes."
Alice: "Why?"
Bob: "Why not?"
Alice: "Because it sounds silly?"
Bob: "Actually, it's cute. You see, all the version names are taken from "Toy Story" characters."
Alice: "Riiiiiigt. It all makes perfect sense. OK, I have to go stand over there now."
Last edited by kutjara on 2008-05-15 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
My Linux/BSD Menagerie:

Acer Aspire 4315-2535 - Debian Lenny/Sid
HP tx1420us - sidux 64
Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P - PC-BSD 1.5.1
Sony Playstation 3 - Yellow Dog Linux
kutjara

Postby Arkaaito » 2008-05-15 04:22

ROTFL. kutjara, I love it so much I changed my desktop.

Bonus points for using Alice and Bob.
Arkaaito

Postby kutjara » 2008-05-15 05:38

Arkaaito wrote:ROTFL. kutjara, I love it so much I changed my desktop.

Bonus points for using Alice and Bob.

I love the lettering! Just this side of totally unhinged, like the user is so excited about Debian Ultimate Extreme, they've nearly gone off the deep end.

After years of reading about their covert long-distance relationship in cryptography books, I thought I'd finally give Alice and Bob something to say to each other. :)
My Linux/BSD Menagerie:

Acer Aspire 4315-2535 - Debian Lenny/Sid
HP tx1420us - sidux 64
Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P - PC-BSD 1.5.1
Sony Playstation 3 - Yellow Dog Linux
kutjara

Postby Primetime » 2008-05-20 10:28

Jackiebrown wrote:Look at OS2. If was open source, it would have carried on despite the problems it came against.

No, some petitioned IBM to make it open source. IBM couldn't, though, because it contains Microsoft code.

Cope57 wrote:Primetime, Where do you get this material?

I wrote it. I got most of the information for it from Wikipedia.

BioTube wrote:The first, of course, is the attention pandering: GNU/Linux is nothing but.

Thank you. Ironically, most of Stallman's GNU applications are (by his own admission) clones of those written by AT&T for UNIX! If that's the case, why don't we call it "AT&T/Linux?" It'd be like AT&T telling us to call phones "Bell telephones." He wants to take credit every time we say the word Linux. Even if we did call it "GNU/Linux" we wouldn't be crediting MIT for the X Window system; HP for ACLs; Conectiva for Synaptic; or BSD for virtual memory, soft links, sendmail, man, and so on.

By the way: thanks for not flaming me, guys. I was convinced that was going to happen.
Primetime

Postby MeanDean » 2008-05-20 11:36

Primetime wrote:Thank you. Ironically, most of Stallman's GNU applications are (by his own admission) clones of those written by AT&T for UNIX! If that's the case, why don't we call it "AT&T/Linux?" It'd be like AT&T telling us to call phones "Bell telephones." He wants to take credit every time we say the word Linux. Even if we did call it "GNU/Linux" we wouldn't be crediting MIT for the X Window system; HP for ACLs; Conectiva for Synaptic; or BSD for virtual memory, soft links, sendmail, man, and so on.

By the way: thanks for not flaming me, guys. I was convinced that was going to happen.

first of all - it isn't Stallmans GNU it is simply GNU....
second - it isnt flaming when you are simply and obviously wrong about many things
third - you are simply wrong about many things you stated in your original post

bonus - How exactly does HE get the credit when we say GNU???
MeanDean

Postby Primetime » 2008-05-20 11:52

MeanDean wrote:bonus - How exactly does HE get the credit when we say GNU???

Richard Stallman founded GNU and is its de-facto (and perhaps official) spokeman. He is also the president of the Free Software Foundation, which runs GNU <http://www.gnu.org/people/people.html#r>. Why else would he make such a big deal out of its name?

I don't know what you mean in your second point. I wasn't being sarcastic, if that's what you mean. I was sincerely thanking you for not flaming me (or at least not badly).
Primetime

Postby kinematic » 2008-05-20 18:21

BioTube wrote:GNOME - I understand where it came from, but it's really something that oughtta go.

So just because you don't like it it's gotta go :lol:
I happen to like Gnome more than KDE so following your reasoning KDE has gotta go :roll:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
kinematic

Postby BioTube » 2008-05-20 23:01

I don't see what GNOME has over KDE - it's not even prettier.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby muskrat » 2008-05-21 01:27

Frist of all just because it's on the wiki doesn't mean it's true. On the internet you had best get your info from several sources each independent from the other.

He also created his own version of RPM (deb). I

My understanding is Debian has been around longer than RedHat, and debian a package management system before anybody else.

For example, he started Gnome, which diverted volunteers from KDE

If he really did this, then praise God, because Gnome is a better desktop for me!
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny
muskrat

Postby diveli » 2008-05-21 01:55

muskrat wrote:If he really did this, then praise God, because Gnome is a better desktop for me!

He didn't
diveli

Postby jonny_noog » 2008-05-21 02:09

So I'm confused... the original post really isn't a joke??

Well, if it's not a joke, it's pretty funny.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
jonny_noog

Postby diveli » 2008-05-21 02:11

In my opinion it's neither. It's just a troll.

Maybe it was Stallman himself ;)
diveli

Postby jonny_noog » 2008-05-21 02:15

Mmm. I guess.

I read this post some time ago and fully made up my mind that it was a joke, had a chuckle and moved on. Then when the OP came back and said it wasn't a joke, I still fully thought he was just being ironic. That in its self is kind of funny to me.

So if it is a joke, it's kind of funny and if it's not, it's still kind of funny.

And if it's neither, then it's still kind of funny.

So win/win/win I say. :lol:
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
jonny_noog

Postby diveli » 2008-05-21 03:01

At least Yale had a bit more guts to take him on than post about it on forums!

:)
diveli

Postby Primetime » 2008-05-21 06:00

sossego wrote:Gnome was started when the Qt toolkit for KDE was still a proprietary source licensed environment.

Qt's source code was always available for free under the FreeQt license. You just couldn't modify it. People were already developing the Harmony toolkit to replace it, too, but GNOME was started anyway. It's a shame, because it's inferior to KDE.

muskrat wrote:Frist of all just because it's on the wiki doesn't mean it's true. On the internet you had best get your info from several sources each independent from the other

I wasn't writing a research paper. I usually do that when I write a paper for a class. If there's a part you dispute, let me know and I'll look it up in an e-book. As for deb, I'd have no problem admitting I was wrong about that so long as you provide a link that gives the date it was released.

diveli wrote:In my opinion it's neither. It's just a troll.

I am a troll, but I don't think what I posted was trolling. I was just telling the truth, but I guess you can't handle that without crying about it. 8)

At least Yale had a bit more guts to take him on than post about it on forums!

So you'd fly across the world to beat up an old man? That doesn't sound very courageous. Just get a girlfiend. That'll keep you busy. :wink:

By the way, whether Stallman did all the work on these projects himself is irrelevant, since the project he runs keeps doing them and diverting volunteers away from other projects.
Primetime

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic