Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux-libre project meets rocky reception

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sayad

#61 Post by sayad »

Oh now , having the kernels all free would be a situation like every one is free enough to do all rubbish , it is like freedom to the bad guys.

didi

#62 Post by didi »

BowCatShot wrote:Somebody please explain the objections to software patents so that I can understand.
Because you can patent an idea to solve a problem. One such an idea could be "processing of a form on the web". There is actually a patent about that, filed by IBM. If IBM didn't transfer that patent to a non-profit organization and made that patent/idea usable to everyone that wants to without being charged for it, that means NO ONE is allowed to make a program which processes a form on the web without the patent holders (written?) permission. Consequently IBM would have the monopoly on making any web server!!

Likewise, you essentially won't be able to write a software program anymore, because every algorithm you want to use, you'll have to check whether someone has a patent on it and if it does, you can't use that part of the program anymore, unless you are granted so by the patent holder to do so (probably by paying some amount of $). And if you decide to keep writing software, buy a law firm to check for patent violations. Anything less will not be sufficient.

Donald Knuth on software patents
Donald Knuth wrote:My personal opinion is that algorithms are like mathematics, i.e. inherently non-patentable. It worries me that most patents are about simple ideas that I would expect my students to develop them as part of their homework.
source: http://eupat.ffii.org/gasnu/knuth/index.en.html