Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DC++ for Linux? Direct Connect clients?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
dpdt1

#16 Post by dpdt1 »

"linuxdcpp" works just fine for me.
i think that although still in cvs, it's far better than valknut and dcgui..
both in looks and usability.
Yo vengo del hoyo
Esa es mi bandera

Humbletech99

#17 Post by Humbletech99 »

I would expect so given that it's a DC++ port, the best and most popular client on windows is finally coming to linux. Wish they'd add multi-source downloading though!

I'll give it a try. :-)
The Human Equation:

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)

Arnvidr

#18 Post by Arnvidr »

In some areas I feel so helpless....

Could someone post a quick howto on how to pull this from cvs and install it? :D

dpdt1

#19 Post by dpdt1 »

Arnvidr wrote:In some areas I feel so helpless....

Could someone post a quick howto on how to pull this from cvs and install it? :D
personally, i apt-got it from sid repos on debian-amd64 . easy as that.
pick your own here: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/linuxdcpp
Yo vengo del hoyo
Esa es mi bandera

Humbletech99

#20 Post by Humbletech99 »

it's in Sid's apt? awesome, if I can find it under linuxdcpp I'll give it a try double quick!
The Human Equation:

Arnvidr

#21 Post by Arnvidr »

Seems to be working like a charm! :D

If I just finish all my downloads in Windows I can let it rot :P

Humbletech99

#22 Post by Humbletech99 »

great! I apt-getted it but then my laptop hard drive started playing up so I spent the night fiddling with it and the next day it died completely and I couldn't even get knoppix to recover anything since the drive was mechanically dead.

damn, gotta start from scratch again.
The Human Equation:

Humbletech99

#23 Post by Humbletech99 »

Having just rebuilt Debian on my laptop this weekend after my hard drive failed, I'm now ready to go apt-get that and give it a try...

If it works well enough then I'll actually be looking to get rid of the windows version and keep it on Linux.
The Human Equation:

anarki

#24 Post by anarki »

I use valknut and i am used to it.

I think you overlooked a major feature in valknut: the ability to search in all public hubs without being connected to them.

It does the same job as dc++ without the same interface so i dont see a problem in using valknut

Humbletech99

#25 Post by Humbletech99 »

careful, hubs tend to ban you if you search them without entering them, Also, the default settings of the majority of clients is to only allow people in the same hub to download off them...

there is actually a program to search hubs in that manner, but those that used it started getting banned and were wondering why they could never download all the stuff they found!

may not be as useful as you think!
The Human Equation:

Dex

well..

#26 Post by Dex »

**Personal thoughts only! :) **

Chill. Sure, linux is a great os. But 95% of all private computers are using Windows. You cant say you think somthing is bad because you dont see a linux port where there are only a 5% market for it?

I read in some post that there is a open source version of the program you are looking for. Well... a community with mostly to completely free software will probably never be as broad as a commersial one. Yes,, yes.. with the help of open source it do get one step closer for sure. By really helping those developers of free open software applications to a finished product. But!

In a free and open source software community there will allways be a "do it yourself" to the finish part, or to cross compile it.

Now, dont get me wrong here :) This is just thoughts. Im running three boxes at my home, and all are running linux. Because i think its a more creative, flexible and fun system. And amazing with all those "spare time" developers around it. But as a software engineerer, i think commersial products will always be more finished.

My 2 cents :)

Arnvidr

#27 Post by Arnvidr »

Having a little problem with linuxdcpp. It has to rehash all files containing special characters (like ö and ð for instance) every time I start the program. Would this be a bug with the program not being able to save them to the database perhaps? Using the version in unstable, so it's a month or so old, so it might already be fixed in cvs. Anyone know?

hellfire[bg]

#28 Post by hellfire[bg] »

I`ve been using ldcpp for some time and i haven`t had any problems so far. It has very nice interface and is quite easy to use. Of course it is my openion but i think it is worth a try. The description synaptic gives for it is:
Linux port of the famous dc++ client
This package provides the linux port of the famous
windows client dc++ for the P2P network Direct
Connect.

This project uses the core dc++ with a rewritten
GTK user interface, so most of all the killer features
of dc++ are in it!
The version in unstable is 0.0.1.cvs20060715-1.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

woosting

#29 Post by woosting »

Is there also a DC client for stable?

gvang

LinuxDCpp

#30 Post by gvang »

Hey, can anybody help me? I have been using LinuxDCpp for a couple of weeks now and it worked fine, but now whenever i try to connect to a university hub, it gives me the message "Connect Failed: Disconnected". What can I do to get it to work again? Thanks for the help in advance.

zizou

very slow dwnld speed

#31 Post by zizou »

I just installed Debian on my comp. a few weeks back... & I am amazed by its ease of customization...

nyway, the prblem is that in our university LAN we use DC++ to transfer files..
I have tried the linux counterparts... valknut / linuxdcpp / dcgui
For a few days it worked like a charm! :D
however, recently linuxdcpp was showing real slow speeds (abt. 20 Kbps ) when usually it goes at 6 Mbps... it wasnt a user problem... coz it persisted, i retried frm other users... but it persists....
I tried with valknut, the first 2 /3 dwnlds were fine, but the same thing started once again....

Bfore this I had a problem with linuxdcpp... it used to exit suddenly saying Bus Error ... I reinstalled & deleted all my ~/.dc++/ files, reshared, and it was working fine again....

I know that linuxdcpp is yet to be beta, but i feel the problem's somewhere else... coz even valknut's giving the same problem.... :?