Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Poor Gentoo....

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
kryptos

Poor Gentoo....

#1 Post by kryptos »

Poor Gentoo users.....http://funroll-loops.org/ :D

japetto

#2 Post by japetto »

haha. nice find. that is so funny and true! it's too bad that people seem to forget what running a *nix machine is all about. especially a gnu/linux machine.

Wolven

#3 Post by Wolven »

Yes the site is funny and some of it applies to some of the Gentoo users, but please don't make generalizations.
I'm getting realy sick of the Gentoo bashing from some Debian users. (I see this alot on the #debian IRC channel.)

I frankly don't see the point of distro wars. It's all Linux. (Or GNU/Linux if you insist.)
Some like Slackware, some like SUSE, some like Redhat, some like Gentoo and some like Debian etc. I personaly like and run both Gentoo and Debian.

How is GNU/Linux going to "make it" if we all keep bashing each other?
We need to get past this "My dad is stronger than your dad" mentality.

Don't get me wrong. I've read that site before and laughed, but it's getting old.

Rem

#4 Post by Rem »

Yes, I don't think you can judge an entire community by some of their users. The funroll site is funny, but I think that there is only a small portion of Gentoo users really toying around with the optimizations. The rest just uses it because of other reasons.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#5 Post by Jeroen »

benjim

#6 Post by benjim »

That's so funny, I've just sent it to a Gentooista I know. :)

#7 Post by Guest »

I don't know why some debian users attack continuosly gentoo? And what exactly means "gentoo is not about running a *nix machine"? How much Debian is more about running *nix machine than Gentoo?

Linux is fighting it's way to desktop users, and naturaly, some of them want to squeeze last cent of preformance out of its box. If you really know what are you doing with some flags, you can boost your system to some extent, and it will for sure be faster than Debian packages for the same architecture. Nobody would do it on a heavyload critical server, but then again, nobody uses for example Gimp on that kind of hardware.

Every distro has it's advantages and disadvantages, so does gentoo and Debian. Ubuntu is "stealing" debian home users for some reasons, and that clearly states Debian is not a perfect distro. Such a thing does not exist.

Granden

#8 Post by Granden »

Whats so wrong with Gentoo imo it seems to be a realy nice dist, if I ever gonna change from Debian but dont think so it will be to Gentoo, maybe have the server as debian and Gentoo as desktop later.

Scorpaen

#9 Post by Scorpaen »

i still have a Gentoo server but i'm trying Debian for my desktop as of this morning. I got tired of compiling everything. So much faster to install Debian.
Gentoo is nice if you have the patience.
Also i had a lot of trouble with my sound apps crashing and couldn't resolve the problem so i got mad and nuked it and installed Debian. This after 1.5 years of being a gentooist.
wish me luck!

~Scorpaen

The Virus

#10 Post by The Virus »

The reason I bash gentoo users is because when/if they find out I use debian, this is their main replies
LYK DEBIAN IS SO OUTDATED!111
Debian, the distro that's outdated before it's released
posers

Roeland

#11 Post by Roeland »

The Virus wrote:
Debian, the distro that's outdated before it's released
At least it's stable when it's released ;)

And on Gentoo the software is outdated before you're ready compiling.

-Roeland
Science Center
Debian GNU/Linux flowing through my veins

pony-tail

#12 Post by pony-tail »

I am installing Gentoo on another machine (their latest 2006.0) as I am writing this . I am 24 HOURS into the install and it is just emerging KDE -
still not bootable yet . My Deb. Box was up , on the net ,and configured in
60 minutes . I am no "L33T" expert or anything I can not even write code,
but it does seem gentoo takes a very long time to install and configure -
But it usually runs well once fully installed and configured .
Even though I have not in the 18 months I have been using Gentoo , had
any stability issues I have had some configuration issues (solved by reading
the gentoo forum ) I have not had to ask for help yet - and I hope I do not
have to as some of the posters there are pretty rude to us mortals , although
most are OK.
So I will keep using Debian for my day to day essentials - Deb. Stable is as it
says - - stable.
More frequent updates would be nice though!

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#13 Post by Lavene »

I hate distro-wars and avoid them like the plague. If you take part in a discussion, however sober, about a distro you can bet your a** that someone comes along and flame you. Like many other Linux users I have tried numerous distros and have ended up with a personal favorite: Debian. And of the top of my head I can remember being flamed for not liking Mandriva, Fedora, Ubuntu/ Kubuntu, Mepis, Slack...

And I have been flamed for liking Debian, Vector, Kanotix...

If people like Gentoo it's fine. The same with every other distro I personally don't like. One of the best things about GNU/ Linux is choice and if a person likes he's/ her's choice it is a right one.

Tina

inconnu

#14 Post by inconnu »

Lavene wrote:One of the best things about GNU/ Linux is choice and if a person likes he's/ her's choice it is a right one.
Well said, Lavene! I'm tempted to steal that for my signature!

I too have heard the comments about Debian stable being stale, but honestly, I'm not interested in running bleeding-edge os: I love the stability of Debian. For me, Debian is the best choice; and I'm perfectly happy that others, with different criteria, have found other distros that suit them.

I have to admit, though, I've looked into some of the options in relation to my SeaMonkey builds. Even spent some time lurking on a Gentoo forum, I think, reading about it. But, I found that, just in my experience, most of the more exotic stuff didn't result in much of an improvement, and sometimes reduced speed; -O2 with a few extras works best for me. The patches I use (from mmoy and Lontronics, if any of you follow the Mozilla third-party builds) seem to make more difference than anything else.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1