Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Internet censorship

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
MarkS

Internet censorship

#1 Post by MarkS »

The nation I live in has a government that censors the internet. Many websites are blocked, and more are being blocked every day. If you go to http://www.econsultant.com/proxylist/index.html
you will find the URL's for a lot of proxy servers. All of them are blocked here. As far as we know, the government is not intercepting and reading all e-mail messages yet. It's just too big a job for them to do now.

I would like to be able to access the entire internet. There is a lot of news that we cannot get here. Books, magazines, newspapers are all censored. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I use Debian Sarge.

Do not post here, please. I will not access this forum again. Do not send me e-mail! Send your suggestions to a friend who lives in another country. His address is aroo2schliedo@yahoo.com. He will get your messages to me, never mind how. There will be a delay but I will get them.

Sorry, but I won't be able to respond directly to anyone who sends me suggestions. Unless, of course, one of the suggestions works as well as I hope it will. I may be able to get messages out to you by using indirect means, including a combination of snail mail
and scanning, but that depends on the cooperation of others and sometimes that breaks down.

This is the fix a lot more people will be in if the UN takes over the internet. I am grateful that some nations still do not prevent the free flow of information.

I'd like to request the moderator to remove this post and destroy evidence of my visit in about a week.

Thank you in advance for your help.

"Mark"