Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
craigevil

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

#1 Post by craigevil »

Hello everybody out there using Linux -

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux! Thanks to the many Chromium and WebKit developers who helped make Google Chrome a lean, mean browsing machine. Here are a few fun facts from us on the Google Chrome for Linux team:

60,000 lines of Linux-specific code written
23 developer builds
2,713 Linux-specific bugs fixed
12 external committers and bug editors to the Google Chrome for Linux code base, 48 external code contributors

Thanks for waiting and we hope that you enjoy using Google Chrome!

Google Chrome Team

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/w00t.html

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome-beta
google-chrome-beta:
Installed: 4.0.249.30-r33928
Candidate: 4.0.249.30-r33928
Version table:
*** 4.0.249.30-r33928 0
500 http://dl.google.com stable/main Packages
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

milomak

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

#2 Post by milomak »

how do you find it handles with java and flash sites?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

sir fer

#3 Post by sir fer »

that would explain why SRWare Iron is available as well...google chrome without the spyware.

Strata92

#4 Post by Strata92 »

sir fer wrote:that would explain why SRWare Iron is available as well...google chrome without the spyware.
Do you know what exactly its removing? I mean i haven't spotted anything obvious that chrome is storing, just the search auto completion, guess they could find the sites i visit with that but i don't care.

eric1959

#5 Post by eric1959 »

I've installed version 4.0.249.30 today, it's running but not showing any page ! Starting google-chrome in terminal is showing :

[11627:11635:1150046399:ERROR:/usr/local/google/home/chrome-eng/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/base/shared_memory_posix.cc(192)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/com.google.chrome.CCcuHn failed: No such file or directory
[11627:11627:1150571921:ERROR:/usr/local/google/home/chrome-eng/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/base/shared_memory_posix.cc(192)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/com.google.chrome.R9tDoh failed: No such file or directory
[11627:11642:1150784859:ERROR:/usr/local/google/home/chrome-eng/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/base/shared_memory_posix.cc(192)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/com.google.chrome.oOtIEb failed: No such file or directory
[11627:11627:1151035424:ERROR:/usr/local/google/home/chrome-eng/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/base/shared_memory_posix.cc(192)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/com.google.chrome.tMATz6 failed: No such file or directory
[11627:11642:1151206541:ERROR:/usr/local/google/home/chrome-eng/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/base/shared_memory_posix.cc(192)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/com.google.chrome.Mj68W1 failed: No such file or directory

Any solution ?
Last edited by eric1959 on 2009-12-12 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

sir fer

#6 Post by sir fer »

Strata92 wrote:
sir fer wrote:that would explain why SRWare Iron is available as well...google chrome without the spyware.
Do you know what exactly its removing? I mean i haven't spotted anything obvious that chrome is storing, just the search auto completion, guess they could find the sites i visit with that but i don't care.
It's not what chrome is storing but apart from the highly irritating constant pinging of google every time you type something in the address/search bar it is sending google info about your browsing habits. I may be paranoid but I just don't like it. But then I don't like google in general.

dbbolton

#7 Post by dbbolton »

I like the xkcd knock-off.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

milomak

#8 Post by milomak »

it's not immediately clear to me how I can manage cookies myself. adblocking is available as an extension which is good.

tbf the speed gains from chrome and opera are not so great as to make me abandon FF (or any of its derivatives).
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

AdrianTM

#9 Post by AdrianTM »

craigevil wrote: 60,000 lines of Linux-specific code written
23 developer builds
2,713 Linux-specific bugs fixed
That's what happens when you start with unportable code. I think they didn't look too much forward when they made Google Chrome first time.

I've been running Chromium for a while and is working great, very fast, very compatible (all the sites I use including banking, credit cards) work just fine. Now there are extensions such as flashblock, adblock (I think there are around 500 extensions already). I don't see any reason to use Firefox now. I was not a Firefox fan before either, I preferred Opera, but Opera is not as compatible or as fast as Chrome, so it loses, even though I don't have good mouse gestures in Chromium yet.

Yes, Java and Flash work just fine.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

Paulfocused

#10 Post by Paulfocused »

To be honest I've always been a fan of Firefox/Iceweasel. I've tried many others, but I always go back. Midori is cool too. The concept of Chrome is nice, but it's just not for me.
I am root!!

craigevil

#11 Post by craigevil »

Paulfocused wrote:To be honest I've always been a fan of Firefox/Iceweasel. I've tried many others, but I always go back. Midori is cool too. The concept of Chrome is nice, but it's just not for me.
Same here plus Chrome uses way more ram/cpu than Firefox and for me at least takes twice as long to load a page as Firefox does.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

Bulkley

#12 Post by Bulkley »

Because it is Google, I have to ask. What's in it for Google? Is there some code hidden somewhere that gives them feedback that they wouldn't get from a Firefox user? Do you have to put up with their banner the way Opera users used to? Are there more than the usual ads?

AdrianTM

#13 Post by AdrianTM »

Bulkley wrote:Because it is Google, I have to ask. What's in it for Google? Is there some code hidden somewhere that gives them feedback that they wouldn't get from a Firefox user? Do you have to put up with their banner the way Opera users used to? Are there more than the usual ads?
if you are afraid of Google code you can use Chromium which is open sourced.

What's in for them? Google is the default search engine, they also control the user experience, not likely that an upgrade would install Bing as default search engine. They won't have to pay other browser makers to put Google as default search engine (where do you think Mozilla makes money out of Firefox?). Better support for their online services: Gmail, Google Docs, etc. Weaning people from IE. And there are probably other reasons.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

llivv

#14 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-22 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

jheaton5

#15 Post by jheaton5 »

llivv wrote:Have you read the eula? Very near the end of the 4 pages of 8 point type, there is a clause stating you allow google unrestricted remote access the the code. See if you can find it and if it sounds right to you or no.
There have been a few blog entries at planet about google in the last few days too. One is about working to make the beta binary into a package if possible. They might still be up if you can find them.
You read all 4 pages? :P
debian sid

craigevil

#16 Post by craigevil »

llivv wrote:Have you read the eula? Very near the end of the 4 pages of 8 point type, there is a clause stating you allow google unrestricted remote access the the code. See if you can find it and if it sounds right to you or no.
There have been a few blog entries at planet about google in the last few days too. One is about working to make the beta binary into a package if possible. They might still be up if you can find them.
Personally I think people worry too much. Google, yahoo, your own ISP all track things, using a search engine or webmail, IM all get tracked especially if you live in the USA or the UK.

Isn't it already a package? I installed it from the Google repo not from the Google install page.
/var/cache/apt/archives/google-chrome-beta_4.0.249.30-r33928_i386.deb
My Giant Sources.list

llivv

#17 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 15:13, edited 2 times in total.

llivv

#18 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

craigevil

#19 Post by craigevil »

nifty,
man google-chrome , it actually has a man page.
My Giant Sources.list

julian67

#20 Post by julian67 »

craigevil wrote: Personally I think people worry too much. Google, yahoo, your own ISP all track things, using a search engine or webmail, IM all get tracked especially if you live in the USA or the UK
That's true but having every place you go tracked and aggregated by a single company puts it in a different light, because it allows a very complete profile to be built. It's almost impossible to avoid having this information recorded, or so inconvenient that it's only worth doing in exceptional circumstances, but maybe it's better if any single entity can only build a fragmented and partial profile of each individual.

By this time next year it's possible that people will be running a Google OS using Google apps, the Google browser and Google DNS. Perhaps they will be syncing their data with their Google phone and at home will be making their voice calls over Google VOIP. Even the websites they visit which are not obviously associated with Google are likely to be using Google syndication and analytics. That is all extremely valuable data to all kinds of people, as well as to Google.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"