Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
nadir

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

#61 Post by nadir »

deach wrote:ok well after all the fuss about this, has anybody actually gotten this browser to "FULLY" work. Ie play movies in it, javascript, (national weather service still uses that here) and and not crash every few minutes? Just curious. I have to be totally honest here, my experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth for either of the "chrome" browsers.
not a friend of them, but it works out of box:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1473 ... shotsd.png
Last edited by nadir on 2010-01-10 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Telemachus

#62 Post by Telemachus »

My advice: don't go to YouTube (or anywhere else with Flash-wrapped videos) without installing this extension for Chrome. It replaces the Flash wrapper with an HTML5 wrapper. (More gooder, less CPU, less crashing.)
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

AdrianTM

#63 Post by AdrianTM »

Telemachus wrote:My advice: don't go to YouTube (or anywhere else with Flash-wrapped videos) without installing this extension for Chrome. It replaces the Flash wrapper with an HTML5 wrapper. (More gooder, less CPU, less crashing.)
That's interesting, but for some reasons I don't get sound in "native player", I don't even know what's that... I guess mplayer...
(also I don't see much reduction in CPU usage)

EDIT: Hmm, sounds started to work... maybe it needed to reload... but the image is pretty bad and I can't see an option for full screen.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

refracta

#64 Post by refracta »

I have about gave up on trying other browsers....they all seem about the same....

dbbolton

#65 Post by dbbolton »

refracta wrote:I have about gave up on trying other browsers....they all seem about the same....
Now wait just a damn minute. I thought hate was the derangement.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

deach

#66 Post by deach »

I understand it does flash. I was talking about something with .wmv or .mpg. Honestly I just don't see the advantage of it. It's faster on some sites yes, *when it works* but, overall I still get a better with Iceweasel or even Opera. Of course my surfing habits may vary from yours.

nadir

#67 Post by nadir »

huh? why did you say flash than? i remembered it to play flash. so, to prove it:
i had to activate the !%!#§ google-repos, install it and open it. make the shots, upload them, post them, than remove the chrome again , # the repos and clean things up.
you a google-spy? :D

just kidding. i always go back to iceweasel/firefox after a while (epiphany is a cool one too, konqueror too, but i don't use kde-apps no more. those two could replace iceweasel, but why?).

AdrianTM

#68 Post by AdrianTM »

"when it works"? Well, again for me it worked for all the sites I tried, can you post a site on which Chrome "doesn't work" and Firefox does, I'm curious.

It's not only how fast a page loads, it's also how fast the browser starts and how the GUI feels, frankly after using Chrome I feel that Firefox GUI has some molasses in it. Another benefit is that Chrome has a streamlined interface on a netbook with a small screen I get about 10% more useful screen, don't have to see the bulky Firefox menus (sure Firefox can be tweaked to take less space, but why bother?)

PS. And don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less what browser you use, you could use IE in Wine for what I care, but stop spreading FUD...

refracta

#69 Post by refracta »

so if chrome adds a menu it will automatically lose something because it no longer has a streamlined interface....???

oh, and I guess spatial mode nautilus rocks because it has such a streamlined interface ???

what are bulky menus anyway?

nadir

#70 Post by nadir »

slight-version:
bulked-version:
tweaking from one mode to the other takes about 2 secs (alt+V, right-arrow, hit enter, down-arrow, hit enter, + hit F11 for fullscreen mode). works here. :wink:

AdrianTM

#71 Post by AdrianTM »

yeah removing the address bar... smart move....

nadir

#72 Post by nadir »

a) two secs, if one is slow b) i got space c)compare it with the shot of google-chrome above d)odd you didn't realize i didn't remove the status-bar. e)odd you didn't realize i don't use the firefox-theme for small screens.

you in the chat mood again? no matter what it says, just a bit of small-talking?glad the warehouse is up+running again tomorrow, just to get rid of the boredom?

the "bulk"-shot is the browser the way i use it. only thing i removed is the bookmarks-bar. no tweaking necessary. it ain't bulked.

deach

#73 Post by deach »

Yes I can post a site i use it doesn't work at http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes would be one I have handy. won't show the radar "loop" I'm not trying to spread "fud" as you call it. I personally don't care if which browser you use and like. I'm just saying I had problems with it. ....Also no where in my "original" post did I say it didn't do flash. I said "movie" I was just trying to get a feel for how many people had it working correctly is all. For whatever the reason on MY box, it's not. Thanks......I notice a lot of people have tried it though and aren't using it any more. At any rate google on.....it's ok it's just not working right for me. I can't play the .wmv file here http://home.att.net/~cherokee68/wmvtest.html and it doesn't appear to open mpg's either.

EDIT: You know what?? I just did a dist-upgrade on my box and apparently it fixed "something" I can now see the radar loop at the National Weather Service site. Hummm.....I'm gonna have to check some other sites I guess and see what's up. Still not opening up the wmv file though...... Maybe I had something not updated right. First time it's worked. Right on!!!

deach

#74 Post by deach »

Ok I found out the reason my box wouldn't play WMV files was it was using VLC to open the thing and for whatever the reason that wasn't working correctly. (read not at all).......It appears I'm gonna have to test this browser further. I'm not sure about the speed on my faster debian box but, it' appears to be a little faster and lighter weight on my Old Inspiron 4000 laptop running slackware and only 600 mhz. So as it stands now, it's all working and I'm posting on it here now.

@nadir......Thanks buddy you made me keep at it ... :D

Jackiebrown

#75 Post by Jackiebrown »

AdrianTM wrote:Why should I trust "frickelplatz" more than Google? Is there a straight way to compile the Chromium sources to test frickelplatz's binaries?
I am pretty sure you were not replying to me but I found frickelplatz's packages to be more up-to-date. I find chromium to load pages (and to open itself) much faster than iceweasel and I have never had one tab crash the whole browser which I have had regualary with iceweasel even with no extensions. Adding no-scrip to iceweasel helped reduce (maybe even eliminate) the crashes.

I trust the sidux devolpers as much a I trust anyone I don't personally know. And my respect for them went up when they made it clear they did not support that hack upgrade script that served only to scare new users against using apt.

Tadeas

#76 Post by Tadeas »

Well, I've tried the beta (like everybody probably) and I'm not impressed at all. The speed of loading pages might be slightly better than Iceweasel's, however it seems much slower than Konqueror (KHTML) to me and it often freezes the loading of a page for up to a second what makes it pretty slow and laggy - this happens with about every second or third page, even those that have already been visited so the images and all should be cached...
So for now, no, thanks. I'll definitely stay with Konqueror and Iceweasel where there are compatibility problems.
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

AdrianTM

#77 Post by AdrianTM »

deach wrote:Ok I found out the reason my box wouldn't play WMV files was it was using VLC to open the thing and for whatever the reason that wasn't working correctly. (read not at all).......It appears I'm gonna have to test this browser further. I'm not sure about the speed on my faster debian box but, it' appears to be a little faster and lighter weight on my Old Inspiron 4000 laptop running slackware and only 600 mhz. So as it stands now, it's all working and I'm posting on it here now.

I'm sorry that I accused you of FUD, but that's how it looked like to me, I haven't had any such problems with Chrome and you suddenly claimed that many sites don't work, video doesn't work, etc. I'm glad you solved your problems.

BTW, couple of additional things that I enjoy about Chrome, when I upgrade it I don't have problems with extensions stop working (even though this is experimental and it attention me that extension might stop working) also when I try new extension I don't need to restart the browser (like you know what browser) extensions just work.

mojoman

#78 Post by mojoman »

I've just skimmed this thread so if this has been whined about already, then I'm sorry.

Fonts. Old gripe though I must say I myself rarely have a problem with fonts. I love the way Iceweasel (or any other browser I have installed such as Konqueror, Opera and Midori) renders my fonts. Fact is that just about any program I have installed renders fonts somewhere between beautiful and at least acceptable. Yuk! Horrible is the only word I can think of. I changed the fonts to the setting I have in iceweasel but that didn't do any good.

What do you guys think? Is chrome rendering fonts nicely for you?
/mojoman
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

sir fer

#79 Post by sir fer »

SRWare Iron (for linux) renders very nicely...YMMV with chrome betas tho

deach

#80 Post by deach »

AdrianTM wrote:
deach wrote:Ok I found out the reason my box wouldn't play WMV files was it was using VLC to open the thing and for whatever the reason that wasn't working correctly. (read not at all).......It appears I'm gonna have to test this browser further. I'm not sure about the speed on my faster debian box but, it' appears to be a little faster and lighter weight on my Old Inspiron 4000 laptop running slackware and only 600 mhz. So as it stands now, it's all working and I'm posting on it here now.

I'm sorry that I accused you of FUD, but that's how it looked like to me, I haven't had any such problems with Chrome and you suddenly claimed that many sites don't work, video doesn't work, etc. I'm glad you solved your problems.

BTW, couple of additional things that I enjoy about Chrome, when I upgrade it I don't have problems with extensions stop working (even though this is experimental and it attention me that extension might stop working) also when I try new extension I don't need to restart the browser (like you know what browser) extensions just work.
Thanks. I was honestly having problems with it. Interestingly enough, I just installed it in my old slackware laptop and it's working better there (not faster but better) than on my sid box. (which is much faster). I guess I'll keep digging to try to make it work right. Honestly I like it so far, now that I've got it working better. thanks for the tips!!