Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby Tadeas » 2010-01-12 10:48

Well, I've tried the beta (like everybody probably) and I'm not impressed at all. The speed of loading pages might be slightly better than Iceweasel's, however it seems much slower than Konqueror (KHTML) to me and it often freezes the loading of a page for up to a second what makes it pretty slow and laggy - this happens with about every second or third page, even those that have already been visited so the images and all should be cached...
So for now, no, thanks. I'll definitely stay with Konqueror and Iceweasel where there are compatibility problems.
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.
User avatar
Tadeas
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: 2008-09-22 09:11
Location: Prague

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby AdrianTM » 2010-01-12 16:49

deach wrote:Ok I found out the reason my box wouldn't play WMV files was it was using VLC to open the thing and for whatever the reason that wasn't working correctly. (read not at all).......It appears I'm gonna have to test this browser further. I'm not sure about the speed on my faster debian box but, it' appears to be a little faster and lighter weight on my Old Inspiron 4000 laptop running slackware and only 600 mhz. So as it stands now, it's all working and I'm posting on it here now.

@nadir......Thanks buddy you made me keep at it ... :D

I'm sorry that I accused you of FUD, but that's how it looked like to me, I haven't had any such problems with Chrome and you suddenly claimed that many sites don't work, video doesn't work, etc. I'm glad you solved your problems.

BTW, couple of additional things that I enjoy about Chrome, when I upgrade it I don't have problems with extensions stop working (even though this is experimental and it attention me that extension might stop working) also when I try new extension I don't need to restart the browser (like you know what browser) extensions just work.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.
User avatar
AdrianTM
 
Posts: 2520
Joined: 2004-09-19 01:08

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby mojoman » 2010-01-12 21:11

I've just skimmed this thread so if this has been whined about already, then I'm sorry.

Fonts. Old gripe though I must say I myself rarely have a problem with fonts. I love the way Iceweasel (or any other browser I have installed such as Konqueror, Opera and Midori) renders my fonts. Fact is that just about any program I have installed renders fonts somewhere between beautiful and at least acceptable. Yuk! Horrible is the only word I can think of. I changed the fonts to the setting I have in iceweasel but that didn't do any good.

What do you guys think? Is chrome rendering fonts nicely for you?
/mojoman
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
User avatar
mojoman
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 2006-10-15 18:43
Location: A better place...

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby sir fer » 2010-01-12 21:48

SRWare Iron (for linux) renders very nicely...YMMV with chrome betas tho
sir fer
 
Posts: 923
Joined: 2008-09-10 18:49
Location: Auckland

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby deach » 2010-01-13 00:15

AdrianTM wrote:
deach wrote:Ok I found out the reason my box wouldn't play WMV files was it was using VLC to open the thing and for whatever the reason that wasn't working correctly. (read not at all).......It appears I'm gonna have to test this browser further. I'm not sure about the speed on my faster debian box but, it' appears to be a little faster and lighter weight on my Old Inspiron 4000 laptop running slackware and only 600 mhz. So as it stands now, it's all working and I'm posting on it here now.

@nadir......Thanks buddy you made me keep at it ... :D

I'm sorry that I accused you of FUD, but that's how it looked like to me, I haven't had any such problems with Chrome and you suddenly claimed that many sites don't work, video doesn't work, etc. I'm glad you solved your problems.

BTW, couple of additional things that I enjoy about Chrome, when I upgrade it I don't have problems with extensions stop working (even though this is experimental and it attention me that extension might stop working) also when I try new extension I don't need to restart the browser (like you know what browser) extensions just work.


Thanks. I was honestly having problems with it. Interestingly enough, I just installed it in my old slackware laptop and it's working better there (not faster but better) than on my sid box. (which is much faster). I guess I'll keep digging to try to make it work right. Honestly I like it so far, now that I've got it working better. thanks for the tips!!
deach
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 2009-02-21 14:21

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby m_l » 2010-01-13 00:55

mojoman wrote:I've just skimmed this thread so if this has been whined about already, then I'm sorry.

Fonts. Old gripe though I must say I myself rarely have a problem with fonts. I love the way Iceweasel (or any other browser I have installed such as Konqueror, Opera and Midori) renders my fonts. Fact is that just about any program I have installed renders fonts somewhere between beautiful and at least acceptable. Yuk! Horrible is the only word I can think of. I changed the fonts to the setting I have in iceweasel but that didn't do any good.

What do you guys think? Is chrome rendering fonts nicely for you?
/mojoman


I too had problems with font rendering in Google Chrome. Tried Iceweasel's settings and that did not help. So I will stick with Iceweasel.
User avatar
m_l
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 2008-04-27 11:28

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby justaguynpc » 2010-01-13 01:31

jackiebrown:I trust the sidux devolpers as much a I trust anyone I don't personally know. And my respect for them went up when they made it clear they did not support that hack upgrade script that served only to scare new users against using apt.

I suppose you are referring to the smxi script? Just curious, what is it about smxi you don't like? I use it, but am not really aware of any concrete negative influences it may have on sidux. To be fair, I walked away from the whole issue because I really didn't understand the bone of contention sidux had with h2 or his script, would you mind educating me ........ ?

BTW, I am unable to manage quicktime playback on this machine, never have, where should I look to start troubleshooting that? I know this may not be the correct forum, but I am using chromium atm without any other problems. I am sure the quicktime issue is my ignorance, I just hadn't been worried enough to ask.............. I have unstable versions of libquicktime1 and quicktime-X11utils installed.

Thanks
debian sid
User avatar
justaguynpc
 
Posts: 53
Joined: 2007-06-12 23:59
Location: Muskoka, ON, Canada

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby craigevil » 2010-01-13 04:48

justaguynpc wrote:jackiebrown:I trust the sidux devolpers as much a I trust anyone I don't personally know. And my respect for them went up when they made it clear they did not support that hack upgrade script that served only to scare new users against using apt.

I suppose you are referring to the smxi script? Just curious, what is it about smxi you don't like? I use it, but am not really aware of any concrete negative influences it may have on sidux. To be fair, I walked away from the whole issue because I really didn't understand the bone of contention sidux had with h2 or his script, would you mind educating me ........ ?

BTW, I am unable to manage quicktime playback on this machine, never have, where should I look to start troubleshooting that? I know this may not be the correct forum, but I am using chromium atm without any other problems. I am sure the quicktime issue is my ignorance, I just hadn't been worried enough to ask.............. I have unstable versions of libquicktime1 and quicktime-X11utils installed.

Thanks

gecko-mediaplayer should play quicktime .
mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 0.9.8

Filename /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.so
Plugin Version:
Plugin Description: Gecko Media Player 0.9.8
Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
$ apt-cache policy gecko-mediaplayer
gecko-mediaplayer:
Installed: 0.9.8-1
Candidate: 0.9.8-1
Version table:
*** 0.9.8-1 0
990 http://ftp.debian.org sid/main Packages


BTW smxi rocks. sidux probably wouldn't even exist without it. Or if it did it would be nothing but a bunch of uber geeks using it. But then again considering how it has fallen on distrowatch and that the #sidux channel rarely has more than 80ppl says alot. bad enough they shun aptitude.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
User avatar
craigevil
 
Posts: 5192
Joined: 2006-09-17 03:17
Location: Oz

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby Jackiebrown » 2010-01-13 06:54

smxi script is a frontend for apt-get usefull to the type of people that would press y to whatever apt-get said without reading.

It helps breed ignoranent users.

I agree with craig about aptitude. I rarley use apt-get anymore. aptitude really does better with dependency resolving for me.
User avatar
Jackiebrown
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: 2007-01-02 04:46
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby dbbolton » 2010-01-13 16:03

Jackiebrown wrote:smxi script is a frontend for apt-get usefull to the type of people that would press y to whatever apt-get said without reading.


So why not just use the -y option
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
User avatar
dbbolton
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: 2007-06-20 08:17
Location: Iapetus

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby justaguynpc » 2010-01-13 16:39

Thanks craigevil for the gecko-mediaplayer hint, up and running in iceweasel, I guess I was expecting too much to have it work in chromium. I will have to do some research into chrome/chromium plugins, if they in fact exist.

I really don't care for the mplayer/gtk look in KDE, so I installed kmplayer (seems kplayer is depreciated). Now I "see" mplayer with both the gtk AND the kmplayer look. I thought about toying around with gtk-qt-engine, while having read your howto, seems a little too "kloodgy" for something as small as appearance to worry about at this stage of the game.

Appreciate it!
debian sid
User avatar
justaguynpc
 
Posts: 53
Joined: 2007-06-12 23:59
Location: Muskoka, ON, Canada

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby Jackiebrown » 2010-01-15 12:31

dbbolton wrote:
Jackiebrown wrote:smxi script is a frontend for apt-get usefull to the type of people that would press y to whatever apt-get said without reading.


So why not just use the -y option

They would still have to read :wink:

I think it pushes bad habit and has kept a lot of sidux users with the old windows type mentality (to scared to administer their own machines) which is why a lot of users left sidux simply for the devs officially stating they did not support that script.

On topic, I hope Chrome gets noscript added soon but apparently it will require new calls to the extension api so that may be a while off. (http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=1676)

I wonder if Mozilla extensions will still be able to do this one they loose some access to modify the browser... http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 01409.html
User avatar
Jackiebrown
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: 2007-01-02 04:46
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby milomak » 2010-01-15 20:05

have they added the ability yet of blocking cookies except those you have in a whitelist?
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 1763
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby craigevil » 2010-01-18 22:00

Holy cow batman it works. Seems importing Firefox settings kills it. Might be my huge bookmakrs list.
chromium-browser:
Installed: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0
Candidate: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
User avatar
craigevil
 
Posts: 5192
Joined: 2006-09-17 03:17
Location: Oz

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Postby Jackiebrown » 2010-01-19 15:44

craigevil wrote:Holy cow batman it works. Seems importing Firefox settings kills it. Might be my huge bookmakrs list.
chromium-browser:
Installed: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0
Candidate: 4.0.300.0~svn20100116r36447-0

It is not your bookmark. It kills my broweser to. I saved it as a html file and opened it as a web page and manually recreated a my bookmarks (at least the ones that I frequent the most.)

Firefox has the same problem for me when trying to import html saved bookmarks - except that it doesn't crash... It doesn't actually import anything, either. Opera and Konqueror seem to be the best at importing bookmarks.
User avatar
Jackiebrown
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: 2007-01-02 04:46
Location: San Antonio, TX

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

fashionable