Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
AdrianTM

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

#31 Post by AdrianTM »

refracta wrote:soylent green is people!
Look what you did, you ruined the move for me.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

mdevour

#32 Post by mdevour »

refracta wrote:...How cool would it be to go to the mall, after searching online for cashmere sweater, and as soon as we walk in the first display is automatically changed to show some cashmere sweaters and it actually speaks to us by name and lets us know that our size is in stock and that our bank balance is sufficient for the purchase and we would look lovely in the blue and grey sweater. Simply awesome.
Ahh, Minority Report. Unsettling movie, indeed. All hell breaks loose when you can't access the system any more. Give me a hand, please? Maybe an eye? :mrgreen:

Another interesting book to read in the context of this thread: The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. It's a novel with a strong feminist agenda, which will not be to some people's tastes, but along the way it offers a rather vivid rendering of the consequences of a completely "cashless society" as part of the setting for the plot.

Mike D.

Coco

#33 Post by Coco »

So will any version of google chrome be available from the debian repos? I really want to install chrome but I absolutely refuse to install anything outside the official repos (I'm on squeeze) ! :P
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

llivv

#34 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

craigevil

#35 Post by craigevil »

Coco wrote:So will any version of google chrome be available from the debian repos? I really want to install chrome but I absolutely refuse to install anything outside the official repos (I'm on squeeze) ! :P
probably never. So no Opera, Skype, or any packages from debian-multimedia.org?
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

sir fer

#36 Post by sir fer »

There's always SRWare Iron for those with privacy concerns. I'm using it now but it only seems to work OOTB in sid, but as stated sometime ago it could be pebcak on my part, but you can d/l Iron un-tar it and it runs in its own folder like firefox in debian.

I think it was **** Gregory who said that the movies show us 3 things...what "they" have done, what "they" are doing and what "they" plan to do. From this POV, the movies certainly make a lot more sense.

llivv

#37 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

AdrianTM

#38 Post by AdrianTM »

craigevil wrote:
Coco wrote:So will any version of google chrome be available from the debian repos? I really want to install chrome but I absolutely refuse to install anything outside the official repos (I'm on squeeze) ! :P
Never say never, most likely is not going to be Google Chrome, but there's probably nothing wrong with Chromium from Debian rules point of view. It's also ne special need people can install it from here: http://www.google.com/chrome

Coco

#39 Post by Coco »

craigevil wrote:
Coco wrote: So no Opera, Skype, or any packages from debian-multimedia.org?
Nope! I try to keep proprietary stuff out!
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#40 Post by oswaldkelso »

craigevil wrote:

Not strictly correct. While debian-multimedia does not respect the normal, main, contrib, and non-free rules. It's a 3rd party site. There is free software in there, you just have to be picky as to what you install. It contains many applications/libs with patent concerns that are specific to the USA where Debian is based, But are free software as far as the GNU 4 freedoms. That same software maybe perfectly legal in another country. Like Finland. Mplayer is a prime example of free software in debian-multimedia but with patent concerns in the USA.
Last edited by oswaldkelso on 2009-12-31 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

craigevil

#41 Post by craigevil »

llivv wrote:At the same time I found Iron a week or two ago I also found this thing Uzbl

I still don't really know what it is yet, But I try to play with it once or twice a week.
it's in main too
Uzbl - web interface tools which adhere to the unix philosophy. - http://www.uzbl.org/

IS pretty coool once you get the hang of the command. Light weight, fast and since it uses webkit, plugins like flash work.
Of course it is definitely a browser for geeks. It is one of those nifty tools like surfraw.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

dbbolton

#42 Post by dbbolton »

craigevil wrote:
llivv wrote:At the same time I found Iron a week or two ago I also found this thing Uzbl

I still don't really know what it is yet, But I try to play with it once or twice a week.
it's in main too
Uzbl - web interface tools which adhere to the unix philosophy. - http://www.uzbl.org/

IS pretty coool once you get the hang of the command. Light weight, fast and since it uses webkit, plugins like flash work.
Of course it is definitely a browser for geeks. It is one of those nifty tools like surfraw.
Installing from sid atm
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

dbbolton

#43 Post by dbbolton »

I owe livv and craigevil a big "thank you". I am loving uzbl so far.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

Serenity

#44 Post by Serenity »

Well, I've finally given it a try. That's the official version, which I'm happy enough with for now (I was happy with Mozilla's official builds of Firefox for a long time, this isn't really much different), though I've noticed some things that I immediately don't like. Also, yes, 7/b/ is my homepage (the screenshot chosen appears to be as worksafe as /b/ can possible be). 4/b/ is dead to me.

1) The tab bar. This is the biggest issue, and I spotted it as soon as the 'tabs on top' thing was suggested. I have an auto-hiding panel at the top of my screen, in the centre, taking up about 80% of the screen width. If I have tabs right at the top of the screen while the browser is maximized (and it is maximized, all the time), then I keep floating the panel by mistake. I've partially solved this by re-enabling the title bar (I'll probably leave that there) but a more permanent solution would be to place the tab bar underneath the location bar, the location bar being rarely used enough these days that it wouldn't be nearly as annoying. Unfortunately, I see no way of doing this right now.

2) You can see two buttons to the right of the location bar, which I will call Page Control and Chrome Control. There's also a button to the right of the bookmarks bar, which I will call Other Bookmarks. To my mind, these are all in the wrong place. Putting them on the right means the menus that they spawn sub-menus to the left of the original, unlike every other menu on my system. I would effectively 'flip' these, placing all of these buttons on the right. The location bar line would thus be Chrome Control, Page Control, Back, Forward, Refresh (and Home if present), then the location bar itself. The bookmarks bar line would start with Other Bookmarks, then have the bookmarks toolbar. Again, I see no way of doing this right now.

3) I can get rid of the 'Classic Theme' (which I considered to be ugly and hard to use) in favour of my default GTK+ theme, but it seems the scroll bar and page widgets use Chrome's theme no matter what. This has some practical advantages for the page widgets, but I don't see why the scroll bar must follow, and they both look ugly next to my GTK+ theme anyway. Also, the scroll bar doesn't do smooth scrolling and has no scroll buttons (Google may think these are a bad idea, but I'd like a say in the matter too thank you very much).

Aside from these three issues (which may be solvable in ways that I haven't found yet), the browser does seem promising though. It'd be nice to see Chromium or some other derivative in Debian someday.

Jackiebrown

#45 Post by Jackiebrown »

One of the sidux guys packages the open source version

deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

I have been using it for the past few weeks. I find it faster than firefox and more stable. It does use more memory though since each tab uses it's own process. The nice side of that, though, is that I have never had 1 tab crash my browser which happened many times in firefox.

Order of browser use currently for me is:
Chroumium (96%)
Konqueror (3%) (Konquerer remembers secure passwords for me - like my banking and work email so I use it when I am feeling lazy)
Iceweasel (1%) (Just to grab some of my bookmarks)

justaguynpc

#46 Post by justaguynpc »

Jackiebrown wrote:
One of the sidux guys packages the open source version

deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

I have been using it for the past few weeks. I find it faster than firefox and more stable. It does use more memory though since each tab uses it's own process. The nice side of that, though, is that I have never had 1 tab crash my browser which happened many times in firefox.

Order of browser use currently for me is:
Chroumium (96%)
Konqueror (3%) (Konquerer remembers secure passwords for me - like my banking and work email so I use it when I am feeling lazy)
Iceweasel (1%) (Just to grab some of my bookmarks)
I agree with jackiebrown. I have been using the "frickelplatz" chromium for probably just as long. Having had chrome installed left me with a creepy feeling, open-source gets to be a habit .........
debian sid

AdrianTM

#47 Post by AdrianTM »

Why should I trust "frickelplatz" more than Google? Is there a straight way to compile the Chromium sources to test frickelplatz's binaries?

My understanding is that Google Chrome is pretty much Chromium with the Google logo and name added, pretty much like Firefox vs. Iceweasel, but I might be wrong... in any case I trust Google enough, and if they squander my trust and screw up their customers at least there's somebody who has lots of money to be sued, not so with some quasi-anonymous packager on the internet...

craigevil

#48 Post by craigevil »

AdrianTM wrote:Why should I trust "frickelplatz" more than Google? Is there a straight way to compile the Chromium sources to test frickelplatz's binaries?

My understanding is that Google Chrome is pretty much Chromium with the Google logo and name added, pretty much like Firefox vs. Iceweasel, but I might be wrong... in any case I trust Google enough, and if they squander my trust and screw up their customers at least there's somebody who has lots of money to be sued, not so with some quasi-anonymous packager on the internet...
well we all know the sidux devs are down right nuts:
http://www.sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic ... hrome.html
Any "debian"-package touching /etc/apt/ can be considered malware, and should be avoided.
There is also really no reason to use the packages from Google, as towo's Chromium packages are well done and always up to date. The deal is that you have to trust towo, instead of Google - well, my personal choice is clear here Wink.
Greetings,
Chris
God forbid Google, Opera add a line to your sources.list so that the package stays updated. One more instance of them being nuts just like their stance on smxi and people that use Gnome or any other package they refuse to support even if it may be in "official" Debian repos.
From the Google Chrome page:
Note: Installing Google Chrome will add the Google repository so your system will automatically keep Google Chrome up to date. If you don't want Google's repository, do "sudo touch /etc/default/google-chrome" before installing the package.

Not like it doesn't warn you.

I am with Adrian on this one, better to trust Google than some hack.
My Giant Sources.list

Qew

#49 Post by Qew »

craigevil wrote:well we all know the sidux devs are down right nuts:
Any "debian"-package touching /etc/apt/ can be considered malware, and should be avoided.
There is also really no reason to use the packages from Google, as towo's Chromium packages are well done and always up to date. The deal is that you have to trust towo, instead of Google - well, my personal choice is clear here Wink.
Greetings,
Chris
God forbid Google, Opera add a line to your sources.list so that the package stays updated.
Just a minor correction for correction's sake: Opera doesn't touch the sources.list file, it adds a file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory. Yeah, similar outcome, but at least it's not directly interfering with the sources.list file. If it sees that you do have an entry in sources.list for its repository (which had to be manually added), then it won't create the file in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory.

craigevil

#50 Post by craigevil »

Qew wrote:
craigevil wrote:well we all know the sidux devs are down right nuts:
Greetings,
Chris
God forbid Google, Opera add a line to your sources.list so that the package stays updated.
Just a minor correction for correction's sake: Opera doesn't touch the sources.list file, it adds a file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory. Yeah, similar outcome, but at least it's not directly interfering with the sources.list file. If it sees that you do have an entry in sources.list for its repository (which had to be manually added), then it won't create the file in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory.
Yeah thats the same place Google puts its repo.
My Giant Sources.list