Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
justaguynpc

Re: Google Chrome is go for beta on Linux!

#46 Post by justaguynpc »

Jackiebrown wrote:
Coco wrote:So will any version of google chrome be available from the debian repos? I really want to install chrome but I absolutely refuse to install anything outside the official repos (I'm on squeeze) ! :P
One of the sidux guys packages the open source version

deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

I have been using it for the past few weeks. I find it faster than firefox and more stable. It does use more memory though since each tab uses it's own process. The nice side of that, though, is that I have never had 1 tab crash my browser which happened many times in firefox.

Order of browser use currently for me is:
Chroumium (96%)
Konqueror (3%) (Konquerer remembers secure passwords for me - like my banking and work email so I use it when I am feeling lazy)
Iceweasel (1%) (Just to grab some of my bookmarks)
I agree with jackiebrown. I have been using the "frickelplatz" chromium for probably just as long. Having had chrome installed left me with a creepy feeling, open-source gets to be a habit .........
debian sid

AdrianTM

#47 Post by AdrianTM »

Why should I trust "frickelplatz" more than Google? Is there a straight way to compile the Chromium sources to test frickelplatz's binaries?

My understanding is that Google Chrome is pretty much Chromium with the Google logo and name added, pretty much like Firefox vs. Iceweasel, but I might be wrong... in any case I trust Google enough, and if they squander my trust and screw up their customers at least there's somebody who has lots of money to be sued, not so with some quasi-anonymous packager on the internet...
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

craigevil

#48 Post by craigevil »

AdrianTM wrote:Why should I trust "frickelplatz" more than Google? Is there a straight way to compile the Chromium sources to test frickelplatz's binaries?

My understanding is that Google Chrome is pretty much Chromium with the Google logo and name added, pretty much like Firefox vs. Iceweasel, but I might be wrong... in any case I trust Google enough, and if they squander my trust and screw up their customers at least there's somebody who has lots of money to be sued, not so with some quasi-anonymous packager on the internet...
well we all know the sidux devs are down right nuts:
http://www.sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic ... hrome.html
Any "debian"-package touching /etc/apt/ can be considered malware, and should be avoided.
There is also really no reason to use the packages from Google, as towo's Chromium packages are well done and always up to date. The deal is that you have to trust towo, instead of Google - well, my personal choice is clear here Wink.
Greetings,
Chris
God forbid Google, Opera add a line to your sources.list so that the package stays updated. One more instance of them being nuts just like their stance on smxi and people that use Gnome or any other package they refuse to support even if it may be in "official" Debian repos.
From the Google Chrome page:
Note: Installing Google Chrome will add the Google repository so your system will automatically keep Google Chrome up to date. If you don't want Google's repository, do "sudo touch /etc/default/google-chrome" before installing the package.

Not like it doesn't warn you.

I am with Adrian on this one, better to trust Google than some hack.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Qew

#49 Post by Qew »

craigevil wrote:well we all know the sidux devs are down right nuts:
Any "debian"-package touching /etc/apt/ can be considered malware, and should be avoided.
There is also really no reason to use the packages from Google, as towo's Chromium packages are well done and always up to date. The deal is that you have to trust towo, instead of Google - well, my personal choice is clear here Wink.
Greetings,
Chris
God forbid Google, Opera add a line to your sources.list so that the package stays updated.
Just a minor correction for correction's sake: Opera doesn't touch the sources.list file, it adds a file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory. Yeah, similar outcome, but at least it's not directly interfering with the sources.list file. If it sees that you do have an entry in sources.list for its repository (which had to be manually added), then it won't create the file in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory.

craigevil

#50 Post by craigevil »

Qew wrote:
craigevil wrote:well we all know the sidux devs are down right nuts:
Greetings,
Chris
God forbid Google, Opera add a line to your sources.list so that the package stays updated.
Just a minor correction for correction's sake: Opera doesn't touch the sources.list file, it adds a file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory. Yeah, similar outcome, but at least it's not directly interfering with the sources.list file. If it sees that you do have an entry in sources.list for its repository (which had to be manually added), then it won't create the file in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory.
Yeah thats the same place Google puts its repo.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

justaguynpc

#51 Post by justaguynpc »

craigevil writes: "I am with Adrian on this one, better to trust Google than some hack."

Not that it makes any difference what software people use, or their reasons for using it, I choose to use what I do because it works for me. I do find it a little confusing though, craigevil, that your opinion of sidux developers, and now the open-source chromium package are at odds with the statement you made earlier (above).

After reviewing your Giant Debian sources.list the sidux repository and the frickelplatz repository for chromium are both found there.

Can you clarify for those users who may not understand your philosophy?

Thanks
debian sid

llivv

#52 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

craigevil

#53 Post by craigevil »

justaguynpc wrote:craigevil writes: "I am with Adrian on this one, better to trust Google than some hack."

Not that it makes any difference what software people use, or their reasons for using it, I choose to use what I do because it works for me. I do find it a little confusing though, craigevil, that your opinion of sidux developers, and now the open-source chromium package are at odds with the statement you made earlier (above).

After reviewing your Giant Debian sources.list the sidux repository and the frickelplatz repository for chromium are both found there.

Can you clarify for those users who may not understand your philosophy?

Thanks
The Giant sources.list is just a place I put all of the repos that have debian packages that I come across. I do have a sidux kernel along with the liquorix installed simply because I haven't been able to get a Debian kernel to boot since 2.6.26.

sidux itself is a good distro, it is just the attitude of some of the devs I do not agree with.
I have no issue with using chromium over chrome, I would rather trust Google. use what works for you. I gave up on chrome it is slower than Firefox and way slower than Uzbl for me.
My Giant Sources.list

sir fer

#54 Post by sir fer »

That explains why Opera won't leave my computer alone even when I uninstall and remove it from the sources.list

Also explains why I don't use opera too..can't stand nuisance-ware.

dbbolton

#55 Post by dbbolton »

sir fer wrote:That explains why Opera won't leave my computer alone even when I uninstall and remove it from the sources.list

Also explains why I don't use opera too..can't stand nuisance-ware.
I remember getting into an argument about that exact issue. I think I was ultimately called paranoid (or maybe I imagined it).
Last edited by dbbolton on 2010-01-10 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

deach

#56 Post by deach »

ok well after all the fuss about this, has anybody actually gotten this browser to "FULLY" work. Ie play movies in it, javascript, (national weather service still uses that here) and and not crash every few minutes? Just curious. I have to be totally honest here, my experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth for either of the "chrome" browsers.

AdrianTM

#57 Post by AdrianTM »

deach wrote:ok well after all the fuss about this, has anybody actually gotten this browser to "FULLY" work. Ie play movies in it, javascript, (national weather service still uses that here) and and not crash every few minutes? Just curious. I have to be totally honest here, my experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth for either of the "chrome" browsers.
I don't know what you are talking about, I'm using unstable version not even the beta and never saw a crash, and it plays Flash, Java (and this on a 64 bit system) just fine.

craigevil

#58 Post by craigevil »

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome-unstable
google-chrome-unstable:
Installed: 4.0.288.1-r35555
Candidate: 4.0.288.1-r35555
Version table:
*** 4.0.288.1-r35555 0
500 http://dl.google.com stable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

works ok, but I find it is slower than Firefox and Uzbl.
These days I am using Uzbl like 99% of the time, and Firefox the other 1% for the odd site that doesn't work quite right with Uzbl like gmail.
My Giant Sources.list

deach

#59 Post by deach »

AdrianTM wrote:
deach wrote:ok well after all the fuss about this, has anybody actually gotten this browser to "FULLY" work. Ie play movies in it, javascript, (national weather service still uses that here) and and not crash every few minutes? Just curious. I have to be totally honest here, my experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth for either of the "chrome" browsers.
I don't know what you are talking about, I'm using unstable version not even the beta and never saw a crash, and it plays Flash, Java (and this on a 64 bit system) just fine.
I just tried to use it to come here and check the forums and after trying 4 times to open it, I'm still not getting it to open. At any rate ya flash maybe the only thing it does right. I'm glad you're having good luck with it though. I'm runing 32 bit here and maybe that's the difference who knows. Even CraigE who has it isn't using it too much I see. Honestly firefox is just as fast here, and for a web kit to check some sites I do Arora works just fine. Good luck with it though. I think I'm gonna have to check uzbl out.

Bro.Tiag

#60 Post by Bro.Tiag »

craigevil wrote:These days I am using Uzbl like 99% of the time, and Firefox the other 1% for the odd site that doesn't work quite right with Uzbl like gmail.
"bout the only think I've had trouble w/ uzbl has been on-line email accounts. Some kind of a pop-up needed or some such.

Cheers

nadir

#61 Post by nadir »

not a friend of them, but it works out of box:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1473 ... shotsd.png
Last edited by nadir on 2010-01-10 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Telemachus

#62 Post by Telemachus »

My advice: don't go to YouTube (or anywhere else with Flash-wrapped videos) without installing this extension for Chrome. It replaces the Flash wrapper with an HTML5 wrapper. (More gooder, less CPU, less crashing.)
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

AdrianTM

#63 Post by AdrianTM »

Telemachus wrote:My advice: don't go to YouTube (or anywhere else with Flash-wrapped videos) without installing this extension for Chrome. It replaces the Flash wrapper with an HTML5 wrapper. (More gooder, less CPU, less crashing.)
That's interesting, but for some reasons I don't get sound in "native player", I don't even know what's that... I guess mplayer...
(also I don't see much reduction in CPU usage)

EDIT: Hmm, sounds started to work... maybe it needed to reload... but the image is pretty bad and I can't see an option for full screen.

refracta

#64 Post by refracta »

I have about gave up on trying other browsers....they all seem about the same....

dbbolton

#65 Post by dbbolton »

refracta wrote:I have about gave up on trying other browsers....they all seem about the same....
Now wait just a damn minute. I thought hate was the derangement.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.