Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble in the land of sidux

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Four23619

Re: Trouble in the land of sidux

#16 Post by Four23619 »

nadir wrote:
What i don't like at the forum is the general hostility. Too much of fanboyism too.
Yup. I haven't been around here on the Debian forums much or for very long, but I must say, it's a far, far better place than the Ubuntu forums or sidux forums. Much, much better by far. The amount of rubbish posted on the Ubuntu and sidux forums.... yuck, not to mention the general unfriendliness and rudeness towards anything they don't agree with. Again, Debian forums are by far better and probably the best of all the Linux forums. Go into any section on these forums and find just about every single thread to be useful and interesting, as well as friendly. The same cannot be said for sidux forums, and Ubuntu forums.

Again, Debian all the way, even the forums are better.
Registered Linux User #423619

jheaton5

#17 Post by jheaton5 »

julian67 wrote:Who cares if the install takes 5 minutes or 25 or 105? Who is installing often enough that it matters? Oh yeah...Sidux users with broken OS :D
I have tried Sidux twice in the past year. I returned to Debian sid both times because the system crashed. And since I was using aptitude instead of apt-get, I didn't dare post on the forum. :roll:
debian sid

nadir

#18 Post by nadir »

jheaton5 wrote:
julian67 wrote:Who cares if the install takes 5 minutes or 25 or 105? Who is installing often enough that it matters? Oh yeah...Sidux users with broken OS :D
I have tried Sidux twice in the past year. I returned to Debian sid both times because the system crashed. And since I was using aptitude instead of apt-get, I didn't dare post on the forum. :roll:
But then you missed the biggest pleasure. Ok, i will give you a hand here:
"You did it wrong, plain wrong. You do it wrong. You will do it wrong. You are nothing, the ground we walk upon. WE know whats the best for you."
You now can call yourself a real sidux user.
:mrgreen:

btw: i like the OS itself, but as a live, as a installation its too touchy and crashes too fast (for me, but without doing anything wrong: aptitude, gnome, synaptic or upgrading from X i didn't do. Posting over there seems useless. The wiki is good.)
Bit of a pity they bork it with their attitude.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

jheaton5

#19 Post by jheaton5 »

@nadir: Thanks so much. I feel enormously better now. :mrgreen:
debian sid

smallchange

#20 Post by smallchange »

Four23619 wrote:
nadir wrote:
What i don't like at the forum is the general hostility. Too much of fanboyism too.
Yup. I haven't been around here on the Debian forums much or for very long, but I must say, it's a far, far better place than the Ubuntu forums or sidux forums. Much, much better by far. The amount of rubbish posted on the Ubuntu and sidux forums.... yuck, not to mention the general unfriendliness and rudeness towards anything they don't agree with. Again, Debian forums are by far better and probably the best of all the Linux forums. Go into any section on these forums and find just about every single thread to be useful and interesting, as well as friendly. The same cannot be said for sidux forums, and Ubuntu forums.

Again, Debian all the way, even the forums are better.
Don't say that too loudly. We have a reputation for being elitist pricks that know everything and will not share it with anyone else. That helps keep the riffraff out. Many more posts like this and we will start to look like the Ubuntu forum.:)

snowpine

#21 Post by snowpine »

I'm not privy to all the details, however there's nothing wrong in my opinion with saying "we don't support that, it is not recommended, please don't tell other users of our official support forums they should do it too, ps read the manual." That's great if you want to use aptitude in sidux, but they don't want you talking about it on their forums, and I respect that.

Most forums have certain "taboo" topics, in UbuntuForums for example you can't talk about root logins or politics (the above comments about Germans would certainly get censored over there). Debian Forums is moderated with a lighter touch than most. :)

MeanDean

#22 Post by MeanDean »

so I guess sidux isn't sid :lol:

carlos.fonke

#23 Post by carlos.fonke »

MeanDean wrote:so I guess sidux isn't sid :lol:
I installed sidux once or twice a couple of years ago. It was impressive, especially the quick installation.

Or so I thought until I read rick's characterization of it as a distro for newbies who wanted to feel like power users. Ouch, but I respected his opinion and I never considered using it again.
debian testing | 64-bit || debian testing | 32-bit

nadir

#24 Post by nadir »

I'm not privy to all the details,
For starters (sounds like you know it):
http://sidux.com/index.php?module=Wikula&tag=DisasterEN
So we got: gnome, aptitude,synaptic,localpurge...
Perhaps we should set up some taboos too. Mhhhh... gimp ok? rythmbox sucks too...tiling wm's in general give me the creeps.

Please? I must have missed it.

People who want to run Sid should be able to decide it on their own. People who want to run anything should be able to, btw.
But to say: "I am running sid(ux)" and needing a custodian (nany, baby-sitter) ... a bit odd, no?
Having fun, playing with the stuff out there, experiments, trying, testing, ...? "You are not allowed to! ".
Allowed? :lol:

PS: example: the idea of adding enlightenment, including a great how-to, came up a while ago. Check for the first reactions (should i say reflex?):
http://sidux.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB ... 45&start=0
I used it as my how-to for a while (of course on Debian).
Qoute:
We at sidux make the impossible reality
"Hört, hört... Wie gnädig".
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

julian67

#25 Post by julian67 »

nadir wrote: For starters (sounds like you know it):
http://sidux.com/index.php?module=Wikula&tag=DisasterEN
What an amazing list! It must be some kind of miracle that people who don't use Sidux and don't know these mysterious rules can even boot :shock:

In reality it is almost all nonsense and says a lot more about that project than about the methods/tools criticised.

I love number 11
11. Other causes may result from choosing the wrong option during upgrades. One should use the current configurations instead of the maintainer configurations during dist-upgrades in the first place. But it is often hard to decide which option to take, as not always keeping your personal configurations is the best choice.
So never do it....err...except when you should do it....err...um...hard to say...not sure..but if you don't follow this advice you're "on the road to disaster"!!!

Or how about:
7. Maintenance of your system with synaptic or any other apt GUI client
Seriously, unless you are doing dist-upgrade or upgrading X then it makes no difference at all. Here's an example of my wickedness: running testing/sid (default testing) I upgrade every day with apt-get dist-upgrade. Sometimes I add or remove packages using Synaptic. Occasionally I use aptitude just to see what it might do differently (nothing mostly). I only quit from the GUI environment if upgrading Xorg packages or the kernel. Nothing broke in years.

And then there's:
2. Using unofficial compiled applications on your system (non-debian, self compiled)
Strong smell of bs here. Self built packages are fine if you build them with proper version numbers and dependency info, or even if you don't if they aren't depends of other stuff. How is it exactly that my non Debian kernel works fine? And MPlayer and MEncoder from svn?. Or sox and mpd (compiled for lame support) and easytag (with patch for cddb issue)?
12. Do not use localepurge, not only does it remove unused language packages; but it tends to corrupts other files in the process. To set up your locale properly use
I'd love to see the proof of all these old wives' tales they try to turn into a religion. Maybe you should also throw salt over your shoulder, cross the road if you see a black cat, stay at home on Friday 13th and check your horoscope daily to find out if Sidux will break today. As far as I can tell the "road to disaster" they mention is the road you find yourself on if you install sidux..... Sid is really far from an ideal choice for most people, it's nuts to imagine that with some voodoo you can make it stable enough for everyday use and avoid breakage. That idea is where the fault lies, not with the tools/packages/methods they claim are dangerous. Their only "rule" that is really true is the one about burning the install CD in the right mode. My suggestion? Don't waste the blank disk, instead put Debian netinstaller or CD1 on USB flash drive and install an OS which works.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

BioTube

#26 Post by BioTube »

julian67 wrote:I only quit from the GUI environment if upgrading Xorg packages or the kernel. Nothing broke in years.
I've never shutdown X before upgrading the packages; I've occasionally ended up with a system that would screw up royally(as in, a black screen that wouldn't go away), but that was when r600 support was still extremely new and finicky(and I was using git versions). Outside of that, the only problem I had was with audio in Wine, which was caused by upgrading from a sidux installation(and solved by a clean install of Debian).
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

craigevil

#27 Post by craigevil »

I have always done apt-get dist-upgrade in X, I also use Synaptic, when I used kde I used gtk-qt-engine.

I also use prelink and preload. When I tried kde4 I used Synaptic to install and to remove it.

localepurge has been installed since day 1 on my system.

never had both kde and Gnome installed and probably never will.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#28 Post by Zoot »

I had no idea the Sidux forums were that bad a place. I've dabbled with it somewhat myself, but not for quite a while now.

cynwulf

#29 Post by cynwulf »

Never dabbled with Sidux or been to their forums. From the sound of it, it's not somewhere I'd want to go. I've had my fill of places like that and the drooling fanboy slaves (aspiring moderators-to-be) that they attract.

beavenburt

#30 Post by beavenburt »

Some sort of announcement that doesn't really say a lot, make of it what you will:-
http://sidux-ev.de/index.php?name=News& ... ewlang=eng

Forum reaction:-
http://sidux.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB ... ic&t=21575

Whatever's going on there is a shame, I quite like sidux - my latest desktop theme is based on sidux. Where will I steal theming ideas from now? :D

craigevil

#31 Post by craigevil »

beavenburt wrote:Some sort of announcement that doesn't really say a lot, make of it what you will:-
http://sidux-ev.de/index.php?name=News& ... ewlang=eng

Forum reaction:-
http://sidux.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB ... ic&t=21575

Whatever's going on there is a shame, I quite like sidux - my latest desktop theme is based on sidux. Where will I steal theming ideas from now? :D
Don't you just love how devil explains without really explaining anything?

Another quite fun thread> http://www.sidux.com/index.php?name=PNp ... ic&t=21564

Look at distrowatch.org where sidux has been falling for over a year now. Ever since all the crap happened in the irc channel.

Why you may ask is it still falling?
1) A primarily German speaking irc channel, yes you can get help in English but who is even going to try when you join #sidux all you ever see is people using German.
2) One of the most unhelpful and rude forums of any distro. Anything the devs/moderators do not agree with either gets censored or moved to the read only archives. After the OP gets flamed by all the fanboys and devs.
3) The lack of multimedia support on the forums from day one due to the unwise decision to host the forum on a German server.
sidux is the only distro's forum I have ever seen where any discussion regarding the dmm repo or mplayer is censored. Need to play a dvd too bad, can't play mp3s or avis too bad, burn a disk use a script GUIs are lame.
4) sidux was supposed to be a community distro, but it never was the devs never discuss and issues they just do things their way
totally ignoring what people want
5) sidux is Debian, what a load of BS, no aptitude, no Synaptic, no Gnome, no nano by default, there are many many differences between the way the sidux devs want ppl to do things and the way Debian does them. Need a separate /home when you install? Nope can't do.
God forbid you install any package that does not come with sidux by default.

The use of Greek gods as version names is all well and good but using the Greek letters to spell them especially on the wallpaper is just plain annoying.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

anticapitalista

#32 Post by anticapitalista »

craigevil wrote: The use of Greek gods as version names is all well and good but using the Greek letters to spell them especially on the wallpaper is just plain annoying.
I actually think that this is one of the best 'features' of sidux.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

beavenburt

#33 Post by beavenburt »

Do you know who I blame? That damn scorpion. Everything was rosy until that scorpion got involved! :lol:

craigevil

#34 Post by craigevil »

I can't stand wallpapers that have words on them. The scorpion is a good mascot for sidux, you never know when it will bite you.
My Giant Sources.list

milomak

#35 Post by milomak »

don't run kde and gnome together :D

that has to take the cake.

That Road to Disaster link is funny until you realise they are being serious :shock:

edit: that said i actually liked the distro
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid