Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

So what do you think about Fedora 14?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
nadir

Re: So what do you think about Fedora 14?

#31 Post by nadir »

canci wrote: Also, my rc.conf is not a mess.
Post it. I ain't got no idea what the people are talking about.

The DM looks different if you restart/reboot then if you simply start it?
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#32 Post by canci »

nadir wrote: The DM looks different if you restart/reboot then if you simply start it?
Haha, I'm a bit anal about what "feeling" the theme gives me when the computer starts
and how things "blend". LOL, I know.

Also, my rc.conf looks the same as any vanilla one, except for the actual variables which are changed. And we're off topic.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

nadir

#33 Post by nadir »

Also, rc.conf has the advantage of having almost everything start up and system related in 1 file
Also, my rc.conf looks the same as any vanilla one, except for the actual variables which are changed.
So if you would ever want to edit something it would be all in one file?
Aha.
No, not really. I don't get it.
All that you don't edit is in one file?
What is the advantage?

What was about plymouth? Didn't you say it was easy to set it up on Arch?
But you don't do it. But if you would, then...

Again the advantage of "but it is all in one file" sounds like speculation.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#34 Post by canci »

You my friend have serious problems with semantics. I never said I don't edit rc.conf, just that it has the same structure, besides of course my variable that change from time to time. It therefore does not look diff from the standard one you get when installing.

PM me if this really is a burden understanding, I also speak German. But we're really really off-topic.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

nadir

#35 Post by nadir »

Also, my rc.conf looks the same as any vanilla one, except for the actual variables which are changed.
Dosna seem hard to understand, my friend.
What makes it worse:
But that's of no relevance to someone who likes the default settings,
A real example what a real user does on a regular basis would probably help more of us to understand what the advantage is (one which is worth to mention it at all).

You can offer one, yes or no? The code from the conf.rc and the Debian way of doing that.

oOarthurOo

#36 Post by oOarthurOo »

I think the experiment is over. Just had a hard-lockup. Nothing worked. Couldn't switch terminals. Nada. I really thought this was the distro that might take me away from Debian, but it's like travelling; the more amazing things you see abroad, the more you appreciate how great you got it back home. Sigh... time to get out the usb and download the netinst.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#37 Post by canci »

Sounds to me like the Liquorix kernel :)

READ THIS:

cynwulf

#38 Post by cynwulf »

oOarthurOo wrote:I think the experiment is over. Just had a hard-lockup. Nothing worked. Couldn't switch terminals. Nada. I really thought this was the distro that might take me away from Debian, but it's like travelling; the more amazing things you see abroad, the more you appreciate how great you got it back home. Sigh... time to get out the usb and download the netinst.
Bad luck, any idea as to what caused it?

nadir

#39 Post by nadir »

canci wrote:Sounds to me like the Liquorix kernel :)
:shock:
Not bad for someone who attests "serious problems with semantics" to others.

Off-topic too (before you start adding it to your posts, i did it for you).

:lol:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#40 Post by canci »

@Nadir: Not quite. Similar problems happened to me with the Liquorix kernel version .35 . Maybe it has similar patches?
It does have the same kernel version

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_%28 ... on_history

Also, I am very sorry if you got the semantics part a bit personal, but you didn't really seem to have read my
post and were putting words into my mouth. I hope I could make my aim with the rc.conf comments clearer.
If not, PM me again. I didn't want to be mean or anything.

READ THIS:

oOarthurOo

#41 Post by oOarthurOo »

cynwulf wrote:Bad luck, any idea as to what caused it?
The only thing running was evolution. There's been some noise on the evo mailing lists about it segfaulting on F14, unfortunately there was nothing in any of the logs to suggest more conclusively what happened.

What a shame too... I was really starting to like it.

nitwit536

#42 Post by nitwit536 »

nadir wrote:/etc/init.d/gdm stop
/etc/init.d/kdm start
You can even make it look prettier:

Code: Select all

service gdm stop
service kdm start

prana_yama

#43 Post by prana_yama »

So what do you think about Fedora 14?
I think that it won't be bad if somebody explain in plain language(bulgarian prefered :D ) what SPICE gives to normal desktop users compared to other virtualization technologies, and is it possible SPICE to become the "next NetworkManager". Plus if possible to say how turbo is the new turbo jpeg :)

ravisista

#44 Post by ravisista »

Oh dear...I didn't realize my innocent post will generate so much discussion not only about Fedora 14 but also about other Distros, finding cure for cancer/AIDS, solving World hunger etc. I feel proud! :-). Keep it going guys (and girls)!!

Ravi (yeah, Fedora 14 is still on the CD here and it is NOT going to make it to the hard disk - ever) Sista

ArconsII

#45 Post by ArconsII »

Fedora was difficult to netinstall due to YUM's erratic behavior, but the fact that FULL (I mean everything working) kernel modesetting worked on my i830 mobile chipset means it gets both cookies and crackers.

I'll stick with Debian and back-ported Intel video drivers until it absolutely necessary however....

llivv

#46 Post by llivv »

ArconsII wrote:Fedora was difficult to netinstall due to YUM's erratic behavior, but the fact that FULL (I mean everything working) kernel modesetting worked on my i830 mobile chipset means it gets both cookies and crackers.

I'll stick with Debian and back-ported Intel video drivers until it absolutely necessary however....
I have an i830 toshiba 1200-s212 lappy with 2 x 128MB PC133 sodimm
I can get F13 Live booted nicely to Gnome ...
but bootup takes forever 4 or 5 minutes and swapping never stops.....

F14 complains (seems it's seeing the internal orinoco wireless -b as a pcmcia card inserted in slot0)
but I think it's more the 256MB of ram than anything else...
I'll probably see if I can find 2 x 256MB or 2 x 512MB sodimms for under $70 ( I know I'm probably dreamin)
Fedora is way different than debian ....
Will let ya know if I figure out how to use dracut on a debian box
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

cynwulf

#47 Post by cynwulf »

ArconsII wrote:Fedora was difficult to netinstall due to YUM's erratic behavior, but the fact that FULL (I mean everything working) kernel modesetting worked on my i830 mobile chipset means it gets both cookies and crackers.
Was this the latest, F14? If so it may be partly due to the newer kernel (2.6.35 ?). I am having problems with an i830 chipset in my old laptop (running Sid), the 2.6.36 kernel from experimental makes it usable but performance is bad - but I need to update anyway as it's been nearly a week since I've tried. I don't think I'll install fedora on it though as it was hard enough to get debian on there with only floppy drive.

dbbolton

#48 Post by dbbolton »

Additional vacuous post
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

ArconsII

#49 Post by ArconsII »

cynwulf wrote:
Was this the latest, F14? If so it may be partly due to the newer kernel (2.6.35 ?). I am having problems with an i830 chipset in my old laptop (running Sid), the 2.6.36 kernel from experimental makes it usable but performance is bad - but I need to update anyway as it's been nearly a week since I've tried. I don't think I'll install fedora on it though as it was hard enough to get debian on there with only floppy drive.
I'm pretty sure it was the newest (F14) version.
Would a newer kernel help it? I'm running Squeeze on that laptop which has 2.6.32. I believe F14 has 2.6.35.