Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

So what do you think about Fedora 14?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
llivv

Re: So what do you think about Fedora 14?

#46 Post by llivv »

ArconsII wrote:Fedora was difficult to netinstall due to YUM's erratic behavior, but the fact that FULL (I mean everything working) kernel modesetting worked on my i830 mobile chipset means it gets both cookies and crackers.

I'll stick with Debian and back-ported Intel video drivers until it absolutely necessary however....
I have an i830 toshiba 1200-s212 lappy with 2 x 128MB PC133 sodimm
I can get F13 Live booted nicely to Gnome ...
but bootup takes forever 4 or 5 minutes and swapping never stops.....

F14 complains (seems it's seeing the internal orinoco wireless -b as a pcmcia card inserted in slot0)
but I think it's more the 256MB of ram than anything else...
I'll probably see if I can find 2 x 256MB or 2 x 512MB sodimms for under $70 ( I know I'm probably dreamin)
Fedora is way different than debian ....
Will let ya know if I figure out how to use dracut on a debian box
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

cynwulf

#47 Post by cynwulf »

ArconsII wrote:Fedora was difficult to netinstall due to YUM's erratic behavior, but the fact that FULL (I mean everything working) kernel modesetting worked on my i830 mobile chipset means it gets both cookies and crackers.
Was this the latest, F14? If so it may be partly due to the newer kernel (2.6.35 ?). I am having problems with an i830 chipset in my old laptop (running Sid), the 2.6.36 kernel from experimental makes it usable but performance is bad - but I need to update anyway as it's been nearly a week since I've tried. I don't think I'll install fedora on it though as it was hard enough to get debian on there with only floppy drive.

dbbolton

#48 Post by dbbolton »

Additional vacuous post
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

ArconsII

#49 Post by ArconsII »

cynwulf wrote:
Was this the latest, F14? If so it may be partly due to the newer kernel (2.6.35 ?). I am having problems with an i830 chipset in my old laptop (running Sid), the 2.6.36 kernel from experimental makes it usable but performance is bad - but I need to update anyway as it's been nearly a week since I've tried. I don't think I'll install fedora on it though as it was hard enough to get debian on there with only floppy drive.
I'm pretty sure it was the newest (F14) version.
Would a newer kernel help it? I'm running Squeeze on that laptop which has 2.6.32. I believe F14 has 2.6.35.