What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-09-03 12:23

Arch [testing]:

I changed the GNOME top panel font with this snippet in ~/.themes/CustomFontTheme/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css:
Code: Select all
stage {
font-family: "Cantarell", "Sans";
}

That then allows the universal "Sans" alias to be set (for all applications) via ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf (see /etc/fonts/fonts.conf for examples using the correct syntax) :)
"Are you quite sure that all those bells and whistles, all those wonderful facilities of your so called powerful programming languages, belong to the solution set rather than the problem set?" — Edsger W. Dijkstra
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-09-05 20:19

Alpine Linux running dwm, st. tmux, fortune(1), neofetch and some commands for the busybox-based OpenRC init system:

Still no wallpaper :D

EDIT: just noticed from the scrot that my firewall wasn't up, oh dear.

It is now though:
Code: Select all
empty@alpine:~ $ rc-service nftables status
empty@alpine:~ $
"Are you quite sure that all those bells and whistles, all those wonderful facilities of your so called powerful programming languages, belong to the solution set rather than the problem set?" — Edsger W. Dijkstra
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby HuangLao » 2017-09-06 00:16

SalixOS/Slackware with Xfce, wallpaper compliments of Xubuntu..... :lol:
HuangLao

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-09-10 21:33

Same operating system, different hardware. And a wallpaper.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby oswaldkelso » 2017-09-18 10:59

Dragora 2.2

Thought I'd better get some practice in ready for the up and coming all new and shinny Dragora 3 (D3) alpha. http://dragora.org/repo.fsl/timeline
Yes, even us freetards know how to have fun. This was a joke that turned into a theme.

larger
http://picpaste.com/2017-09-17-Dragora- ... k5GT1W.png

The Dragora-stallman openbox theme is here.
https://www.box-look.org/p/1191774/

Wallpaper is available under CC-BY-SA but really was a quick hack and needs a remake.
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-09-19 20:19

^ Nice! :D

oswaldkelso wrote:Wallpaper is available under CC-BY-SA

I do hope that's not under v2.0 or v2.5... :mrgreen:

I've installed Alpine Linux on my hard drive now, I love it to bits:

(That's the spacefm file manager and two rxvt-unicode client windows running neofetch and vim open at an APKBUILD for 9base)

systemd is now in a minority when it comes to init systems in our house :|
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-09-21 20:10

Pretty much the same as my Debian Jessie ... which looks like

Similar for my FreeBSD and XenialPup64 multi-boots.

All use xorg, jwm, pcmanfm base (with pcmanfm --desktop providing desktop icon support).
ruffwoof

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-10-08 12:08

Development version of BunsenLabs Helium booting with OpenRC and the new openrc-init binary, no sysvinit or systemd required :D
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Nili » 2017-10-09 19:13

Wallpaper: A port part in TOKYO

DEVUAN
Launcher tint2 Icons: Lances Two
WM: herbstluftwm / tint2 / conky
Roots heritage #! / If ain't it broke, make some tweaks then
Heart Gata Virus
WM: herbstluftwm / tint2 / conky
Nili

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-10-10 05:40

Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-10-14 13:50

Alpine Linux (edge branch) running dwm & slstatus with an rxvt-unicode client window:

Lean.
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2017-10-15 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby VentGrey » 2017-10-14 16:25

Alpine Linux (edge branch) running dwm & slstatus with an rxvt-unicode client window:

+10 lynx, I love your wm configs :mrgreen:
“I felt myself on the edge of the world; peering over the rim into a fathomless chaos of eternal night.”
― H.P. Lovecraft after trying Debian SidImage
VentGrey

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-10-15 07:42

^ Thanks!

I've added some links for the configs, in case anybody is interested but note that my dwm fork doesn't do xinerama.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-10-20 20:38

With the recent release of OpenBSD 6.2 I gave it another try. Last time I tried OpenBSD it wasn't much of a success as it didn't work well with nvidia (windows were laggy to drag around), so this time I used the onboard Radeon ATI and its working really well.

(clickable thumbnail)

I opted to use 3 gkrellm's, each set to a relatively small height and positioned them side by side in the top left (disk, cpu, net). I matched the jwm tray height to the same along with matching the colours (my preference is a jwm and pcmanfm --desktop base system). I've set the clock (top left) so that left click acts as show/hide desktop toggle and right mouse click activates MENU. I also added in a borderless/titleless terminal window sized to 60x7 characters that opens below those gkrellm's and that displays/runs htop ... which adds visibility of my CPU's 4 cores (along with some other data/stats). So collectively the desktop is quite animated/active.

Some programs added to the tray i.e. right click of osmo or libre quicklauncher presents dropdown menu for notes/calendar/events and office type choices, other tray buttons directly start programs (firefox, terminal ...etc.). Some icons also put on the desktop for drag/drop operations (e.g. drag a file manager .jpg file to desktop mtpaint program icon opens up mtpaint with that .jpg file ready to be edited).

The basic OpenBSD install was a breeze as was adding packages (pkg_add instead of apt-get). Much nicer than FreeBSD IMO as it more or less all comes pre-configured. Apparently syspatch updates the core system, pkg_add -u updates programs and both worked smoothly (similar to apt-get update, apt-get upgrade). Adding softdep,noatime to each rw ffs filesystem helped improve overall operational speed (switches from being very secure synchronous disk IO to async/buffering ... with considerable speed improvement but foregoes some security/stability (not really a issue for a desktop system, more of a concern for heavily loaded large servers)).

Liking it a lot. Especially having the gkrellm's flashing away as part of the taskbar (still visible when programs are maximised).

Negatives : 6 monthly releases, each release supported for a year, means having to reinstall (upgrade) relatively frequently (6 monthly/1 year), at least if you want to be kept security patched (compared to sticking perhaps for 4 years with a Debian release). Repositories are much more limited ... however personally sufficient to cater for my needs. A lot less usage (at least from a desktop perspective), so google searches tend to result in far fewer associated results than Debian/Linux in general.

I like it a lot, enough to be a keeper, now have it set as my default boot and will stick with that at least for a while (maybe even longer term). I've removed my nvidia card (after the dry summer months I like to dust out the inside of the PC) and it runs really quiet now and when idle CPU usage drops and stays at 0% (runs a lot cooler also).
ruffwoof

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-10-20 21:52

ruffwoof wrote:Apparently syspatch updates the core system, pkg_add -u updates programs

Not quite — OpenBSD only supplies third-party binaries for -release (and -current) whereas syspatch(8) upgrades your base system to -stable so then you have to compile your own updated packages from the ports tree.

I would recommend -current for desktop use as it makes maintenance considerably simpler: just boot from /bsd.rd to update to the latest snapshot and use `pkg_add -u` to get the binary updates for third-party packages.

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors
Head_on_a_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic