What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby ruffwoof » 2018-07-07 10:59

I did try iridium the other day, a chromium like alternative to firefox. Liked it a lot functionally and it seems to run googledocs (spreadsheets etc.) very quickly, other than the initial loading/starting about as quick as running libre scalc locally. The downside for me is that I've used firefox longer term so familiarity and choice of plugins/extensions are all 'easy' whereas with iridium I struggled (unfamiliarity). Another benefit of iridium is that it is Pledged I believe, so more secure (Pledge is OpenBSD's method of monitoring that programs stay within the boundaries of what they're expected to do/use). OBSD also comes with a nightly security check of things, i.e. potential intrusion detection. I do add to that a mtree scan of all bin, sbin, lib, etc ... etc files so any changes result in a checksum mismatch (additional intrusion detection such as if a trojan is piggy-backed on top of a lib).

Was dual booting Debian and OpenBSD, but solely OBSD now.
Acer Aspire M3201 (2GB), Radeon HD3200, AMD Phenom X4
ruffwoof

Postby Nili » 2018-07-08 18:21

As usual: Openbox with help of Blocks theme by addy-dclxvi | Tint2 | Conky | Compton | URxvt
mora.jp (Quality endless bits)
Nili

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-07-08 18:27

^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.
Wheelerof4te

Postby debiman » 2018-07-08 22:40

thanks ruffwoof and HoaS; the freetype fonts in the screenshots look just as good as on my system!
debiman

Postby Nili » 2018-07-09 06:30

Wheelerof4te wrote:^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.

Thanks mate! Thanks goes to addy-dclxvi aswell, he made it all possible. Background i found on unsplash.com somewhere on the Asian tag. I usually change them often. I don't have much work with configs, but i am keeping a bit this recently.

Regarding font, Iosevka is very good one for both GTK/CLI.
I've been holding it for a while this font, I'm not goin change very soon.

Thanks again!
Regards!
mora.jp (Quality endless bits)
Nili

Postby Linadian » 2018-07-16 13:16

Devuan ascii, with a full set of system sounds. That lovely lady is Mia Sollis btw, so in love with her. :oops:
Now if the nice folks over at Devuan could just fix the shred bug, it freezes up Thunar every time I use it. :cry:

Linux Registered User 533946
Linadian

Previous

Return to Offtopic