Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ruffwoof

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

#1351 Post by ruffwoof »

I did try iridium the other day, a chromium like alternative to firefox. Liked it a lot functionally and it seems to run googledocs (spreadsheets etc.) very quickly, other than the initial loading/starting about as quick as running libre scalc locally. The downside for me is that I've used firefox longer term so familiarity and choice of plugins/extensions are all 'easy' whereas with iridium I struggled (unfamiliarity). Another benefit of iridium is that it is Pledged I believe, so more secure (Pledge is OpenBSD's method of monitoring that programs stay within the boundaries of what they're expected to do/use). OBSD also comes with a nightly security check of things, i.e. potential intrusion detection. I do add to that a mtree scan of all bin, sbin, lib, etc ... etc files so any changes result in a checksum mismatch (additional intrusion detection such as if a trojan is piggy-backed on top of a lib).

Nili

#1352 Post by Nili »

As usual: Openbox with help of Blocks theme by addy-dclxvi | Tint2 | Conky | Compton | URxvt
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

Wheelerof4te

#1353 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.

debiman

#1354 Post by debiman »

thanks ruffwoof and HoaS; the freetype fonts in the screenshots look just as good as on my system!

Nili

#1355 Post by Nili »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.
Thanks mate! Thanks goes to addy-dclxvi aswell, he made it all possible. Background i found on unsplash.com somewhere on the Asian tag. I usually change them often. I don't have much work with configs, but i am keeping a bit this recently.

Regarding font, Iosevka is very good one for both GTK/CLI.
I've been holding it for a while this font, I'm not goin change very soon.

Thanks again!
Regards!

♫♪ Elisa playing...

Linadian

#1356 Post by Linadian »

Dear admin, feel free to delete this post.
Last edited by Linadian on 2018-07-19 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Registered User 533946

ruffwoof

#1357 Post by ruffwoof »

Seeing this observation by Theo de Raadt, I've been persisting with Iridium and its starting to become all second nature for me now, and I like it, a lot.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819&w=2

OpenBSD + iridium "desktop" (only other installed package is ddclient so the web server's (PC) dynamic IP is associated with a fixed domain name).

I've also started using tmux more now and have my cwm gap at the top of page (that can be left/right mouse clicked to show windows/programs) showing xclock (date and time), along with xload in colours that compare to the tmux bottom of screen panel. Like how you can use tmux for collaborating https://youtu.be/norO25P7xHg and how it enables you to log in, start things off and disconnect (detatch) and return again later and reattach from any ssh supporting device (phone) back into the exact same session again.

Captured the screenshots using xwd and used a online image converter to make them .jpg.

HuangLao

#1359 Post by HuangLao »

Salix/Slackware 14.2 with Xfce
Arc-OSX, theme
Papirus-Dark icons
Wallpaper borrowed from Xubuntu liveCD :)
http://i.imgur.com/ymASFfH.png

jezzivi

#1360 Post by jezzivi »

Septor 2018
Debian - KDE Plasma - Tor

ruffwoof

#1361 Post by ruffwoof »

Saw this wallpaper in another desktop snap, liked it, so adopted it for myself (OpenBSD cwm, iridium web browser)

Mostly use the browser as the launcher

Use if for playing videos/music, viewing PDF's, file browser, calculator (html/javascript), online email, googledocs for office, online image editor. I also have a time html/javascript that I use to show the current date/time in one of the tab titles. 2 pixel gap at the top of the screen so I can pull down the cwm windows/groups/applications menus.

For personal/private docs/data I store them under root and use the console - running tmux and mc (along with calcurse). Looks very similar to the same colour theme as this X snapshot (can't take a direct snapshot of my console).

Generally prefer having each window maximised and toggle between them than having panes and zooming in/out.

I use ddnsfree for a static domain name that points to my (included in base system, along with X ...etc.) httpd server (dynamic IP). Such that my entire desktop is pretty lean, base + handful of other programs.

acer$ pkg_info -mz
calcurse--
ddclient--
feh--
iridium--
mc--

Less than 100 additional progs/libs on top of base OpenBSD. I use openup to keep the base and pre-built binaries that I have installed updated (similar to apt-get update).

debiman

#1362 Post by debiman »

ruffwoof wrote:Seeing this observation by Theo de Raadt, I've been persisting with Iridium and its starting to become all second nature for me now, and I like it, a lot.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819&w=2
how does this post lead you to using a particular chromium clone?
the post only compares chrome (not -ium!) to firefox. i personally find deRaadt's reply a bit rash; the casual reader could get to the conclusion that he is recommending chrome.

PS: additionally, i don't see what's the sense in being so careful about security and privacy in one's browser, only to then blow it all in the wind by using google's and other cloud services...

Head_on_a_Stick

#1363 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:i personally find deRaadt's reply a bit rash; the casual reader could get to the conclusion that he is recommending chrome
Theo does recommend www/chromium, their privsep model is the best around and it was the first port to have unveil(2) implemented.

Please post a scrot if you're going to chat, people want to see pretty pictures here :)

I'm stuck with just a Win10 laptop but I have a live image:

Yay!
deadbang

ruffwoof

#1364 Post by ruffwoof »

debiman wrote:PS: additionally, i don't see what's the sense in being so careful about security and privacy in one's browser, only to then blow it all in the wind by using google's and other cloud services...
Casual email, docs ...etc. things I have little concern about privacy/being seen by others. For my secure docs/data they're stored under root and within a encrypted file filesystem, local access only. In addition to OpenBSD's default security/monitoring I also checksum lib's/bin's/sbin's/etc. for better intrusion detection flagging. As a single user desktop setup I have no issues with such separation/usage.

For screenshot (in keeping with the forum), I've added additional console colour by including in .profile ...

Code: Select all

PS1="\[\e[34;1m\]Pwd: \[\e[36m\]\w\n\[\e[31;1m\]\u@\h> \[\e[32m\]"
along with exporting a TERM value set wsvt25. mc gotar theme works well with that IMO. Image is actually a xterm version of that - as I can't snap my console. Other than slightly better looking font under xterm, the colours/looks are the same.

debiman

#1365 Post by debiman »

ruffwoof wrote:Casual email, docs ...etc. things I have little concern about privacy/being seen by others.
i will never understand statements like this.
i could only repeat my previous question... nevermind.

as per request:

archlinux, openbox, oomox:

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#1366 Post by None1975 »

I wonder if anyone from the registered forum users uses cwm in Debian? It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Nili

#1367 Post by Nili »

None1975 wrote:I wonder if anyone from the registered forum users uses cwm in Debian? It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm.
cwm has attracted my attention, but i have neglected it for various reasons (that have no connection with wm). Now I want to say that LinuxBBQ have a well explained info about this wm.

Someone may find it useful. Also LinuxBBQ have plenty review for Other Window Managers Worth to check it.

Regards!

♫♪ Elisa playing...

GarryRicketson

#1368 Post by GarryRicketson »

None1975 wrote:I wonder if anyone from the registered forum users uses cwm in Debian? It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm.
Actually, if you looked through some of the screen shots, in this topic, "What does your non-Debian desktop look like?"
You will see there are a few using cwm,...
If you want to start a new topic, asking for "Reviews about cwm", that would
be fine , I think de-railing the What does your non-Debian desktop look like? topic, for specifically "reviews on cwm", is rather poor etiquette, and
bad taste. Personally I don't like it, (cwm) much, I have tried it. I prefer Fvwm:
by Head_on_a_Stick » Please post a scrot if you're going to chat, people want to see pretty pictures here :)
Which pictures are pretty, might be a matter of opinion, but I agree it would be nice if members would start new topics, when they want to "chit chat" about other topics , IE : "It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm". Simple procedure , got to the "off topic" Select >NEW TOPIC , copy /paste :

Code: Select all

reviews about cwm 
into the subject/title ,... and write a brief description of the topic one wishes to "chit chat" about,... if other members are interested , they will respond.
@None1975 , this is not personal, and it is not just you, there are a couple of others that seem to constantly try to turn this topic into a "chit chat" ,topic/thread, mostly about the OS , and WM they happen to prefer, ...maybe they just don't know how to start a new topic, I don't know... maybe it is just me, but I do find it annoying.... But ok, in the long run, I really don't care, if most of the other forum members want to turn this topic/thread into a "chit chat" thread, have fun, and let's just forget about what the topic is :
What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

GarryRicketson

#1369 Post by GarryRicketson »

In this screen shot of my non-Debian desktop, OpenBsd, I am using
cwm, it does not look any different, or better then with OpenBox, but to me is very "clumsy" to use, ...
But any way, for forum members that want to post "reviews", I went ahead and started a new topic, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 18#p678082

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#1370 Post by None1975 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Actually, if you looked through some of the screen shots, in this topic, "What does your non-Debian desktop look like?"
You will see there are a few using cwm,...
Hello and sorry for my bad English. The images only represent the image, and the person using the wm described exits is quite different.
If you want to start a new topic, asking for "Reviews about cwm", that would be fine
I do not see the point to do this because I can ask here.
Personally I don't like it, (cwm) much, I have tried it. I prefer Fvwm:
Thanks for the sightings. They are very valuable :roll:
this is not personal, and it is not just you, there are a couple of others that seem to constantly try to turn this topic into a "chit chat" ,topic/thread, mostly about the OS , and WM they happen to prefer, ...maybe they just don't know how to start a new topic, I don't know... maybe it is just me, but I do find it annoying....
Forgive me if I have enough of your sensitive soul. You may need to visit a psychologist.
But any way, for forum members that want to post "reviews"
In the internet space, you're good at pointing out everyone, but I suspect you're a suppressed man in real life.
P.S.
Can add me to the ignore list. I'm having fun with you and your lessons. Good day (or night).
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github