Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

#1366 Post by None1975 »

I wonder if anyone from the registered forum users uses cwm in Debian? It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Nili

#1367 Post by Nili »

None1975 wrote:I wonder if anyone from the registered forum users uses cwm in Debian? It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm.
cwm has attracted my attention, but i have neglected it for various reasons (that have no connection with wm). Now I want to say that LinuxBBQ have a well explained info about this wm.

Someone may find it useful. Also LinuxBBQ have plenty review for Other Window Managers Worth to check it.

Regards!
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

GarryRicketson

#1368 Post by GarryRicketson »

None1975 wrote:I wonder if anyone from the registered forum users uses cwm in Debian? It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm.
Actually, if you looked through some of the screen shots, in this topic, "What does your non-Debian desktop look like?"
You will see there are a few using cwm,...
If you want to start a new topic, asking for "Reviews about cwm", that would
be fine , I think de-railing the What does your non-Debian desktop look like? topic, for specifically "reviews on cwm", is rather poor etiquette, and
bad taste. Personally I don't like it, (cwm) much, I have tried it. I prefer Fvwm:
by Head_on_a_Stick » Please post a scrot if you're going to chat, people want to see pretty pictures here :)
Which pictures are pretty, might be a matter of opinion, but I agree it would be nice if members would start new topics, when they want to "chit chat" about other topics , IE : "It would be nice to hear reviews about cwm". Simple procedure , got to the "off topic" Select >NEW TOPIC , copy /paste :

Code: Select all

reviews about cwm 
into the subject/title ,... and write a brief description of the topic one wishes to "chit chat" about,... if other members are interested , they will respond.
@None1975 , this is not personal, and it is not just you, there are a couple of others that seem to constantly try to turn this topic into a "chit chat" ,topic/thread, mostly about the OS , and WM they happen to prefer, ...maybe they just don't know how to start a new topic, I don't know... maybe it is just me, but I do find it annoying.... But ok, in the long run, I really don't care, if most of the other forum members want to turn this topic/thread into a "chit chat" thread, have fun, and let's just forget about what the topic is :
What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

GarryRicketson

#1369 Post by GarryRicketson »

In this screen shot of my non-Debian desktop, OpenBsd, I am using
cwm, it does not look any different, or better then with OpenBox, but to me is very "clumsy" to use, ...
But any way, for forum members that want to post "reviews", I went ahead and started a new topic, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 18#p678082

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#1370 Post by None1975 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Actually, if you looked through some of the screen shots, in this topic, "What does your non-Debian desktop look like?"
You will see there are a few using cwm,...
Hello and sorry for my bad English. The images only represent the image, and the person using the wm described exits is quite different.
If you want to start a new topic, asking for "Reviews about cwm", that would be fine
I do not see the point to do this because I can ask here.
Personally I don't like it, (cwm) much, I have tried it. I prefer Fvwm:
Thanks for the sightings. They are very valuable :roll:
this is not personal, and it is not just you, there are a couple of others that seem to constantly try to turn this topic into a "chit chat" ,topic/thread, mostly about the OS , and WM they happen to prefer, ...maybe they just don't know how to start a new topic, I don't know... maybe it is just me, but I do find it annoying....
Forgive me if I have enough of your sensitive soul. You may need to visit a psychologist.
But any way, for forum members that want to post "reviews"
In the internet space, you're good at pointing out everyone, but I suspect you're a suppressed man in real life.
P.S.
Can add me to the ignore list. I'm having fun with you and your lessons. Good day (or night).

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#1371 Post by None1975 »

Nili wrote:cwm has attracted my attention, but i have neglected it for various reasons (that have no connection with wm). Now I want to say that LinuxBBQ have a well explained info about this wm.
Someone may find it useful. Also LinuxBBQ have plenty review for Other Window Managers Worth to check it. Regards!
Thanks for the links. I am pleased to see the reviews provided there.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#1372 Post by oswaldkelso »

First off, if you read the OPs comments there are only 2 rules in this thread "Non-Debian and no thumbnails".

Clearly images are a major part of it but not the be all and end all. Otherwise the thread is nothing but a fashion show, the Miss World of the non Debian desktop and the descriptions would read like "red border on windows with shadow under active window and wobbly windows on iconify".
Personally I like the fact Miss Slovenia is intelligent as well as pretty and has a few interesting things to say. Also I'm sure those with blindness and poor sight blind appreciate the more detailed posts with descriptions of what advantage/features one DE/WM gives the user over another.

Posting nothing but a screen shot is bullshit and a disservice to the community write about it for god sake! Sometimes run a script the changes the look of my desktop every 60 seconds and while it may be aesthetically pleasing it does not change how it functions or demonstrate why my desktop is superior. Other times I a set a solid black wallpaper and have no panel or the panel on autohide, surely people what to know why my setup is the bees knees and not just look at a black rectangle!

Carry on :P
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

GarryRicketson

#1373 Post by GarryRicketson »

stoffepojken wrote:
62chevy wrote:That would be one of five in a VM. I always hear people ranting and raving about this thing and that thing so I try them and then never use them.

XP is the one I use most often when I cant get something to work in Linux or wine. Other than iTunes I've found something better in Debian or it just plain works in wine.
Post your XP screenshots. In this thread we have two rules. Not Debian and not thumbnails. We want non-free fullscreen stuff.
Your right, it was not the original post, but the 3rd one.
However, I still think review on a specific WM or DE, would be better in another topic, this one is for various desktops, I do have a question :
Who is "Miss Slovenia" ?
by oswaldkelso »Personally I like the fact Miss Slovenia is intelligent as well as pretty and has a few interesting things to say.
And last :
None1975 »In the internet space, you're good at pointing out everyone, but I suspect you're a suppressed man in real life.
Thank you for showing your lack of intelligence, and knowledge, you don't even know me, nor do you know if I am male or female, I might even just be a bot, but any way your welcome to suspect anything you want. What I see, your are just a troll, a name in my computer screen, nothing real nor significant.
None1975 »Can add me to the ignore list. I'm having fun with you and your lessons. Good day (or night).
Yes I could do that, easily since you are nothing but a username and some text
on my screen. P.S. Glad to hear you are having fun,
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-08-04 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#1374 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Full resolution scrots seem to cut off with a smaller screen so I'm sticking to thumbnail links:

Slightly updated status readout in the panel (now showing the load average over the last minute):

# ~/.xinitrc

#!/bin/sh
xset s 300
while sleep 1;do xsetroot -name "$(uptime|awk '{gsub(",","");print $9}')  •  $(apm|awk '/Battery/{print $4}')  •  $(date +'%F  •  %T')";done&
sh ~/.fehbg
exec dwm
Shell configuration:

# ~/.kshrc

. /etc/ksh.kshrc

alias su='/usr/bin/su'
alias doas='/usr/bin/doas'
alias passwd='/usr/bin/passwd'

alias ..='cd ..'
alias ...='cd ../..'
alias ....='cd ../../..'
alias .....='cd ../../../..'
alias ......='cd ../../../../..'

alias tcp='doas tcpdump -o -a -q -i iwn0'
alias tcpe='doas tcpdump -o -a -q -i em0'
alias pfmon='doas tcpdump -nei pflog0'
alias weather='ansiweather -l London'
alias man='man -Owidth=$((COLUMNS-2))'

PS1='\h:\w\e[31m${?#0}\e[0m\$ ' 

9 fortune
print
That's fortune(1) from plan9/plan9port, it is consistently hilarious.

The ${?#0} bit in the prompt (PS1) shows the return code of the previous command but only if it is non-zero.
deadbang

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#1375 Post by None1975 »

GarryRicketson wrote:What I see, your are just a troll, a name in my computer screen, nothing real nor ignificant.
The fact that you call others the trolls (as you often see in your comments) can give the impression that you are an old idiot. But it does not matter. An uninvited person will always remain an uninvited person.

GarryRicketson

#1376 Post by GarryRicketson »

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-08-03 05:31
Full resolution scrots seem to cut off with a smaller screen so I'm sticking to thumbnail links:
That is pretty nice H_O_A_S

Here , I am trying to figure out using "cwm",...

And this is one using "fvwm", but after all said a done, I like OpenBox better then either one.

debiman

#1377 Post by debiman »

None1975 wrote:P.S.
Can add me to the ignore list.
...because one cannot put garryricketson on the ignore list, because someone made him a spam hunter.
i had discussed this earlier, after which mr ricketson created a second identity "jibberjabber" to do exactly that.
i never thanked you for that, garryricketson, but i did notice and for a while it worked well! so thank you!
i request you use your other account if you want to indulge in walls of text!
GarryRicketson wrote:I do have a question :
Who is "Miss Slovenia" ?
Personally I like the fact Miss Slovenia is intelligent as well as pretty and has a few interesting things to say.
honestly, what has this got to do with spam hunting? or anything?

btw, since your username contains a male first name i find it safe to assume that you are indeed male - or at least that you choose to play the online role of a male.

GarryRicketson

#1378 Post by GarryRicketson »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Full resolution scrots seem to cut off with a smaller screen so I'm sticking to thumbnail links:

----snipped---
I am wondering, what is "neofetch" ? and how do you get the output shown here :

Thanks
===== edit =====
Never mind, I should have just done this:
what is neofetch
1st hit:
https://github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch
That explains it all.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-08-04 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Dai_trying

#1379 Post by Dai_trying »

dai@buster:~$ apt search neofetch
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
neofetch/testing 5.0.0-1 all
  Shows Linux System Information with Distribution Logo
You mean you didn't search first Gary? :lol:

GarryRicketson

#1380 Post by GarryRicketson »

Kind of ironic, but no, I didn't .... then I did , and found it. Just now downloaded it.

GarryRicketson

#1381 Post by GarryRicketson »

Still needs some work, but it works.

Head_on_a_Stick

#1382 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ There is also sysutils/screenfetch but the code isn't as clean as neofetch, please be sure to report any problems with the OpenBSD readout here as I am "maintaining" that functionality upstream, thanks!

EDIT: note to self: work on port for neofetch...
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#1384 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Lysander wrote:full Slack
That's very cool but how many Slackbuilds & third-party packages have you used?

I got bored of the bloat so I raised my old Alpine Linux system from it's 6 month hibernation, it updated fine with just a small change in the apparmor init script needed to get it booting error-free (and faster than any of my systemd boxen):

Alpine really is fantastic: busybox & OpenRC for the init system, musl libc base and everything controlled from scripts and the shell; the super-simple Arch-like packaging system (with an aports tree more tightly integrated than Arch's version) is the cherry on top.
deadbang

Lysander

#1385 Post by Lysander »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: That's very cool but how many Slackbuilds & third-party packages have you used?
I've managed to count around 60 in /tmp on my main install. There are some more to go, so that figure will go up but it will probably top at around 100 or less. I know some people run it vanilla with no 3rd party packages, but there's no way I'll do that. Spotify, Libre Office and Evince, for instance, are vital to me.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Alpine really is fantastic: busybox & OpenRC for the init system, musl libc base and everything controlled from scripts and the shell; the super-simple Arch-like packaging system (with an aports tree more tightly integrated than Arch's version) is the cherry on top.
Sounds nice actually, but I shan't be tempted.