What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby ruffwoof » 2018-07-07 10:59

I did try iridium the other day, a chromium like alternative to firefox. Liked it a lot functionally and it seems to run googledocs (spreadsheets etc.) very quickly, other than the initial loading/starting about as quick as running libre scalc locally. The downside for me is that I've used firefox longer term so familiarity and choice of plugins/extensions are all 'easy' whereas with iridium I struggled (unfamiliarity). Another benefit of iridium is that it is Pledged I believe, so more secure (Pledge is OpenBSD's method of monitoring that programs stay within the boundaries of what they're expected to do/use). OBSD also comes with a nightly security check of things, i.e. potential intrusion detection. I do add to that a mtree scan of all bin, sbin, lib, etc ... etc files so any changes result in a checksum mismatch (additional intrusion detection such as if a trojan is piggy-backed on top of a lib).

ruffwoof

Postby Nili » 2018-07-08 18:21

As usual: Openbox with help of Blocks theme by addy-dclxvi | Tint2 | Conky | Compton | URxvt
Nili

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-07-08 18:27

^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.
Wheelerof4te

Postby debiman » 2018-07-08 22:40

thanks ruffwoof and HoaS; the freetype fonts in the screenshots look just as good as on my system!
debiman

Postby Nili » 2018-07-09 06:30

Wheelerof4te wrote:^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.

Thanks mate! Thanks goes to addy-dclxvi aswell, he made it all possible. Background i found on unsplash.com somewhere on the Asian tag. I usually change them often. I don't have much work with configs, but i am keeping a bit this recently.

Regarding font, Iosevka is very good one for both GTK/CLI.
I've been holding it for a while this font, I'm not goin change very soon.

Thanks again!
Regards!
Nili

Postby Linadian » 2018-07-16 13:16

Dear admin, feel free to delete this post.
Last edited by Linadian on 2018-07-19 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Registered User 533946
Linadian

Postby ruffwoof » 2018-07-19 11:41

Seeing this observation by Theo de Raadt, I've been persisting with Iridium and its starting to become all second nature for me now, and I like it, a lot.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819&w=2

OpenBSD + iridium "desktop" (only other installed package is ddclient so the web server's (PC) dynamic IP is associated with a fixed domain name).

I've also started using tmux more now and have my cwm gap at the top of page (that can be left/right mouse clicked to show windows/programs) showing xclock (date and time), along with xload in colours that compare to the tmux bottom of screen panel. Like how you can use tmux for collaborating https://youtu.be/norO25P7xHg and how it enables you to log in, start things off and disconnect (detatch) and return again later and reattach from any ssh supporting device (phone) back into the exact same session again.

Captured the screenshots using xwd and used a online image converter to make them .jpg.

ruffwoof

Postby HuangLao » 2018-07-26 22:01

Salix/Slackware 14.2 with Xfce
Arc-OSX, theme
Papirus-Dark icons
Wallpaper borrowed from Xubuntu liveCD :)
http://i.imgur.com/ymASFfH.png
HuangLao

Postby jezzivi » 2018-07-27 16:37

Septor 2018
Debian - KDE Plasma - Tor

jezzivi

Postby ruffwoof » 2018-07-27 21:15

Saw this wallpaper in another desktop snap, liked it, so adopted it for myself (OpenBSD cwm, iridium web browser)

Mostly use the browser as the launcher

Use if for playing videos/music, viewing PDF's, file browser, calculator (html/javascript), online email, googledocs for office, online image editor. I also have a time html/javascript that I use to show the current date/time in one of the tab titles. 2 pixel gap at the top of the screen so I can pull down the cwm windows/groups/applications menus.

For personal/private docs/data I store them under root and use the console - running tmux and mc (along with calcurse). Looks very similar to the same colour theme as this X snapshot (can't take a direct snapshot of my console).

Generally prefer having each window maximised and toggle between them than having panes and zooming in/out.

I use ddnsfree for a static domain name that points to my (included in base system, along with X ...etc.) httpd server (dynamic IP). Such that my entire desktop is pretty lean, base + handful of other programs.

acer$ pkg_info -mz
calcurse--
ddclient--
feh--
iridium--
mc--

Less than 100 additional progs/libs on top of base OpenBSD. I use openup to keep the base and pre-built binaries that I have installed updated (similar to apt-get update).
ruffwoof

Postby debiman » 2018-07-31 11:02

ruffwoof wrote:Seeing this observation by Theo de Raadt, I've been persisting with Iridium and its starting to become all second nature for me now, and I like it, a lot.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819&w=2

how does this post lead you to using a particular chromium clone?
the post only compares chrome (not -ium!) to firefox. i personally find deRaadt's reply a bit rash; the casual reader could get to the conclusion that he is recommending chrome.

PS: additionally, i don't see what's the sense in being so careful about security and privacy in one's browser, only to then blow it all in the wind by using google's and other cloud services...
debiman

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-08-01 09:11

debiman wrote:i personally find deRaadt's reply a bit rash; the casual reader could get to the conclusion that he is recommending chrome

Theo does recommend www/chromium, their privsep model is the best around and it was the first port to have unveil(2) implemented.

Please post a scrot if you're going to chat, people want to see pretty pictures here :)

I'm stuck with just a Win10 laptop but I have a live image:

Yay!
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby ruffwoof » 2018-08-01 20:42

debiman wrote:PS: additionally, i don't see what's the sense in being so careful about security and privacy in one's browser, only to then blow it all in the wind by using google's and other cloud services...

Casual email, docs ...etc. things I have little concern about privacy/being seen by others. For my secure docs/data they're stored under root and within a encrypted file filesystem, local access only. In addition to OpenBSD's default security/monitoring I also checksum lib's/bin's/sbin's/etc. for better intrusion detection flagging. As a single user desktop setup I have no issues with such separation/usage.

For screenshot (in keeping with the forum), I've added additional console colour by including in .profile ...
Code: Select all
PS1="\[\e[34;1m\]Pwd: \[\e[36m\]\w\n\[\e[31;1m\]\u@\h> \[\e[32m\]"

along with exporting a TERM value set wsvt25. mc gotar theme works well with that IMO. Image is actually a xterm version of that - as I can't snap my console. Other than slightly better looking font under xterm, the colours/looks are the same.

ruffwoof

Postby debiman » 2018-08-02 05:31

ruffwoof wrote:Casual email, docs ...etc. things I have little concern about privacy/being seen by others.
i will never understand statements like this.
i could only repeat my previous question... nevermind.

as per request:

archlinux, openbox, oomox:
debiman

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic