What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby edbarx » 2011-01-06 09:48

When I saw all those beautiful screenshots full of eye candy, I can only say, that despite having a dual core processor with 3 Giga Bytes of RAM, I am still too old fashioned to waste them. In particular, I have a great repulsion for unnecessary processes running in the background just to produce some info on the desktop that I can get by fetching a terminal and typing a command.

KDE4 has lots of eye-candy if I decide to have it, but I prefer function over fashion. Maybe, I am getting too old...
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
User avatar
edbarx
 
Posts: 5388
Joined: 2007-07-18 06:19
Location: 35° 50 N, 14 º 35 E

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby Mr James » 2011-01-06 10:02

edbarx wrote:When I saw all those beautiful screenshots full of eye candy, I can only say, that despite having a dual core processor with 3 Giga Bytes of RAM, I am still too old fashioned to waste them. In particular, I have a great repulsion for unnecessary processes running in the background just to produce some info on the desktop that I can get by fetching a terminal and typing a command.

KDE4 has lots of eye-candy if I decide to have it, but I prefer function over fashion. Maybe, I am getting too old...


Funny, I've noticed that all members that have joined in 2007 share have these points in common. :lol:
E8400 P5QL 4GB 9600GT 1TB 23" 1920x1080 Debian/Wheezy dwm i386*
* found myself pulling in truckloads of multiarch packages, so...
User avatar
Mr James
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: 2010-09-10 13:02

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby traveler » 2011-01-06 14:24

Sometimes I miss windows so much, I have to pretend to still use it. Friggin' sweet...
Image
Now,if I could just replace that stupid L menu with a proper Start button, I'd be golden. Is there a gui tool to do this automatically? The terminal is scary.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
User avatar
traveler
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 2010-06-09 22:07

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby edbarx » 2011-01-06 14:30

Mr James wrote:
edbarx wrote:When I saw all those beautiful screenshots full of eye candy, I can only say, that despite having a dual core processor with 3 Giga Bytes of RAM, I am still too old fashioned to waste them. In particular, I have a great repulsion for unnecessary processes running in the background just to produce some info on the desktop that I can get by fetching a terminal and typing a command.

KDE4 has lots of eye-candy if I decide to have it, but I prefer function over fashion. Maybe, I am getting too old...


Funny, I've noticed that all members that have joined in 2007 share have these points in common. :lol:


That was because in 2007 there was a virus on the forums that affected all new members of that year.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
User avatar
edbarx
 
Posts: 5388
Joined: 2007-07-18 06:19
Location: 35° 50 N, 14 º 35 E

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby traveler » 2011-01-06 14:49

Hannah Montana Linux is a fantastic distro. How can you go wrong when you mix Kubuntu with the greatest artist to ever live? srsly.
Image
Image
Image
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
User avatar
traveler
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 2010-06-09 22:07


Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby traveler » 2011-01-06 15:29

Image


Those are Debian. They belong in the other thread. We want to rock our awesome derivatives here. GTFO! :wink:
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
User avatar
traveler
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 2010-06-09 22:07

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby Rifester » 2011-01-06 15:32

Sorry, I am seriously considering switching to Hannah Montanna Linux.... The people at that forum are way nicer... O-M-G! :wink:
User avatar
Rifester
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 2010-08-15 13:26
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby traveler » 2011-01-06 15:33

Rifester wrote:Sorry, I am seriously considering switching to Hannah Montanna Linux.... The people at that forum are way nicer... O-M-G! :wink:

Yes, but only if you own all the videos and know all the words to her songs. They'll call you out if you don't know your stuff...
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
User avatar
traveler
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 2010-06-09 22:07

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby rivenathos » 2011-01-06 15:43

Hannah Montana is waaaay too pinky-purplish for me. Is there a Pokemon Linux? :wink:
Currently running Debian 9 GNOME on a Dell Inspiron 1545 and a Dell OptiPlex 3010.
User avatar
rivenathos
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 2009-01-09 11:57
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby traveler » 2011-01-06 15:47

rivenathos wrote:Hannah Montana is waaaay too pinky-purplish for me. Is there a Pokemon Linux? :wink:

Pokemon Linux (Pokebuntu) is under heavy development. Selecting the right color scheme and icons has proven to be a challenge for the developers.
Perhaps installing Pokemon Online over HM Linux will suffice for now?
http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/showthread.php?509-How-to-install-Pokemon-Online-%28completely-step-by-step%29-linux
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)
User avatar
traveler
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 2010-06-09 22:07

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby anticapitalista » 2011-01-06 15:50

Guess which OS? :)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
antiX "Killah P" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org
anticapitalista
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-12-14 23:16

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby Hallvor » 2011-01-06 17:31

rivenathos wrote:Hannah Montana is waaaay too pinky-purplish for me. Is there a Pokemon Linux? :wink:


Don't think so, but here is a Pokemon card:

Image
Intel Core i5 3320-M CPU @ 2.60 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Intel HD 4000 graphics, 300 GB HDD, Debian Stretch (KDE)
User avatar
Hallvor
 
Posts: 739
Joined: 2009-04-16 18:35
Location: Norway

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby toto » 2011-01-06 17:35

wb31_1.png
wb31_1.png (49.36 KiB) Viewed 5319 times

wb31_2.png
wb31_2.png (35.02 KiB) Viewed 5319 times

:wink:
toto
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2007-07-25 01:06

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby Bro.Tiag » 2011-01-06 17:58

For the holiday season.
Image
and, for the rest of the year.
Image

Cheers
User avatar
Bro.Tiag
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: 2007-06-02 19:14

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

fashionable