Page 101 of 106

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-24 14:36
by None1975
Nili wrote:Nice move, the same I would do if i get a new machine. I wanted to tell, you've made the right choice, wish you enjoy it, and place anything here :)
Regards,
Nili

Thank you for these warm words. I was about to do it a long time ago, to go to BSD land. When the twelfth version of FreeBsd came out, i made the final decision. Merry Christmas && Happy New Years, Nili!

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-24 20:33
by ruffwoof
to go to BSD land

After Jessie, I moved over to OpenBSD and have no regrets whatsoever. Much more prefer the Unix-like style, never really took to systemD.

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-25 11:40
by Nili
None1975 wrote:Thank you for these warm words. I was about to do it a long time ago, to go to BSD land. When the twelfth version of FreeBsd came out, i made the final decision. Merry Christmas && Happy New Years, Nili!

Yw mate :) Best Wishes and Merry Christmas for you and everyone aswell.

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-27 14:43
by None1975
ruffwoof wrote:After Jessie, I moved over to OpenBSD and have no regrets whatsoever. Much more prefer the Unix-like style, never really took to systemD.

I can't say anything specific about this system, because I haven't tried it and I think on my hardware it won't work in the near future because it doesn't support my graphics card (Nvidia). But I have read a lot about OpenBSD. Many praise it.

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-29 14:51
by Head_on_a_Stick
Image

Dual booting with OpenBSD. No systemd :)

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-29 19:34
by ruffwoof
None1975 wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:After Jessie, I moved over to OpenBSD and have no regrets whatsoever. Much more prefer the Unix-like style, never really took to systemD.

I can't say anything specific about this system, because I haven't tried it and I think on my hardware it won't work in the near future because it doesn't support my graphics card (Nvidia). But I have read a lot about OpenBSD. Many praise it.

I removed my nvidia card to revert to onboard Radeon/ATI. Happy to forward time just avoid nvidia (only purchase hardware that works with OpenBSD). Inclined to avoid Intel as well.

In keeping with this thread ... OpenBSD, cwm, audacious ....
Image
(Love OSS)

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-30 13:37
by Head_on_a_Stick
Image

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-30 13:48
by None1975
ruffwoof wrote:Inclined to avoid Intel as well.

As many people as many opinions.
ruffwoof wrote:audacious ....

Nice analyzers.

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2018-12-30 14:02
by Head_on_a_Stick
ruffwoof wrote:Inclined to avoid Intel as well

Why stop with Intel? The entire x86 architecture is garbage, IMO :mrgreen:

Power9 ftw!

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2019-01-01 10:49
by Head_on_a_Stick
Image

I'm loving OpenIndiana, zfs is awesome and the boot environments seem magical compared to the crude hacks I engineered with btrfs on Linux.

The only problems are that the touchpad on my X201 is recognised as a mouse (so I can't use edge scrolling) and FF is old (ESRv52.9) but otherwise it's very polished and runs well on my hardware.

They even have an NVIDIA blob :o

EDIT: that's prstat(1M) in the foremost terminal: a very useful process monitor:

https://solaris.reys.net/prstat-a-great ... onitoring/

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2019-01-01 12:30
by ruffwoof
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Image
... OpenIndiana ...

The only problems are that the touchpad on my X201 is recognised as a mouse (so I can't use edge scrolling) and FF is old (ESRv52.9) but otherwise it's very polished and runs well on my hardware.

Tried the LiveDVD, very sluggish, didn't pick up my network hardware, initial default root password was opaque.

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2019-01-01 14:07
by Head_on_a_Stick
ruffwoof wrote:initial default root password was opaque

I think it's "openindiana" :)

Strange that your experience wasn't positive, I think their drivers come from OpenBSD and that runs well on your box :?

I do get a thrill out of seeing the SunOS message at start up and all the Solaris specific command line tools are just gorgeous, I love it.

Back on topic with my dwm desktop everybody's sick of by now:

Image

EDIT: check the graphical corruption in the panel, not sure why that happens sometimes, very strange.

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2019-01-02 12:15
by Richard
Enjoying the new release...
Image

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2019-01-19 18:02
by Head_on_a_Stick
Image

Alpine Linux booting with openrc-init 'cos busybox is bloat :mrgreen:

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

PostPosted: 2019-02-03 22:53
by Job
Image

As I am contemplating moving to either FreeBSD or Devuan completely. FreeBSD reminds of Woody or Sarge.