Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

announcement of another debian forum

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Soul Singin'

Re: announcement of another debian forum

#16 Post by Soul Singin' »

nadir wrote:And, on a last note, a wish by me:
forums.debian.net has done a lot of good things to all of us.
It still does a lot of good things.
It is way better than a lot of other forums out there.
Well said. I learned a lot here and greatly appreciate the assistance that so many members of this forum gave me.

phenest wrote:they describe themselves as "the forum for real Debian users". What's that supposed to mean?
It's a tribute to our departed friend RickH. Don't take it personally.

traveler wrote:have a look at the members list over there. Then go through the Help section here and see how many of them are serious contributors.
Just ignore me. I haven't made many contributions lately. I feel bad about that. Hopefully, I will contribute more often in our new space.

oOarthurOo wrote:I wondered why it seemed so much more pleasant around here lately. Thanks for the info and update.
You're an asshole.
oOarthurOo wrote:terms like 'ball-licker'
Maybe there's a reason why people call you a "ball-licker." Have you stopped to ponder that thought?

Back on topic ...

Thank you to everyone who has helped me, given me a good laugh and/or made these forums a great experience for me.

I hope to see you around.

Sincerely,
- Soul Singin'

Tadeas

#17 Post by Tadeas »

What's the point of forking the community? Isn't it easier to ignore trolls (and idiots)?

BTW does freedom mean that it's fine to be rude?
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

Soul Singin'

#18 Post by Soul Singin' »

Tadeas wrote:What's the point of forking the community? Isn't it easier to ignore trolls (and idiots)?
Ignoring them does not work. Trolls will not let you ignore them.

And when people like Arthur insult the community, then the community needs to be able to defend itself. The community should not have to beg a moderator for intervention.

Tadeas wrote:BTW does freedom mean that it's fine to be rude?
Some people need to be told that their comments are unacceptable. If that requires being rude, then so be it. The community needs to be able to defend itself.

Lately, the trolls have aggravated a lot of experienced, knowledgeable people. In an attempt to be impartial, the moderators issued warnings to both the trolls and the gurus. I appreciate the attempt to be even-handed, but the result has been terrible.

The moderators' warnings further alienated the gurus, so they left. Now all that's left around here are the trolls.

It's a shame when a longtime member writes (about this board):
JohnDeere630 wrote:My give-a-crap-o-meter is reading pretty near zero at this point.
JohnDeere630 spent over four years contributing to this board. Penguin Skinner spent over five years here and a little punk who had been here for less than two months drove both of them off.

So we're leaving. We're going someplace where our experience, knowledge and the relationships that we have built are appreciated.

I hope to see you there,
- Soul Singin'

andreas_1

#19 Post by andreas_1 »

"A Place For Real Debian Users" sounds offensive imo. I consider myself a real debian user (using debian and all), but i have a feeling i don't belong there by their definition. I don't know the background of this, that line just caught my eye, so i wanted to say that one thing. Anyway, good luck with the forums, over there and over here.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by Hallvor »

andreas_1 wrote:"A Place For Real Debian Users" sounds offensive imo. I consider myself a real debian user (using debian and all), but i have a feeling i don't belong there by their definition. I don't know the background of this, that line just caught my eye, so i wanted to say that one thing. Anyway, good luck with the forums, over there and over here.
It is a tribute to a former user: http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23

No reason to be offended.

And the background? Dissatisfaction with the way this forum is run: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=348674#p348674
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

MALsPa

#21 Post by MALsPa »

Soul Singin' wrote:So we're leaving. We're going someplace where our experience, knowledge and the relationships that we have built are appreciated.
All of those things were and are appreciated here. But, after taking a look at the other forum, perhaps it's a better place for many people. I don't understand why some folks enjoy being so rude, hateful, mean, insulting, and profane, and that's what I'm seeing over there, that's what stands out more than anything to me. I think it's good that folks who like to be that way have another place to go; however, I don't really believe that many of those same people will be able to resist coming back over here to post negative comments. Time will tell, I guess.

It's sad to lose the expertise of these members. Still, there are lot of very knowledgeable people who will stick around, I'm sure.

andreas_1

#22 Post by andreas_1 »

Hallvor wrote:
andreas_1 wrote:"A Place For Real Debian Users" sounds offensive imo. I consider myself a real debian user (using debian and all), but i have a feeling i don't belong there by their definition. I don't know the background of this, that line just caught my eye, so i wanted to say that one thing. Anyway, good luck with the forums, over there and over here.
It is a tribute to a former user: http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23

No reason to be offended.

And the background? Dissatisfaction with the way this forum is run: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=348674#p348674
I found it offensive as a standalone tagline, which is what i, as an outsider, pointed out, since users who are not familiar with the post in question might be turned away by it. Then again, having read the post in question, i fell even more offended.

EDIT: i should stop posting now.

Mr James

#23 Post by Mr James »

oOarthurOo wrote:
JohnDeere630 wrote:
oOarthurOo wrote:I wondered why it seemed so much more pleasant around here lately. Thanks for the info and update.
:lol: I guess that depends on how you define "pleasant"... :lol:
Lack of terms like 'ball-licker'[1], and calling new people trying Debian 'butnuts'[2]. Enjoy your new playground. I'd much rather you piss in your own sandbox than all over the users here. New and old 'retards' [3] alike.

[1] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... =144#p1877
[2] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... &t=68#p888
[3] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... t=10#p1155
Actually I called new users coming here to tell me how wonderful Ubuntu is and how it is Debian done right and asking for help on how to get Debian setup just like Ubuntu "butnuts". This is because if they love Ubuntu so much and want a system exactly like Ubuntu, they should be using Ubuntu and it's forums.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

TobiSGD

#24 Post by TobiSGD »

andreas_1 wrote:Then again, having read the post in question, i fell even more offended.
May I ask what especially in this post is offending you?

Globetrotter

#25 Post by Globetrotter »

Actually I called new users coming here to tell me how wonderful Ubuntu is and how it is Debian done right and asking for help on how to get Debian setup just like Ubuntu "butnuts". This is because if they love Ubuntu so much and want a system exactly like Ubuntu, they should be using Ubuntu and it's forums.
And how wonderful Debian is calling Ubuntu "butnut" 'or its users "butnuts".

Just accept the fact that there are a lot of people who likes Ubuntu. There are also a lot of people who likes Fedora, or who likes Suse, or Arch Linux, or Slackware, or..... The choice someone makes is based on personal preferences. Don't judge them on that.

Back on-topic: Why is there a need for another Debian forum? There are a lot of Linux forums where you can find Debian users. The information or level of expertise there doesn't match the level of expertise whioch can be found here. And if there's another Debian forum, would useful help and/or information not be scattered?

TobiSGD

#26 Post by TobiSGD »

Globetrotter wrote:Just accept the fact that there are a lot of people who likes Ubuntu. There are also a lot of people who likes Fedora, or who likes Suse, or Arch Linux, or Slackware, or..... The choice someone makes is based on personal preferences. Don't judge them on that.
Nothing wrong with that. But why do they enter this forum and complain that Debian is not working like their preferred distro? It is the same as going to a Chevrolet forum and complaining that they aren't BMWs. In my eyes just trolling around.

Edit:
Globetrotter wrote:
Back on-topic: Why is there a need for another Debian forum?
It is the same like any software project. If a part of the people are not pleased with the way it works, they make a fork to get it work their way.
Last edited by TobiSGD on 2011-02-15 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Globetrotter

#27 Post by Globetrotter »

TobiSGD wrote:Nothing wrong with that. But why do they enter this forum and complain that Debian is not working like their preferred distro? It is the same as going to a Chevrolet forum and complaining that they aren't BMWs. In my eyes just trolling around.
You're making a good point now! That is absolutly unnecessary.
Wether it is trolling or not, i'm not gonna quarrel about that. But i agree with the contents of this.

Mr James

#28 Post by Mr James »

TobiSGD wrote:But why do they enter this forum and complain that Debian is not working like their preferred distro?
Let's ask nomko.

Globetrotter

#29 Post by Globetrotter »

Mr James wrote: Let's ask nomko.
Why doing this? Why start a flamewar again?
That guy is punished by getting a ban.
Leave it there and don't start all over again.

edbarx

#30 Post by edbarx »

I think, threads repeating the same request, for the same trivial information that one can easily get by scanning the www.debian.org website, are a source of frustration to many members, and not just ripe gurus. Having many threads like that, make it more difficult to sift the real information, and ripe members, often used to refer to this, as the signal to noise ratio. Currently, as things stand on this forum, the signal to noise ratio is let to degrade into an unrecognisable clatter just for the sake of political correctness.

I don't condone calling names, insults or whatever one may resort to in a spate of fury, but allowing so many threads, to repeat and repeat often the same trivialities, just because an OP chooses not to read...?

I remember, I did read and I did it for a whole year, before making the actual switch from Windows. I wanted to understand the inner workings of Linux, and now I can even go against what DDs recommend and still get a working and stable installation.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Mr James

#31 Post by Mr James »

Globetrotter wrote:
Mr James wrote: Let's ask nomko.
Why doing this? Why start a flamewar again?
That guy is punished by getting a ban.
Leave it there and don't start all over again.
Providing an example from the board's history is not starting a flame war.

Globetrotter

#32 Post by Globetrotter »

Mr James wrote:starting a flame war.
Okay, maybe it's not starting a flamewar, but it's also not okay to point fingers.

Soul Singin'

#33 Post by Soul Singin' »

MALsPa wrote:after taking a look at the other forum, perhaps it's a better place for many people. I don't understand why some folks enjoy being so rude, hateful, mean, insulting, and profane, and that's what I'm seeing over there, that's what stands out more than anything to me. I think it's good that folks who like to be that way have another place to go; ...
The new forum would not have been created if we weren't having major disagreements with the moderators here, so what you're looking at is the anger that drove people to set up the new forum.

In time, that anger will subside and a lot of good knowledge will be generated on the new forum.
Globetrotter wrote:Why is there a need for another Debian forum? There are a lot of Linux forums where you can find Debian users. The information or level of expertise there doesn't match the level of expertise whioch can be found here.
You are mistaken. The most knowledgeable members of this forum have just packed their bags and left.
Globetrotter wrote:Okay, maybe it's not starting a flamewar, but it's also not okay to point fingers.
I'm pointing a finger at the guy who hasn't even been here a week. That's you, Globetrotter. You haven't been around here long enough to judge the members here.

AMLJ

#34 Post by AMLJ »

I'm not surprised at all that it feels much more pleasant over there... Guess you haven't made an account there yet...
Please join! You might even become the next chick there (sounds a bit homo, but it can happen)... Members will decide where you need to go! 8)
Tadeas wrote:BTW does freedom mean that it's fine to be rude?
You can discuss it there... What will be done? What members want to be done!
So far, nobody has whined about rude things (if there's any)... You can join and be the first one to do so! :lol:
oOarthurOo wrote:Lack of terms like 'ball-licker'[1], and calling new people trying Debian 'butnuts'[2]. Enjoy your new playground. I'd much rather you piss in your own sandbox than all over the users here. New and old 'retards' [3] alike.

[1] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... =144#p1877
[2] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... &t=68#p888
[3] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... t=10#p1155
Dude, you must go there a bit more... You missed one word... Come one, stop playing with the towel and take a look here: http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... =144#p1877
Last edited by AMLJ on 2011-02-15 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
AMLJ**0-1-47

Globetrotter

#35 Post by Globetrotter »

Soul Singin' wrote: I'm pointing a finger at the guy who hasn't even been here a week. That's you, Globetrotter. You haven't been around here long enough to judge the members here.
Maybe you're rigth, but i'm here long enough to notice that it is normal on this forum to hold any kind of grudge towards members who crossed the line. I've done some reading here which can't be avoided due to all the so called "examples" given by links.

I stop right here and now cause i sence a feeling of that it might go to the wrong direction here. I'll continue helping members here but stay far away from this topic.