Your reactions when you first tried GNU/Linux.

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Your reactions when you first tried GNU/Linux.

Postby craigevil » 2011-07-07 00:50

sossego wrote:And what happened to my post on here? Does somebody have an ingrown hair or two on their sphincter?

See if you can answer my question before deleting my post.

It doesn't hurt to have a sense of humor even if it is perverse. Look up the definition of perverse before making an assumption on the meaning.

It went the way of quite a few of your posts lately that were offtopic, flaming, vulgar, rude, obscene, or worse ; it was moved to spam.

If you feel like your post/ thread has been locked, edited or even removed in error please contact the moderator team via e-mail at team@forums.debian.net.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Postby sossego » 2011-07-07 01:36

craigevil wrote:
sossego wrote:And what happened to my post on here? Does somebody have an ingrown hair or two on their sphincter?

See if you can answer my question before deleting my post.

It doesn't hurt to have a sense of humor even if it is perverse. Look up the definition of perverse before making an assumption on the meaning.

It went the way of quite a few of your posts lately that were offtopic, flaming, vulgar, rude, obscene, or worse ; it was moved to spam.

If you feel like your post/ thread has been locked, edited or even removed in error please contact the moderator team via e-mail at team@forums.debian.net.

The semicolon should be a "n dash" in the sentence
craigevil wrote:It went the way of quite a few of your posts lately that were offtopic, flaming, vulgar, rude, obscene, or worse ; it was moved to spam.
The semicolon is used before the conjunction in a compound sentence and to denote an action which follows another in complex sentences. What reason lays for choosing the redundant adjectives of vulgar, rude, and obscene when "socially unacceptable and taboo" would have been more descriptive?

craigevil wrote:If you feel like your post/ thread has been locked, edited or even removed in error please contact the moderator team via e-mail at team@forums.debian.net.
Feel should be replaced with believe or think. A comma is needed after edited. Between error and please, you need to either have a comma or the word then.

A gente nunca para quiexando.

It would be best for you to go ahead and close my account before my madness affects the gentle masses.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.
sossego

Postby linuxforever00 » 2011-07-07 09:37

Back in 2006 I was fed up with XP and wanted a newer OS so I searched Linux in Google I actually ended up with Knoppix first, forget which version but I remember reading not recommended for HD install. So I searched again found Ubuntu 6.06 at first I thought this is cool, kind of looks like a MAC for PC. lol.

All went well during install I had to dual boot after I found out my crappy Lexmark printer at the time was not supported waited 3 months for a driver to be released and I eventually just got rid of it and got a HP Officejet all-in-one 4500 which I still use today.

Other than the printer everything was smooth. :twisted:
Debian 6.0 AMD64 64-bit 2GB Ram 250gb hard drive XFCE 4.6 Squeeze
linuxforever00

Postby Llewton » 2011-07-07 12:41

it was puppy!
cos it came on a live cd when such distros hardly existed. as far as i knew.
what happened is i saw our IT dept guys run these linuxes and i wanted to try it too but was too much of a coward to install directly to HD :D
my reaction to puppy: i loved it.
except i couldn't get my dialup modem to work :lol:
so it was on to other things. i distro-hopped quite frantically for a short while.
then used a slew of customized debians, starting with knoppix, and ran ubuntu for two weeks at one point.
coming to debian was the natural result of the progress, and when i discovered minimal installs that allowed me to set up my own system to
exactly how i like it, that was it. the final linux destination.
Llewton

Postby meho_r » 2011-07-07 14:20

Loading CD from a German IT magazine containing full installation of Mandrake 8 (I think) > (curious) > Running installation procedure > Installation complete (nice!) > KDE loaded (wow!) > Alice in Wonderland > Not for me, none of apps I'm using is there > uninstall > Hey, where did my Windows go?!
meho_r

Postby qjqqyy » 2011-07-07 14:27

sossego wrote:A gente nunca para quiexando.

Do you know that you look stupid when you randomly pick a language that is neither your nor the board’s native, and no one else is using it but you?
Who are you trying to impress?
qjqqyy

Postby sossego » 2011-07-08 18:07

qjqqyy wrote:

Do you know that you look stupid when you randomly pick a language that is neither your nor the board’s native, and no one else is using it but you?
Do you know that "your" should be "yours" in the question I quoted? Are you aware that you need an item after "your" in the quoted question? Have you wondered what my screen name means or are you just wantonly ignorant? I am Brazilian-Paraguayan-American. Portuguese is one of my native languages.
qjqqyy wrote:Who are you trying to impress?
You would not hear me complaining if you used Chinese. Meu caro cabeçudo, pense antes falando bobagem.
sossego

Postby nadir » 2011-07-08 21:24

qjqqyy wrote:

Who are you trying to impress?

And do you know that _you_ look stupid if you just joined a board and start to tell long-time members what to do?
Besides that its not randomly, but you would knew it if the first sentence would not be case.
The boards native language is Dutch, btw. :wink: That is what flagfox says.
It has to do with history (in case i am correct it was created to make something similar to the German Debian-forum, but English. At that time the other forum was useful, but if you didn't speak German, which most Dutch people do, it did not help... hence an English board. Not sure where i read that though).
I got a good one too:
"Alle sind gleich, alle denken gleich. Wer anders ist: Geh freiwillig in's Irrenhaus" F. Nietzsche, 1844-1900. Impressive?

----------------
My first reaction to Gnu/Linux? I removed it again. Was it bad? No. I rebooted after i had installed with ubuntu/woobi (spelling) and have seen a boot screen for my first time, so it scared me. But a week later i decided to try again. Then i was confused by all the choices (distributions, environments, programs), but i liked it. After two months of picking one distro after the other, sometimes several installations during one night, i picked two distros and one environment which i liked.
I discovered it in a magazine in the local library, btw (while searching for magazines which contain infos and apps of Windows, as i just bought a PC and had not internet connection). I think that was 2007.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
nadir

Postby Roel63 » 2011-07-09 09:34

nadir wrote:The boards native language is Dutch, btw. :wink: That is what flagfox says.

Why am I the last to know this?? :shock:

My first reactions when installing Ubuntu 7.10 were: geezzz this is ugly, but man, what is this fast!!
Then I changed the colours, tried the Linux alternatives to the well-known MS suites and all, and was hooked.

Then I went into the cli after missing MS-DOS commands for more than 10 years and I was happy 8)
Roel63

Postby smallchange » 2011-07-09 15:21

I first installed linux from a cd in "The Linux Bible" in 1994. The computer was a Compaq 486 60 MHz with 16 MB of RAM. The distribution was Workgroup Solutions, a Redhat knockoff with kernel 0.93. My first reaction was, "Man I have a lot to learn and freeware is a great opportunity to learn." After 14 years as a Linux and Unix sysadmin I still have that reaction very often.
smallchange

Postby qjqqyy » 2011-07-10 03:34

sossego wrote:Have you wondered what my screen name means or are you just wantonly ignorant? I am Brazilian-Paraguayan-American. Portuguese is one of my native languages.

Bad grammer aside, I understand that shit can be relatively quiet and peaceful. Also, your native language is not the board's native language.

sossego wrote: You would not hear me complaining if you used Chinese. Meu caro cabeçudo, pense antes falando bobagem.

The correct verb is "see", not "hear".

请不要用别人的语法错误掩饰自己生命的失败(和小弟弟的大小),这是很笨的行为。
---
To the rest of the board:
English-Chinese translaters are really broken, so don't bother translating.
qjqqyy

Postby sossego » 2011-07-11 01:41

The browser isn't rendering any of the characters properly- Perhaps this is due to me not installing them.
Edit: I read it.
Please do not use someone else's grammar mistakes to cover up the failure of his life (and the little brother of the size), which is stupid behavior.

This isn't the place to ask another man on a date. I don't go that route.

I used socially unacceptable expletives in a positive manner. That was my reaction to using Linux for the first time.
sossego

Postby cage47 » 2011-07-11 12:49

Heh, I had a motherboard that did NOT like Windows 95 about as much as I didn't. I needed a via chipset driver to work properly and it would only last a couple weeks and it would "loose" the driver. No idea. Well I installed a base install from 8 downloaded Debian Slink floppies. And got TOTALLY confused at the file structure. (What is / what is /lib what is /bin ????) So I went on cheapbytes (they still around) picked up Corel Linux. Got an idea for the file structure there. But never, and I mean NEVER got my soundblaster working. Then popped in my Mandrake 7 cd and it was like jumping off a go=kart and hopping into warp drive on the Enterprise (I'm allowed to geek out once in a while). And once I figured out how to get Star office, there was no looking back!
Bill "Elmer F.U.D." Gates says, "Be veh-we veh-we quiet. I'm hunting PENGUINS. HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUH!"
cage47

Postby qjqqyy » 2011-07-11 12:55

sossego wrote:I used socially unacceptable expletives in a positive manner. That was my reaction to using Linux for the first time.

There is no point in using socially unacceptable expletives in a positive manner.
qjqqyy

Postby sneakycamper » 2011-07-11 15:59

qjqqyy wrote:
sossego wrote:I used socially unacceptable expletives in a positive manner. That was my reaction to using Linux for the first time.

There is no point in using socially unacceptable expletives in a positive manner.

He is probably trying to be funny and failing miserably as usual. A weirdo like him will have no idea what is socially acceptable and what is not.
sneakycamper

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic