Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Video with a good overview of free software and open source

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
jobezone

Video with a good overview of free software and open source

#1 Post by jobezone »

Found this video, which you'll find interesting, both old and new people coming to free software can learn with this, I think.
It's a panel discussion that happened at the World Summit for the Information Society last year (the one where Richard Stallman wrapped his RFID badge with aluminum foil as a protest). Richard Stallman, Bruce Perens, a guy from Intel, a UN person and Mark Shuttleworth speak and debate (against the Intel guy, which is also a lobbyist for "freedom of choice"). Richard's talk was excellent! Also interesting was the UN person, which came just after the Intel guy, and smashed his arguments about proprietary software increasing the wealth of developing countries, with real studies and reports which stated the oposite.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0239078625
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

jobezone

Re: Video with a good overview of free software and open sou

#2 Post by jobezone »

And yes, I see the irony of having to install non-free software to view this video .... If anyone finds another place where it may be, speak out.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

Mr_Smiley

#3 Post by Mr_Smiley »

Hello,

I just watched this. Very interesting, thanks for posting it.
Also, I was able to watch this video without installing non-free software. There is a download link on the web page you posted which gives you an avi. This played fine for me using free software.

Thanks!

DeanLinkous

#4 Post by DeanLinkous »

Thanks for sharing....

ajdlinux

#5 Post by ajdlinux »

How big is the AVI? Google seems to be running this on one of those webservers that doesn't tell the client the content length first.

Guessing that it's 1.5 hrs, I would assume 300mb isn't unreasonable.

Does someone have a torrent of this or something?

jobezone

#6 Post by jobezone »

ajdlinux wrote:How big is the AVI? Google seems to be running this on one of those webservers that doesn't tell the client the content length first.

Guessing that it's 1.5 hrs, I would assume 300mb isn't unreasonable.

Does someone have a torrent of this or something?
I downloaded it the other day, and it's 332.3 MB.

Grifter

#7 Post by Grifter »

a couple of friends and i sitting in irc one day discovered a funny thing with google video, if you try to download it with windows you'll get a special google-video-format, which you need a "special google player" to play, but if you're on linux and you download the same file, you get an avi in either divx or xvid, i don't know if this extends to everything on there, but it was true for the videos we tried out

all the windows users were mighty jealous ;p
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

DeanLinkous

#8 Post by DeanLinkous »

About time we got special treatment :)
yea it is about 300+ MB and I would of loved to see it go a few more hours and really heat up the debate....that one poor guy was getting flustered quick. Yea closed source is really about choice, sure it is and RMS will let you spout crap like that - NOT! :)