Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mutt vs Pine

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lou

Mutt vs Pine

#1 Post by Lou »

I found this during a search (mutt vs pine). I think it was funny!

Aug 28, 2003 1:20 PM from GoNINzo
mutt is like pine, but for geeks.
It's a lot more flexible, not as easy to configure, and is still in development. `8r) Plus, it supports pgp, gpg, and lots of other standards.

So, if you don't consider yourself a unix geek, sure pine is fine. But if you want to be hardcore... `8r)

(Note: Being 'hardcore' usually means sacrificing ease of use for performance/flexibility, doing things the correct but most difficult way, and turning a date with the hot chick in your calc class because you have a 'killer D&D game that night.' So no, it's not always good. heh)
----------------

Aug 28, 2003 4:07 PM from Grog
I hardly think what mail program you use should be a measure of how skilled you are as a computer dork. Just because someone *gasp* uses something a little more user-friendly at the expense of a few features or development opportunities, it doesn't mean that person can't possibly have any technical expertise.

This all comes down to how much of a hassle you want to make your routine tasks in the name of, well, I don't know. "Which ___ is best" often turns into one person trying to out-geek another, and it really doesn't solve anything. E.g., the famous editor wars:

"I use pico."
"Hah! Pico. You are lame. Get a real editor, like emacs."
"Emacs isn't pre-installed on Unix systems. Real geeks use vi."
"Oh yeah? I do everything with ed!"
"Well, **** that, I just use cat."
"That's nothing. I edit my system's raw partition directly."
"You're not a real hacker until you've manually sent electronic signals with a couple of batteries over your keyboard's wires by hand."
"But you have to use a pre-fabricated power source. I shuffle along the floor and discharge my information through static electricity directly onto the wiretraces of my motherboard. And you have to be very skilled to not to cause ESD damage."

Pine is great for me because I'm safe from stupid attachments, and I do it in a terminal window (along with a lot of other things). But I hardly recommend it to most people, let alone everyone.