Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What Sucks About DEs, pt. III: Kubuntu's KDE

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lou

What Sucks About DEs, pt. III: Kubuntu's KDE

#1 Post by Lou »

http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=1 ... reshold=-1

Introduction:
"This is the 3rd installment in my series on deficiencies in common desktop environments. After GNOME and the Mac/MacOS, it is now KDE's turn. As with the other installments, this is a rant. Beware."

The first two articles (about macos and gnome) are linked. They are very interesting to say the least, and more interesting: the posts from the readers. :lol:
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

DeanLinkous

#2 Post by DeanLinkous »

well at least he warns you it is a rant :)

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by Lavene »

He does have some good points. It's just that he talks about the Kubuntu desktop, not the 'original' KDE. And Kubuntu *is* really bad.

I'm using KDE almost exclusively but still I'm unable to feel 'at home' in Kubuntu. It's ugly and somewhat dumbed down to a point that makes it unfair to use it to review the KDE desktop.

But what makes the entire thing laughable to me is the following statement:
A picture says more than a thousand words. Please enlighten me; how, exactly, is a Windows or Mac user supposed to use this abomination of a user interface?
He is aboviously just another bozo thinking that Linux is suposed to look, behave and feel like Windows and if it doesen't it's unusable. Although the Adept GUI leaves alot to be desired it's not difficult to use *if* you know Linux. And he really need to learn the stuff he is 'reviewing' since he doesen't seem to know that there are just one password in Ubuntu.

It seem to me that the entire article has no other purpose than to draw flames on OSnews... which really isn't that hard to do anyway.

Tina :)

DeanLinkous

#4 Post by DeanLinkous »

I guess he has some good points :wink: just a lot of them are preferences instead of points IMO

B1GfOot

#5 Post by B1GfOot »

While he is harsh, I believe it may be necessary to draw light to some things that others have been too scared to mention. KDE has a terrible level of consistency, in my opinion, and I find it hard to accomplish anything with any great degree of certainty in it.

I do not mean to to cause flame amongst KDE users, I just think they could benefit from setting a more coherent standard for their applications, gnome style. That is not to say that gnome couldnt learn a few things from kde though.

Oh by the way I'm new to Debian, converted from slackware after about a year of using it. So far I have found Debian to be absolutely brilliant.

Keep up the good work Debian!

SpEcIeS

#6 Post by SpEcIeS »

Lavene wrote:Kubuntu *is* really bad.

I'm using KDE almost exclusively but still I'm unable to feel 'at home' in Kubuntu. It's ugly and somewhat dumbed down to a point that makes it unfair to use it to review the KDE desktop.

Adept GUI leaves alot to be desired it's not difficult to use *if* you know Linux.
I would have to agree with you on this. Kubuntu is not a very good distro and I usually will only recommend Ubuntu to new linux users. Kubuntu has a long way to go.

The installation process has a habit of erroring, which I feel is not a good example of a linux distro. It is not a good conversion pitch to a new user if upon install, and the individual is watching, that the installation process either crashes or puckes out errors. :roll:

IMO Adept is a joke and should be overhauled or scrapped. The first thing I do when installing Kubuntu for someone is kill that mess and install Synaptic.

Now that being said, I really like Ubuntu and the path they are taking, however I got fed up with it for my personal system and when for straight for the source. Debian. After all that is what Ubuntu is. :D
SpEcIeS

Debian: Jessie
Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64

StarsAndBars14

#7 Post by StarsAndBars14 »

Well. . .yeah. That DE DOES suck!

<---- former Kubuntu user

It isn't only the installation process that has a habit of breaking down, but KDM itself. I can't count the number of times for me that its engaged in what amounts to a controlled crash when I click the "Shut Down" or "Restart" buttons.