Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian/Ubuntu dual boot?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
muhkayoh

Debian/Ubuntu dual boot?

#1 Post by muhkayoh »

Hello,

I'm a very recent convert from Windows. Last week I dumped Windows for Ubuntu and have for the most part enjoyed it. I've been looking at pure Debian, however, and think I might like to try it along side of the Ubuntu (which I understand is built or based on Debian).

Can I do a dual boot install for Debian and Ubuntu?

And, while I'm asking, would Debian be an appropriate version of Linux for someone who wants to create his own animated movies? Right now I'm using Inkscape, Gimp, and Cinelerra (still in the learning phase on that one) to put together a workflow for producing original animations (for TV/DVD). Would I gain anything for this kind of task by switching to Debian? For instance, I note that Ubuntu Dapper seems to have some sort of video card bug that causes color problems; would I be as likely to have such an issue in Debian? And would Debian be faster for this kind of work overall?

Thanks for any guidance,

Matt Jordan

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

You can dual boot them, you just need to partition it. The debian installer will detect other OSes, including Ubuntu.

The programs you mentioned are available for Debian as well, there are more when you add more unofficial repositories.