Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"daemon" term & explatives in code

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
nadir

Re: "daemon" term & explatives in code

#16 Post by nadir »

gomanutd wrote:no, basic history...
If you mention the word history you should first of all do a short check somewhere
(there is a brand new tool called wikipedia. Interesting projcet... you might want to try it once)
A demon (or daemon, from Ancient Greek, δαίμων daímōn), is a supernatural being from various religions, occultisms, literatures, and folklores that is described as something that is not human and, in ordinary (almost universal) usage, malevolent. The original neutral Greek word "daimon" does not carry the negative connotation initially understood by implementation of the Koine (Hellenistic and New Testament Greek) δαιμόνιον (daimonion),[1] and later ascribed to any cognate words sharing the root, originally intended to denote a spirit or spiritual being.
And hence any dictionary which is worth the name should give you something around the lines of:
demon ~ noun uncommon
1. an evil supernatural being
2. a cruel wicked and inhuman person
3. someone extremely diligent or skillful
he worked like a demon to finish the job on time; she's a demon at math
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

gomanutd

#17 Post by gomanutd »

but nadir, you searched for the wrong word.

in terms of linux it's the greek word daemon NOT DEMON. the two have different connotations..
Something witty goes here...

dbruce

#18 Post by dbruce »

I've noticed I've been listening to more and more Judas Priest and Black Sabbath since switching to Debian. Makes you wonder.... :twisted: I'm also feeling the temptation of FreeBSD ... Beastie has Tux beat all to hell. OMG, did I just say that! :shock:

dasein

#19 Post by dasein »

dbruce wrote:I'm also feeling the temptation of FreeBSD ...
Devilish!

craigevil

#20 Post by craigevil »

Daemon (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(computing)

Daemon (classical mythology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(cl ... mythology)
The words dæmon and daimôn are Latinized spellings of the Greek "δαίμων", a reference to the daemons of Ancient Greek religion and mythology, as well as later Hellenistic religion and philosophy.[1] Daemons are good or benevolent nature spirits beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Randicus

#21 Post by Randicus »

I do not know why anyone bothered to reply to the original post with anything other than :lol: . After the OP's second post, when he wrote "Nothing pre-dates Christianity.", it is painfully obvious that the person is an imbecile. Nothing anyone writes has a chance of influencing the thoughts of such cretins. Even when trolls post something reasonably intelligent, the response is "Do not feed the troll." So why is this thread two pages long?
Just a thought. :wink:

nadir

#22 Post by nadir »

gomanutd wrote:but nadir, you searched for the wrong word.

in terms of linux it's the greek word daemon NOT DEMON. the two have different connotations..
If you speak of the greek word daemon i don't know what your problem is at all. See my quote from above.

You used the word in a non-historic meaning (in the meaning we usually know today, wich is the Christian version), and then said "basic history".
Believe it or not, but there has been a history long before the Christian one, and there will be a history after it too.
That is why i posted what i posted (that it once meant something very different, and yes, it was spelled different too).
I only showed that you asked for basic history while missing a historic reasoning yourself.
So no: i did _not_ search for the wrong word. The whole purpose of my post was to show their origin
("origin" is another voodoo-word of the platonic-christian mythology, but right now i lack a better one).

At the end of the day that does not matter much. If you don't like the usage of the word, which version ever:
"You want it done? Do it yourself"
is another saying. That is what i propose as the most easy solution.
I don't think that i use the word at all, but rather "services", so for me it is no problem at all (whatever meaning is meant with it).

62chevy

#23 Post by 62chevy »

Trying to rename daemon is no different that others that want to change Merry Christmas to happy holidays. Same bigotry.
Debian Buster

edbarx

#24 Post by edbarx »

I love the word DAEMON for it makes me remember of /boot/vmlinuz-*: the evil process that never shows its interface but is there doing irreparable damage to my system with its dirty tricks. Even if I fail to pass it a valid root file system at boot, it is so devilish, that it presents a damned shell of its own without bothering to searh for the right one! :twisted:

I am so convinced of the OP's arguments that I will do a complete rewrite of KDE, remove all the daemons which inflict it with their temptations and place everything in one single file correctly named kde-angel-of-trouble! I hope daemon developers agree to use an angel instead of a hell of daemons! :mrgreen:
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

saulgoode

#25 Post by saulgoode »

@nadir, I believe you are responding to the wrong the poster. gomanutd is not the original poster of this thread nor has anything he's stated ignored the ancient Greek origins of the term 'daemon' -- quite the opposite, that was the point he was making.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

carabela

#26 Post by carabela »

Daemon is to Demon what Paediatrician is to Pediatrician

The correct English spelling of 'Demon' is Daemon (Dæmon), it's pretty much as simple as that. Though in Christianity the later term has been associated with malevolence.

A Daemon is pretty much exactly what wikipedia says it is. Like most other creatures of greek/classical mythology (such as fauns and satires etc) they were demonised in order to wipe out the old religions and implant Christianity more firmly. The old religions, deities, practices, etc were either absorbed (as with Yuletide, Easter, etc) or denounced as "witchcraft".

BowCatShot

#27 Post by BowCatShot »

There exists an old IBM, or Microsoft term, "TSR", for "terminate and stay resident. I think that might be a synonym for "daemon".

By the way, those of you who are making fun of the poster's concerns would be howling to high heaven if, instead of "daemon" daemons were named "queer" or "faggot".

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

:lol:
"Your pc has a bunch of faggots lurking in the background, doing things!"

or you could fork your queer and send it back into the closet ...

I think that might fly - daemons are so last century!. I propose a new derivative distro - I'll call it Gaybuntu.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

nadir

#29 Post by nadir »

saulgoode wrote:@nadir, I believe you are responding to the wrong the poster. gomanutd is not the original poster of this thread nor has anything he's stated ignored the ancient Greek origins of the term 'daemon' -- quite the opposite, that was the point he was making.
You are right, i got confused (and not just a bit, but terribly. What i wrote above, or rather at who, is utter nonsense, once saulgoode pointed the problem out).
Sorry, my fault.
(right now i got hard times to figure out who said what and why, but i made a fault, and it can only get worse, so i stop here).

notthatguy

#30 Post by notthatguy »

Do you also go into titty bars and complain that they are disrespecting your faith by making you look at tittys?

If you walk into a location that has booze and tittys do you tell them they should remove the booze and tittys so that they respect your faith?

My great grandmother did not belive in drinking anything with caffeine. She simply drank water when whe visited neighbors instead of telling them they needed to throw out all products with caffeine in order to respect her faith.

Where am I going with this.....not sure....anyway...

traveler

#31 Post by traveler »

I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

dasein

#32 Post by dasein »

BowCatShot wrote:By the way, those of you who are making fun of the poster's concerns would be howling to high heaven if, instead of "daemon" daemons were named "queer" or "faggot".
A) Not me, and
B) This is more properly analogous to someone getting all PC and huffy about use of the term fagot

That said, Randidus' point (to wit):
Randicus wrote:Even when trolls post something reasonably intelligent, the response is "Do not feed the troll." So why is this thread two pages long?
Just a thought. :wink:
is quite well taken. So hey...

Don't feed the troll

dbruce

#33 Post by dbruce »

dasein wrote:
BowCatShot wrote:By the way, those of you who are making fun of the poster's concerns would be howling to high heaven if, instead of "daemon" daemons were named "queer" or "faggot".
A) Not me, and
B) This is more properly analogous to someone getting all PC and huffy about use of the term fagot
Well, wait a second ... what's a delicious Welsh dish got to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28food%29

BTW I'm glad to see craigevil joined in this discussion. Sounds like someone who knows his daemons and demons well. :mrgreen:

confuseling

#34 Post by confuseling »

BowCatShot wrote:...By the way, those of you who are making fun of the poster's concerns would be howling to high heaven if, instead of "daemon" daemons were named "queer" or "faggot".
I have some gay friends who would be offended by software called 'faggots'. Some who would just find it amusing.

No daemons, unfortunately, were available for comment; I refute it thus.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

notthatguy

#35 Post by notthatguy »

notthatguy wrote:Do you also go into titty bars and complain that they are disrespecting your faith by making you look at tittys?

If you walk into a location that has booze and tittys do you tell them they should remove the booze and tittys so that they respect your faith?

My great grandmother did not belive in drinking anything with caffeine. She simply drank water when whe visited neighbors instead of telling them they needed to throw out all products with caffeine in order to respect her faith.

Where am I going with this.....not sure....anyway...
I reserve the right to quote myself since I got stuck with the last post on a page that was quickly buried by those waiting for someone to make the last post on a page so they could grab the first post on the new page... :P