Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"daemon" term & explatives in code

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
traveler

Re: "daemon" term & explatives in code

#31 Post by traveler »

I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

dasein

#32 Post by dasein »

BowCatShot wrote:By the way, those of you who are making fun of the poster's concerns would be howling to high heaven if, instead of "daemon" daemons were named "queer" or "faggot".
A) Not me, and
B) This is more properly analogous to someone getting all PC and huffy about use of the term fagot

That said, Randidus' point (to wit):
Randicus wrote:Even when trolls post something reasonably intelligent, the response is "Do not feed the troll." So why is this thread two pages long?
Just a thought. :wink:
is quite well taken. So hey...

Don't feed the troll

dbruce

#33 Post by dbruce »

dasein wrote:
BowCatShot wrote:By the way, those of you who are making fun of the poster's concerns would be howling to high heaven if, instead of "daemon" daemons were named "queer" or "faggot".
A) Not me, and
B) This is more properly analogous to someone getting all PC and huffy about use of the term fagot
Well, wait a second ... what's a delicious Welsh dish got to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28food%29

BTW I'm glad to see craigevil joined in this discussion. Sounds like someone who knows his daemons and demons well. :mrgreen:

confuseling

#34 Post by confuseling »

BowCatShot wrote:...By the way, those of you who are making fun of the poster's concerns would be howling to high heaven if, instead of "daemon" daemons were named "queer" or "faggot".
I have some gay friends who would be offended by software called 'faggots'. Some who would just find it amusing.

No daemons, unfortunately, were available for comment; I refute it thus.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

notthatguy

#35 Post by notthatguy »

notthatguy wrote:Do you also go into titty bars and complain that they are disrespecting your faith by making you look at tittys?

If you walk into a location that has booze and tittys do you tell them they should remove the booze and tittys so that they respect your faith?

My great grandmother did not belive in drinking anything with caffeine. She simply drank water when whe visited neighbors instead of telling them they needed to throw out all products with caffeine in order to respect her faith.

Where am I going with this.....not sure....anyway...
I reserve the right to quote myself since I got stuck with the last post on a page that was quickly buried by those waiting for someone to make the last post on a page so they could grab the first post on the new page... :P

Absent Minded

#36 Post by Absent Minded »

Really? We are going to (A) Have this discussion here and (B) Also bother to report such nonsence as a "smily"? Since this thread is discussing religion and sexuality, I am locking it. Neither have a place here. I would wish you all a merry Christmas but... You know.. so instead, Happy Holodays for those having one.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012