Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

traces of yamanner yahoo e-mail

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
redchair

traces of yamanner yahoo e-mail

#1 Post by redchair »

I was wondering, did anybody here become "infected' by the yahoo email virus "yamanner"?
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/13/1226209

Will the yamanner e-mail appear in the victim's "sent folder'? The information on the net varies. I am especially curious about whether the email forwards itself immediately using the yahoo e-mail address of the victim (from his account).

Please disregard the symantec "vulernable platforms" list. There are plenty of sources that say that linux and Mac OSX, BSD, etc should be vulnerable too (slashdot link above). This is due to the javascript implementation and the source of the vulnerability being Yahoo itself and their web application. Yes, I know that slashdot is not always the best information source, but this worm, which is very serious seems to be getting very little original investigation and discussion. Note the huge number of copied news articles in a web search, but careful searching shows many people declare cross-platoform vulnerability.

On a side note, I use windows and linux and mac os X, and Yahoo mail on all three platforms, and this is why I am especially worried, and this is also why this is in the offtopic section.
Last edited by redchair on 2006-07-02 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by Lavene »

Grifter wrote:
Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
What a surprice! ;)

Tina

redchair

#4 Post by redchair »

Ach, sorry to the posters above, I forgot to mention that the symantec advisory may be wrong. And plenty of people are discussing vulnerability on other platofrms online. Symantec is adding to the problem here by basically getting their security advisory spammed onto every site in existance (myself posting it too (now deleted)). Please check out the new first message in this topic.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#5 Post by Lavene »

Sorry... I didn't mean to sound cocky.

I really haven't looked into it. I haven't used web based mail for years... I stoped using hotmail long before I switched to GNU/ Linux and the habit kinda stuck. I just don't feel komfortable reading mail using a program that's designed to run all kind of scripts/ programs/ add-ons.

Using a mail client I'm atleast in controll of how mails are read, and all my mail is opened as pure text. Kinda annoying when I get the occational html mail, but atleast I know I'll get no nasty surprices. Funny how paranoid you get after a lifetime with MS software... :P

Tina

Grifter

#6 Post by Grifter »

I totally agree lavene, btw you wouldn't happen to want to start coding elmo by any chance? development stopped on it, but it's just such a pleasant mail client even though it is pretty full of bugs (:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

Grifter wrote:I totally agree lavene, btw you wouldn't happen to want to start coding elmo by any chance? development stopped on it, but it's just such a pleasant mail client even though it is pretty full of bugs (:
That's a bit out of my league I'm afraid. I don't know C very well... Python is my language and even there I'm lagging behind. Getting old and lazy I guess.

Besides:
Looks like the poor fellow has given up :P

Tina

Grifter

#8 Post by Grifter »

Aw hehe, yeah it does look like it, but I'll prolly be using elmo for a long time anyway. With other mail clients it was just such a chore to read mail, but with elmo it feels great (:

ajdlinux

#9 Post by ajdlinux »

Lavene wrote:Python is my language and even there I'm lagging behind. Getting old and lazy I guess.
Someone should recode it in Python then, I hate C, and C++, and basically every language except for PHP and Python.