Distrowatch

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Do you still check out Distrowatch?

Yes, all the time
21%
No, not anymore
10%
Once a week
13%
Once a month
12%
Once every few months, give or take.
25%
Only for Distrowatch Weekly.
1%
Never did.
13%
What is Distrowatch...
3%

Total votes : 67

Re: Distrowatch

Postby MALsPa » 2012-04-17 05:06

The Page Hit Rankings are a joke. What I like about the site is DistroWatch Weekly (and the comments section), news about distro releases, and that the site is a good place to get a little info about various distros. For example: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian
MALsPa

Postby dasein » 2012-04-17 05:27

Distrowatch serves a useful purpose, I think.

It helps bring a little order to the chaos, helping folks who are newly interested in Linux to reduce the number of candidate distros to a manageable level.

The HPD stats are not (and never have been) representative of anything, and DW freely admits that. And it is possible to "game" the HPD stats, although I confess I neither know nor care exactly how one does it. But it's been done before, and it will no doubt be done again.

I don't actually visit DW much anymore, though I still subscribe to their RSS feed, just as a way of knowing what's new and exciting in LinuxLand.
dasein

Postby iceman » 2012-04-17 06:11

MALsPa wrote:The Page Hit Rankings are a joke. What I like about the site is DistroWatch Weekly (and the comments section), news about distro releases, and that the site is a good place to get a little info about various distros. For example: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian

I also like this page there, though I disagree with about half of it. But it does mention Debian, so that part I like 8) Also, as I said before, it is a starting point for newbies.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

However LinuxMint, Ubuntu, PClinuxOS, Centos, Mageia, in my opinion, are NOT major Distributions and I would argue about the top ten status, for reasons already mentioned here.

Debian (of course,) Fedora, Opensuse, Slackware, Arch Linux ARE major Distributions. Also I would add Gentoo into the mix. I want to add LFS but it isn't really a major Distribution, but it should be mentioned with them I think.

FreeBSD is not Linux, of course, but is the number one major BSD distribution.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
---------
Thinking is over rated. Let the Government do it for you.
iceman

Postby Randicus » 2012-04-17 06:24

How can Mint and Ubuntu not be major distributions when they probably are the most popular? Your reasoning eludes me.

Distrowatch is one source of information for those wishing to migrate, but not the only one. I wish I could remember which site I used before making the switch. It is much too long ago for me too remember, but it was a good one. All I remember is that I began with a site called (something)...linux.com or .org.
Randicus

Postby iceman » 2012-04-17 06:27

Randicus wrote:How can Mint and Ubuntu not be major distributions when they probably are the most popular? Your reasoning eludes me.

Distrowatch is one source of information for those wishing to migrate, but not the only one. I wish I could remember which site I used before making the switch. It is much too long ago for me too remember, but it was a good one. All I remember is that I began with a site called (something)...linux.com or .org.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it a major distribution or the best one out there. Debian, for example, is a major distribution. It has been around for a very long time, it has a huge community. It is stable and easy enough to use, even for newbies. Then it has testing and Sid for more advanced users. And to top it off, Debian has branched off into many other distributions, including LinuxMint and Ubuntu. Without Debian, LinuxMint and Ubuntu wouldn't exist. Which makes Debian the major distribution. Same goes for Fedora (Red Hat,) Arch, Suse, etc. I would add Mandriva in the mix, but times are a changing. I suppose Mandrake (before it became Mandriva,) is worth an honorable mention though, but even that one came from Red Hat. Ugh, now that I mentioned the whole Mandrake and Red Hat thing, I should probably mention the Suse did branch off from Slackware early on but now holds its own.

The three oldest distribution's that have been around from the start are, Red Hat, Debian and Slackware.
Last edited by iceman on 2012-04-17 06:49, edited 2 times in total.
---------
iceman

Postby Randicus » 2012-04-17 06:41

When most people refer to major and small distros, it is a reference to the size of the user base, not the quality of the systems nor their age. If age and stability were the criteria determining whether or not a distro is a major one, then the list of major distributions would include Slackware, Debian and ...?
Randicus

Postby iceman » 2012-04-17 06:46

Randicus wrote:When most people refer to major and small distros, it is a reference to the size of the user base, not the quality of the systems nor their age. If age and stability were the criteria determining whether or not a distro is a major one, then the list of major distributions would include Slackware, Debian and ...?

That is where I look at things differently. For example, Linuxmint wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Ubuntu, Ubuntu wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Debian. They are in the Debian Family, along with Knoppix, MEPIS, etc. But none of them would exist, none of them would have a user base, if it wasn't for Debian. Therefore the major distribution has to be Debian. Now the more popular ones may be Ubuntu or Linuxmint. But their user base is thanks to Debian.
---------
iceman

Postby Randicus » 2012-04-17 07:28

Then you are referring to something other than major. I do not know what the preferred term is, but I would use parent distros. Debian, Slackware, Red Hat and Suse (because I believe they are original). I apologise if I have not included anyone else who should be on the list, but my knowledge is far from omniscient.
Randicus

Postby iceman » 2012-04-17 13:42

It is all the wording. Parent is true as well, but for me that means major (not necessarily popular or most used.) But I see things differently, which doesn't mean others are wrong either :mrgreen:
---------
iceman

Postby A_T » 2012-04-17 19:21

There is little point denying that Mint has in Linux terms a huge number of users - just look at the amount of activity on their forums. You might not like it but that's a different issue.
A_T

Postby craigevil » 2012-04-17 21:46

not sure if they still do it but the bit in the Ubuntu irc channel used to spam telling people to click a link to vote on distrowatch. My guess is Mint does the same thing. Debian is consistently in the 5-7 place has been for years.Can't remember the last time i went to distrowatch.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Postby iceman » 2012-04-17 22:18

craigevil wrote:not sure if they still do it but the bit in the Ubuntu irc channel used to spam telling people to click a link to vote on distrowatch. My guess is Mint does the same thing. Debian is consistently in the 5-7 place has been for years.Can't remember the last time i went to distrowatch.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Didn't PCLinuxOS do something like that at one time, which inflated their numbers at Distrowatch? I remember the Ubuntu community was up in arms over that. PCLinuxOS must die was popular then :lol:
---------
iceman

Postby dasein » 2012-04-17 22:23

iceman wrote:Didn't PCLinuxOS do something like that at one time, which inflated their numbers at Distrowatch?

They did something-or-another, back in 2007.

Now, 2007 was PCLOS' best year, in terms of generating user interest. But the meteoric rise to the #1 spot (and #2 for the year as a whole) was confined to DW, and only DW, which led skeptics like myself to note that DW was almost certainly being "gamed" somehow by some newly acquired PCLOS fanbois.
dasein

Postby Randicus » 2012-04-17 23:02

Maybe we should all go to Distrowatch and click the Debian link. Raise Debian to no.1; entice Ubuntu and Mint users to switch to Debian; they come here and post interesting questions. :twisted:
Randicus

Postby dasein » 2012-04-17 23:09

Randicus wrote:...entice Ubuntu and Mint users to switch to Debian...

Yeah just what we need.... :roll:
dasein

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic