Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ServerPronto

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Kurt`

ServerPronto

#1 Post by Kurt` »

Has anyone ever used/known anyone who used www.serverpronto.com ? They offer Debian hosting! :shock:

I just ordered a dedicated server from them. Their support staff seems very nice so far. Hopefully, this will work out well!

Gouki

#2 Post by Gouki »

It looks good. I never heard of them but they look OK.

DreamHost.com is also a very good hosting company. They also use Debian for all their servers, have an excellent support crew, and the best of all, a custom made panel that allows you to do ANYTHING.

I bought my first hosting plan there, around 6 months ago, and have been a happy costumer ever since.

Good luck on your dedicated server! (-:

Kurt`

#3 Post by Kurt` »

I didn't see anything on DreamHost's site for dedicated servers, so I searched around on google (after checking every site I knew of).

I eventually came across: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianHosting

That's where I found ServerPronto's site. :) I was just looking for a cheap dedicated machine, since I need root access + a fat pipe for my projects.

Kurt`

#4 Post by Kurt` »

Bad news already. 8)

Got SSH info. Logged in. Change hostname, update hosts file, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, reboot, server died. :P

I login to file a support ticket, and check their FAQ. I find this under a topic called "reboot failure":
The issue is an error in the 2.6 linux kernel and it's support for the via chipset.

The error is fixed in the 2.6.14 kernel, but not in the software vendors default kernel. You can try updating to the most current vendor kernel, but until they incorporate a patch or move to the 2.6.14 kernel the it will not resolve the issue.

Another option is to download the newest kernel from kernel.org, we will try to support you in every way possible, but cannot gaurantee full suport for the newest kernel.

There is a patch you may be able to apply to a source download of the vendors default kernel.
http://www.pair.lkams.kernel.org/pub/li ... Log-2.6.14

[PATCH] fix reboot via keyboard controller reset
I assumed the repositories they had by default in /etc/apt/sources.list would, you know, actually work for their hardware, so I let it upgrade to 2.6.8.

5 hours later, after filing an urgent "reboot" ticket, no response. Not off to a good start, but we'll see where it goes from here. :D

newmarket

#5 Post by newmarket »

I just had a quick look at ServerPronto's web site and it says that they offer Debian 3.0r2. I wasn't a woody user, but I'm pretty sure that's old stable and not sarge.

Not to be critical, but you often do get what you pay for, $30 is pretty cheap for a dedicated server. As an aside, do you really need a dedicated server? You may want to look at virtual private hosting (your link to debian.org had a few options), or even shared hosting.

In any case, if you're running a business then you need far better support than that.

Good luck!

Kurt`

#6 Post by Kurt` »

Yeah, this server was basically just for messing around, apache/mysql, an ircd, etc. Nothing mission critical. :)

Today, while I was entering the organization info for our SSL cert, I get this message:
Message from syslogd@hellion at Sat Aug 26 10:58:31 2006 ...
hellion kernel: Critical temperature reached (86 C), shutting down.
Broadcast message from root (Sat Aug 26 10:58:31 2006):

The system is going down for system halt NOW!
Seems like they forgot to attach a heatsink/fan to our machine or something. :roll: Load averages were at 0.00 at the time.

Hopefully this will be resolved quickly, or I'll have to take my business elsewhere.

Edit:

They've rebooted the server, and said all the fans are fine... It's still at 76C at 0.00 load averages. Isn't that a bit high for an athlon XP?

cessnaman

serverpronto

#7 Post by cessnaman »

I just got a dedicated server from them on Friday with Webmin, and I loaded the pro version of Virtualmin.

A couple of hours of work later, I notice that I have 40GB hdd instead the 120GB I paid for. They then had to replace it and reimage.

After the reimage, I ran into the reboot problems mentioned earlier. This is now 14 hours after buying the server. Submitted another ticket, and 4 hours later they reimage again.

After that, they tell me my server is up, and tell me to revert back to the original root password. But, guess what, it doesn't work (it should be set in the image, but maybe not). Having not tested it, they pass it back to me. Now I am waiting another 3 hours for that to be fixed. I have submitted a ticket (you can't talk to real people either) to customer service for a full refund. This is the worst service I have ever seen in my life. :(

Kurt`

#8 Post by Kurt` »

Yeah, I'm leaving Serverpronto soon.