Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linspire makes CNR free of charge

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
DeanLinkous

Linspire makes CNR free of charge

#1 Post by DeanLinkous »

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_news_pressreleases.php
Linspire, Inc., developer of the commercial desktop Linux operating system of the same name and Freespire, the free community desktop Linux operating system, announced the immediate change in pricing for its popular CNR ("Click 'N Run") Service from an annual subscription fee based offering to a completely free service.
Is this a offer of free in order to hook people on CNR and hope they buy the ClickNBuy products?

gabriel

#2 Post by gabriel »

What's all the fuss about? Isn't this CNR just like installing software shorough aptitude? After all, I select a package in synaptic, 10 seconds and it's there. I've even heard, that they're going to incorporate it into Ubuntu or something.

Well, good that thay respect the licenses now.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

DeanLinkous

#3 Post by DeanLinkous »

What license?

Well something that has in the past been a pay-for service suddenly becoming free is pretty interesting. I am by no means a fan but finally they are doing something right. Another interesting thing about it is a commercial linux realizing that they have been made near pointless by Ubuntu and having to shift gears to keep up.

I always thought it was insane that they sold a operating system with no supported way of installing software except by paying for a add-on subscription service.