What does your desktop look like?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Lysander » 2017-05-01 19:46

stevepusser wrote:
The shot of Half Dome may have come from this webcam: http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/ or have been taken from the same location. It generates a lot of beautiful wallpaper candidates.

Indeed, thanks for the link. Very interesting to see the same location in different state during the day.

And here's a photo in situ

Lysander

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-05-04 22:18

Debian standard (command line) ... added xorg, openbox, compton (shadow effects), stalonetray (tray) ... and if you edit the openbox menu to have blank label values, leaving just icons ... then the effect is quite nice IMO

If in obconf you set a 1 pixel left screen edge margin, then even if a window is 'full screen' you can still mouse over to the left screen edge and click to access the menu

Openbox Pipe menus options are a nice feature, this one just has a menu item that pulls in the date and time

Add in Brightside for hot corners and set a corner to start skippy-xd ... and you can have a tiled view of all open windows simply by mousing into a corner

From there you can either click to focus, middle or right mouse click to minimise or close the window(s).

All with no KDE, Gnome, LXDE, Xfce ... etc, installed (nice and lightweight ... quick too). That said some elements are worthy of being installed ... pcmanfm file browser, lxinput (keyboard/mouse settings), lxapperance (theme etc.) are good additions IMO.

I've set the key bindings so that left click on the desktop launches the openbox menu and right click starts up the desktop-switch/open-programs menu ... as I'm not fond of the default clicking the middle (scrollwheel in my case) 'button'.
ruffwoof

Previous

Return to Offtopic