Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: What does your desktop look like?

#5671 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

SharpBang 10.3.8 running mx-snapshot under QEMU/KVM in Debian buster GNOME:

deadbang

anticapitalista

#5672 Post by anticapitalista »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:SharpBang 10.3.8 running mx-snapshot under QEMU/KVM in Debian buster GNOME:
Does it produce a bootable iso?
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Head_on_a_Stick

#5673 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

anticapitalista wrote:Does it produce a bootable iso?
Not sure, my virtual disk is too small :(

I'll try again with a bigger disk...

EDIT: it worked :)

deadbang

Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#5674 Post by Zoot »

Bullseye with Xfce.

esp7

#5675 Post by esp7 »

Zoot wrote:I tried out a new Stretch install with the Xfce desktop on a now 12 year old laptop that took me through college back in the day just to amuse myself during the lockdown here in Ireland.

I'm really surprised at how well it runs. It still can hang a little if you try to do too much at once, but it's light-years faster than Windows 10 on the same machine.

I figured Buster might be too much, but given how perfectly usable the Stretch install is I probably should have installed that. The 720p resolution can be a bit of a pain at times mind you.

where can i download this wallpaper? :mrgreen:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

AR15USR

#5676 Post by AR15USR »

Debian 10 w/ KDE

Debian 10 64-bit 4.19.0-13

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5677 Post by Hallvor »

Just for fun. Buster/KDE Plasma with macOS Big Sur theme.

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Drum.be

#5678 Post by Drum.be »

bester69

#5679 Post by bester69 »

bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

DracoSentien

#5680 Post by DracoSentien »

Nothing special. I just switched to IceWM from Gnome on Debian testing last night so I have not had that much time to tweak it. I have a core-i3 and 15 Gigs of RAM but Gnome on Debian testing with firefox was an absolute resource hog especially with RAM it seems but as far as the CPU the hyperthreading should improve from the spectre and meltdown patch hit with kerne 5.9 but Debian Testing Bullseye is running 5.8 currently it seems (patience is a virtue). I like icewm I think it is more for Linux or Unix Gurus than XFCE, KDE or Gnome because it unobtrusive etc.. and you just forget it is there letting you get into a workflow leaving extra RAM and CPU for things such as compiling code or number crunching and you can have terminal windows open with tmux or whatnot but it is not as extreme as ratpoison etc...

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5681 Post by wizard10000 »

Been playing with jgmenu on Sid/openbox - please note that jgmenu is not available in Debian, you have been warned :)

Clickable 1920x1080 screenshot:

After learning that BunsenLabs Lithium is pitching the default openbox menu I wanted to play too and with a little help from HoaS (thanks again) we got it working.

Anyway, I put a search applet at the top of the menu - if a menu is displayed all you have to do is start typing (HoaS, this is what grabbed the keyboard) and jgmenu will search user-defined keywords in .desktop files for applications.

What I did -

Copied all of /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share applications and started hacking up .desktop files to display only what I needed - still in the process of adding keywords to .desktop files.

Did some prepends and appends to the menu so I don't have to navigate menus to get to my favorite applications (this is a dealbreaker for me).

It's a little quirky; if the menu is displayed it grabs the keyboard so a screenshooter hotkey won't work (hence the terminator window with the flameshot timer showing) and I seem to have to right-click the desktop once per session to get the menu to display at all. This appears to be a window focus thing and I may be able to fix it on my own.

edit: fixed it. Changed the right-click mousebind in openbox from "Press" to "Release".

About half a day's work here but I think the new menu is pretty neat.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Head_on_a_Stick

#5682 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

wizard10000 wrote:Been playing with jgmenu on Sid/openbox - please note that jgmenu is not available in Debian, you have been warned :)
The git repository contains a debian/ directory so .debs can be built locally (with 'debuild -us -uc'). Alternatively add the BunsenLabs Lithium repositories and APT key, they always package the latest version.
deadbang

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5683 Post by wizard10000 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The git repository contains a debian/ directory so .debs can be built locally (with 'debuild -us -uc'). Alternatively add the BunsenLabs Lithium repositories and APT key, they always package the latest version.
Direct download here - again, this is not a Debian package but I had no dependency issues on Sid/openbox:

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repoidx.html ... nu#lithium

jgmenu
Version: 4.2.1+bl10-1 (5/22/2020)

Description: Simple X11 menu

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0), libmenu-cache3 (>= 1.1.0), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpng16-16 (>= 1.6.2-1), librsvg2-2 (>= 2.14.4), libx11-6, libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.99.2), python3

Suggests: lxmenu-data

Maintainer: Johan Malm

Homepage: https://jgmenu.github.io/

Source: https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/main/j/jgmenu
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Head_on_a_Stick

#5684 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Debian buster GNOME running xterm and Microsoft's Edge browser:

I like it :mrgreen:
deadbang

bester69

#5685 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Debian buster GNOME running xterm and Microsoft's Edge browser:

I like it :mrgreen:
Microsoft Edge, feels very smooth and fast, but are considered a traitor.. :? :twisted: ...we dont need that parasite having lots of chromium based on browsers
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#5686 Post by bester69 »

DracoSentien wrote:Nothing special. ...

love it, I like her a lot.. :?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5687 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

bester69 wrote:Microsoft Edge, feels very smooth and fast, but are considered a traitor.. :? :twisted: ...we dont need that parasite having lots of chromium based on browsers
I'll tell You a story about about a single advertisement:
Recently, *some company* started an advertisement campaign, based on human stupidity:
The advertisement was based on showing "how wonderful" the 8K television is.
Where's the catch?
--> The advertisement showed for potential buyers was emitted in 4K, because that was the only way for 4K users to receive it...
The conclusion: Lots of people are morons -> if they can see a fantastic "8K" quality images using their old 4K TV hardware, then it means that there's no need to buy a new TV to have "fantastic quality" of video streams.

Don't buy a new TV - save the world, kick the arse of greedy corporations, which are trying to insult your intelligence ... ;)

Regards.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

bester69

#5688 Post by bester69 »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
bester69 wrote:Microsoft Edge, feels very smooth and fast, but are considered a traitor.. :? :twisted: ...we dont need that parasite having lots of chromium based on browsers
I'll tell You a story about about a single advertisement:
Recently, *some company* started an advertisement campaign, based on human stupidity:
The advertisement was based on showing "how wonderful" the 8K television is.
Where's the catch?
--> The advertisement showed for potential buyers was emitted in 4K, because that was the only way for 4K users to receive it...
The conclusion: Lots of people are morons -> if they can see a fantastic "8K" quality images using their old 4K TV hardware, then it means that there's no need to buy a new TV to have "fantastic quality" of video streams.

Don't buy a new TV - save the world, kick the arse of greedy corporations, which are trying to insult your intelligence ... ;)

Regards.
Im agree, what you call morons, are indeed organic portals..we're under massive spiritual rapture.. most people is not real anymore... This is not joke, keep it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5689 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Decided to take a snapshot of my buster system and upgrade it to bullseye:

It was only when I had to remove texlive to get it through the upgrade that I realised the transition freeze isn't until next week but it worked eventually. Go Debian!
deadbang

drLobes

#5690 Post by drLobes »

DracoSentien wrote:Nothing special. I just switched to IceWM from Gnome on Debian testing last night so I have not had that much time to tweak it. I have a core-i3 and 15 Gigs of RAM but Gnome on Debian testing with firefox was an absolute resource hog especially with RAM it seems but as far as the CPU the hyperthreading should improve from the spectre and meltdown patch hit with kerne 5.9 but Debian Testing Bullseye is running 5.8 currently it seems (patience is a virtue). I like icewm I think it is more for Linux or Unix Gurus than XFCE, KDE or Gnome because it unobtrusive etc.. and you just forget it is there letting you get into a workflow leaving extra RAM and CPU for things such as compiling code or number crunching and you can have terminal windows open with tmux or whatnot but it is not as extreme as ratpoison etc...

How dare you call that "nothing special"? Just take a better look at that debianish woman, this is all kinds of special!
Last edited by drLobes on 2021-01-17 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Females and finances don't mix!