Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Fluenza

#316 Post by Fluenza »

Pobega wrote:
Noven wrote:I just perfer darker desktops so I can see text better lol
Well that's true too. A light ~/.conkyrc on a dark desktop is much easier on the eyes than a dark ~/.conkyrc on a light desktop.
But isn't that subjective? Subjective in the sense that it varies from person to person within a given test group. Assuming of course, that every Linux user wants conky on their desktop. (I'm sure there are lots of Linux users that don't want conky on their desktop. Actually, I believe most Linux systems don't even run desktops. i.e. servers)
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

Pobega

#317 Post by Pobega »

Fluenza wrote:
Pobega wrote:
Well that's true too. A light ~/.conkyrc on a dark desktop is much easier on the eyes than a dark ~/.conkyrc on a light desktop.
But isn't that subjective? Subjective in the sense that it varies from person to person within a given test group. Assuming of course, that every Linux user wants conky on their desktop. (I'm sure there are lots of Linux users that don't want conky on their desktop. Actually, I believe most Linux systems don't even run desktops. i.e. servers)
Then we wouldn't be talking about them? We're talking about desktop background, so why would this apply to servers?

And yeah, it may be subject to change from person to person but I think the majority of people would agree that light on dark is easier to read than vice-versa.

Fluenza

#318 Post by Fluenza »

Pobega wrote:
Fluenza wrote:
Pobega wrote: Well that's true too. A light ~/.conkyrc on a dark desktop is much easier on the eyes than a dark ~/.conkyrc on a light desktop.
Then we wouldn't be talking about them? We're talking about desktop background, so why would this apply to servers?

And yeah, it may be subject to change from person to person but I think the majority of people would agree that light on dark is easier to read than vice-versa.
Actually, we were talking about Linux users as a whole. Desktops were used only as one element of a Linux users outward appearance. Outward in the sense that Linux users are particularly fond of displaying their desktops to the world at large. Arguably, a passive form of exhibitionism. Personal expression, no? A message of "this is who I am. This is what I like."

Generally, people prefer not to reveal things about themselves that they find distasteful. And for purposes of illustration, the Linux users who choose not to reveal their Linux lives are very much relevant. Linux is a workhorse. Most Linux users don't display their workhorses. ;)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

Burnside

#319 Post by Burnside »

Ahem. Back on topic:

It's Gnome. I have some power to play with now, so I'm giving the big DEs a shot again. I'll whip out a KDE screenie when I give it a try next month.

morax

#320 Post by morax »

Last edited by morax on 2007-03-23 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

thamarok

#321 Post by thamarok »

1) I am not from Alberta.
2) I did read your post, just wanted to point out that it hasn't anything to do with a person's life.
3) You can do a research without having any facts, but many wont trust you :)
4) Yes, I do use pink boxers.
5) No I did not date with your GNUfriend (assuming that you are one of those who doesn't have girlfriends but GNUfriends..)
6) I do have an elder brother.
7) My favourite color is invisible.

I hope that answers all your questions, Fluenza.

Dargor

#322 Post by Dargor »

Fluenza wrote:
Pobega wrote:
Noven wrote:I
where you only reading only what you wanted, he wasnt assuming every linux user wants conky, he was mearly saying what he prefers.

for someone who isnt doing a psyc analisis of linux users you seem to be doing a bit of it.
tharmok wrote: ..
fluenza wrote: ..
so you were haveing a rant about something you dont agree with... what does the psyc analisis say about that.

now for my view, we listen to leeter music because we are leeter, or at least thats how i see myself, with the music comes the wallpapers. Darker desktops being easyer on the eyes is important thing to, looking at a bright desktop all day can hurt.
slashdot has something to say about it to "http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl? ... 21/2321225"

is it my turn now for your non researchingly analyisis.

Fluenza

#323 Post by Fluenza »

thamarok wrote: 2) I did read your post, just wanted to point out that it hasn't anything to do with a person's life.
You read my most but missed this line:

Or if you're like me, you could reject the quasi-psychobabble and say, "Dude, it's an operating system. I use it because it works. I change it because I can. I choose it because I'm me."
I hope that answers all your questions, Fluenza.
I didn't really ask you any questions. I joking asked if you were from Alberta. If you read my post in another thread, you would have realized that it was a joke. Plus, the little smilie should have tipped ya off too. :p

Fluenza

#324 Post by Fluenza »

Dargor wrote:
where you only reading only what you wanted, he wasnt assuming every linux user wants conky, he was mearly saying what he prefers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but conky is an application that places system information on your desktop. Obviously, one would want some contrast when using an application like conky. The point was that most Linux applications do not produce output directly on the desktop. Usually you would be using other applications (like web browsers, word processors, etcetera) which do not require such a stark contrast to the background image.

Also, if you never noticed, most applications default to black text on white backgrounds. Word processors, spreadsheets, web browsers, just about everything. Now I'm certain that someone somewhere must have done some research on this and determined that black text on a white background is preferential for most users. We see this in the Mac and Windows world too. So there must be something to it.

Dargor wrote: so you were haveing a rant about something you dont agree with... what does the psyc analisis say about that.
I don't know about the psych analysis, because I'm not a psychiatrist or even a psychologist. But yes, I was ranting about something that I don't agree with. I was ranting about how people can make incorrect judgment calls based on only a very narrow snapshot. In this case, the very narrow snapshot was the desktop of a Linux user or the fact that a person chooses Linux over Windows or a Macintosh. I'm constantly judged my self-righteous losers that look at little things and make judgments in the absence of fact.

If you reread my post, you will see that I offered pseudo pscho-babble based on very little information. Then I rejected the entire premise of the post in my closing comments. It's not a unique writing style. You build something up and then knock it down. It's done to illustrate flaws in logic and reasoning.
now for my view, we listen to leeter music because we are leeter, or at least thats how i see myself, with the music comes the wallpapers. Darker desktops being easyer on the eyes is important thing to, looking at a bright desktop all day can hurt.
slashdot has something to say about it to "http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl? ... 21/2321225"

is it my turn now for your non researchingly analyisis.
Only that you selectively choose which words will enter your thought process. :p Kind of reminds me of a dude that goes by the handle "The Clone". He banned me from his forums for insulting him with a "big" word. (I mean "big" literally. Nine letters!) The problem was that he didn't look the word up in the dictionary. If he had, he would have seen that my alleged insult was actually a compliment.

Noven

#325 Post by Noven »

I dont really see how this has progressed the "Show us your desktop" theme.

Fluenza

#326 Post by Fluenza »

Noven wrote:I dont really see how this has progressed the "Show us your desktop" theme.
I don't imagine you see too much. That's all I'm gonna say.

Noven

#327 Post by Noven »

Damn you just NEVER quit do you? Im really starting to get irritated and offended.

Dargor

#328 Post by Dargor »

lol, well bringing things back on track. here's my first uploaded screenshot.
as you can see i did a good bit of poseing, playing nethack minesweeper and doing a bit of port scanning, all while looking upon the most sexy gun in the world.

sorry i forgot to get juk to popup at the right time. and the network meter(in conky) looks a bit bare.

i use juk as im in love with the random album feture.

_FOCUS_

#329 Post by _FOCUS_ »

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

m0kap

#330 Post by m0kap »

Openbox on Debian Sid:

Ob-Theme: DarkGraph
GTK-Theme: MurrinaGSM
Wallpaper from http://interfacelift.com/

Cheers!

GMouse

#331 Post by GMouse »

Linkage

Gnome, with an image from Desktopography and Beryl 2.1

morax

#332 Post by morax »

garrincha

#333 Post by garrincha »

Righhhhht :lol:

Screenshot of Debian/Etch Fluxbox desktop

Fluxbox 1.0rc3 + xcompmgr - shadow & transparency worked very well. I used xcompmgr from source tarball.

See Fluxbox + transparency wiki.

(wallpaper: http://digitalblasphemy.com/dbhome.shtml)

Screenshot of Debian/Unstable E17 destop from www.edevlop.org
(wallpaper: http://www.savinoff.com/home/)
Last edited by garrincha on 2007-04-03 01:25, edited 2 times in total.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Pobega

#334 Post by Pobega »

That makes me want to try out E17 again. Is it in any of the Debian repositories? (I can't seem to find it using packages.debian.org)

rasebo

#335 Post by rasebo »

Pobega wrote:That makes me want to try out E17 again. Is it in any of the Debian repositories? (I can't seem to find it using packages.debian.org)
Try this: http://gefechtsdienst.de/uman/E17/repository/index.html