Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
MARKMENTAL

Re: What does your desktop look like?

#5131 Post by MARKMENTAL »

@ruffwoof
Yeah the only backports I use on my jessie installation is the mozila firefox-esr one. Since if I can get the latest release of an ESR stable firefox, why not?

Code: Select all

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ jessie-backports firefox-esr

Lysander

#5132 Post by Lysander »

How I like it - dark and minimalist. This is my first Debian install, coming from Ubuntu then Mint. Debian was a bit more of a learning curve, but I'm very happy to be here.

Linadian

#5133 Post by Linadian »

Lysander wrote:How I like it - dark and minimalist. This is my first Debian install, coming from Ubuntu then Mint. Debian was a bit more of a learning curve, but I'm very happy to be here.

Yep, Debian is more DIY, but it's worth it, the 'buntus are more like training wheels, and they have been known to add 'tweaks' (especially in browsers, this is why I switched to Pale Moon) to generate revenue, Canonical is a corporation, corporations love money. I occasionally make donations to FOSS projects that deserve it.

Edit: Corrected grammar error.
Linux Registered User 533946

sjukfan

#5134 Post by sjukfan »

Openbox, tint2... yeah... that's it. Usually filled with tons and tons of windows. The grey area is outside monitor area, the right screen is flipped so it's 1024x1280, great for emails or reading pdfs or whatsnot.

Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

debiman

#5135 Post by debiman »

sjukfan wrote:Openbox, tint2... yeah... that's it. Usually filled with tons and tons of windows. The grey area is outside monitor area, the right screen is flipped so it's 1024x1280, great for emails or reading pdfs or whatsnot.

http://i.imgur.com/KUix4wa.jpg
heh, really nice background images.
unfortunately i'm not so good with pop icons; care to explain a little?

sjukfan

#5136 Post by sjukfan »

debiman wrote: heh, really nice background images.
unfortunately i'm not so good with pop icons; care to explain a little?
On the left we have Zee Captain from the web comic Romantically Apocalyptic. It's... a bit weird. But hey, so am I 8) It's important to read all the way down to the comments on every page or you'll miss a lot. Later on the comments of other readers can be pretty useful because there might be things you've missed.
On the right, just Lord Vader having a cuppa. Got to do something to calm his nerves some times :D
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

debiman

#5137 Post by debiman »

^ thanks!
i thought maybe there was some sort of meme about d. vader drinking tea...

ruffwoof

#5138 Post by ruffwoof »

GarryRicketson wrote:Debian stretch, with Xorg and OpenBox, on VirtualBox VM,..
Host system, Debian 7 wheezy,
Very minimal, no DE, no Libre Office, etc,...
Debian Jessie standard liveCD (console only), added xorg and openbox and it was quite nice. Added tint and tweaked around a bit and it was nicer. Started adding more (Libre, Skype, Kodi, Openbox ...etc) and overall very quick operationally, especially when booted as a single filesystem.squashfs (frugally)
Less than 15 second bootup on my old hardware ... very nice!

Lysander

#5139 Post by Lysander »

ruffwoof wrote: Debian Jessie standard liveCD (console only), added xorg and openbox and it was quite nice. Added tint and tweaked around a bit and it was nicer. Started adding more (Libre, Skype, Kodi, Openbox ...etc) and overall very quick operationally, especially when booted as a single filesystem.squashfs (frugally)
Less than 15 second bootup on my old hardware ... very nice!
You just made me time mine! From POST, 19 seconds to login screen on 8.7. Not bad!

And for the thread, my most recent desktop.

ruffwoof

#5140 Post by ruffwoof »

Lysander wrote:You just made me time mine! From POST, 19 seconds to login screen on 8.7. Not bad!
Love your wallpaper of Half Dome, Yosemite National Park (California) (searched using Tiny Eye reverse image search) :)

systemd-analyze plot >s.svg and then viewing the (large) svg file shows that wicd (network) is the bottleneck for me. Without that would be a second or two faster. My setup gets to the login prompt and networking messages are still showing as I've entered the userid and password, so perhaps the timing might be several seconds less if I swapped wicd out ... but I like it personally.

I have seen others with newer kit down at 5 seconds :mrgreen:

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5141 Post by None1975 »

Minimal Debian 8.7 install. I added xorg and i3wm. 14 sec. to login screen.
Also i use i3lock as my screenlocker. Here screenshot with windows 2000 desktop :D :D :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

GarryRicketson

#5142 Post by GarryRicketson »

I am reminded now why I do not use windows, nothing works , and where is the terminal, ?
I think I will just stay with Debian, or Open Bsd
Debian 7, OpenBox WM

ruffwoof

#5143 Post by ruffwoof »

None1975 wrote:Minimal Debian 8.7 install. I added xorg and i3wm. 14 sec. to login screen.
14.9 sec. Debian Jessie standard, xorg, openbox, stalonetray (openbox tray dock that I have set to be in the top left corner and auto-hides, but mouse into that corner and you get to see/use the Skype, wicd ...etc tray icons), brightside (so corners can be set as hot corners) that has the bottom left set to activate (non Debian) skippy-xd ... so mouse into the bottom left and it presents a tiled set of current active/minimised windows for you to select which one to activate/switch-to.

Short Video

I've used openbox config to set the left side margin to 2 pixels wide so that when a window otherwise takes up the whole screen you can mouse over to there and right click to activate the menu

Job

#5144 Post by Job »

spectrwm on stretch.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

Lysander

#5145 Post by Lysander »

ruffwoof wrote:
Lysander wrote:You just made me time mine! From POST, 19 seconds to login screen on 8.7. Not bad!
Love your wallpaper of Half Dome, Yosemite National Park (California) (searched using Tiny Eye reverse image search) :)

systemd-analyze plot >s.svg and then viewing the (large) svg file shows that wicd (network) is the bottleneck for me. Without that would be a second or two faster. My setup gets to the login prompt and networking messages are still showing as I've entered the userid and password, so perhaps the timing might be several seconds less if I swapped wicd out ... but I like it personally.

Thanks for the confirmation of location! I had no idea where it was but suspected it was somewhere in the US. What a beautiful location.

Are we counting from switching on the computer or from when GRUB loads the OS? If it's the latter I'm sure for me it's about 7-8 seconds or so till the login screen.

EDIT: Just timed it, 7 seconds.

ruffwoof

#5146 Post by ruffwoof »

Lysander wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:I have seen others with newer kit down at 5 seconds :mrgreen:
Are we counting from switching on the computer or from when GRUB loads the OS? If it's the latter I'm sure for me it's about 7-8 seconds or so till the login screen.

systemd-analyze time I guess. If you count from when turning the PC on ... well mine takes ages to run through BIOS and then waits a while for me to maybe press DEL or a Fn key ... before finally getting to the grub menu :( That alone is around a 30 second wait on mine. Then more usually another 30 seconds to get to the Debian login prompt.

GarryRicketson

#5147 Post by GarryRicketson »

That is all very nice, but let's keep in mind the topic is :

What does your desktop look like?
Not "How fast can your computer boot"
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
7.Stay on topic. Sometimes threads morph into something completely off topic, this is unavoidable when a bunch of people communicate. However, try to limit the off topic discussions to the off topic category. Long off topic discussions in other categories might get moved or locked.
Discussions in "Off topic" should still be in the spirit of this board, that is related to Linux/ Computers/ Software etc. Political, religious or racial discussions do not belong on this board.
Avoid 'thread hijacking'. Unless your question is directly related to the thread's topic, start a new one.

stevepusser

#5148 Post by stevepusser »

Lysander wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation of location! I had no idea where it was but suspected it was somewhere in the US. What a beautiful location.

The shot of Half Dome may have come from this webcam: http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/ or have been taken from the same location. It generates a lot of beautiful wallpaper candidates.
MX Linux packager and developer

Lysander

#5149 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:
The shot of Half Dome may have come from this webcam: http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/ or have been taken from the same location. It generates a lot of beautiful wallpaper candidates.
Indeed, thanks for the link. Very interesting to see the same location in different state during the day.

And here's a photo in situ

ruffwoof

#5150 Post by ruffwoof »

Debian standard (command line) ... added xorg, openbox, compton (shadow effects), stalonetray (tray) ... and if you edit the openbox menu to have blank label values, leaving just icons ... then the effect is quite nice IMO

If in obconf you set a 1 pixel left screen edge margin, then even if a window is 'full screen' you can still mouse over to the left screen edge and click to access the menu

Openbox Pipe menus options are a nice feature, this one just has a menu item that pulls in the date and time

Add in Brightside for hot corners and set a corner to start skippy-xd ... and you can have a tiled view of all open windows simply by mousing into a corner

From there you can either click to focus, middle or right mouse click to minimise or close the window(s).

All with no KDE, Gnome, LXDE, Xfce ... etc, installed (nice and lightweight ... quick too). That said some elements are worthy of being installed ... pcmanfm file browser, lxinput (keyboard/mouse settings), lxapperance (theme etc.) are good additions IMO.

I've set the key bindings so that left click on the desktop launches the openbox menu and right click starts up the desktop-switch/open-programs menu ... as I'm not fond of the default clicking the middle (scrollwheel in my case) 'button'.